3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Door panel rattle: FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Door panel rattle: FIXED!

After about 5k miles my door panels started to sqeek and rattle on bumpy roads and by just hitting them when stopped. I took it to the dealer and of course they said nothing. The guy told me how to take the panels off so one day I did and found the problem. On the edges of the panel there are little nubs that I guess are supose to keep the panel just barely off the door. Some of mine had the felt on them and some the felt had come off. Well, the ones where the felt came off were rubbing the door, plastic to metal, and making all the noise. I went and bought some adhesive back medium duty felt in sheets, like 6in x 6in or so. I cut 1/2-3/4 inch strips and stuck them to the metal door all along where the edge of the panel meets the door. I put the door panel back on and what da know, no more rattle! Hopefully this will help others too, it drove me nuts to drive my truck for awile until I got this fixed. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Cowboy, that's been driving me nuts too...I work in Walnut Creek, I'll stop by your place on my commute home and you can fix it for me, no?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Do you drive Marsh Creek Rd? I can meet you one day if you want to check it out.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Occasionally I take Marsh Creek, too many impatient drivers out there, especially around the Deer Valley area of the road.

I appreciate the offer, but you explained it perfectly, I'll get the wife to do it.

So who do you use for service? Lithia, Delta/Antioch, Brentwood, or Butler Conti? I use Butler due to proximity of work, but I'm always looking for the best servicer.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:41 AM

Well, I bought the truck in Woodland at Hoblit/Haynes so I have been going there. It's only been there twice. I would like to find a dealer a little closer that I trust though. My buddie goes to Brentwood so I thought of checking that place out.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

thanks cowboy, my drivers door is driving me nuts. now i have to take the door apart.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cowboy45
After about 5k miles my door panels started to sqeek and rattle on bumpy roads and by just hitting them when stopped. I took it to the dealer and of course they said nothing. The guy told me how to take the panels off so one day I did and found the problem. On the edges of the panel there are little nubs that I guess are supose to keep the panel just barely off the door. Some of mine had the felt on them and some the felt had come off. Well, the ones where the felt came off were rubbing the door, plastic to metal, and making all the noise. I went and bought some adhesive back medium duty felt in sheets, like 6in x 6in or so. I cut 1/2-3/4 inch strips and stuck them to the metal door all along where the edge of the panel meets the door. I put the door panel back on and what da know, no more rattle! Hopefully this will help others too, it drove me nuts to drive my truck for awile until I got this fixed. Good luck.
Oh wow, this made my day!!! My passenger door started squeaking and popping over every bump with about 800 miles on the odo. It has been driving me crazy for several months now. I've been hesitant to take the panel off because I figured I wouldn't be able to find anything that stands out as being the problem. Now that I know what to look for, I'm going to fix er up. Thanks again. I think this should be placed as a sticky on this forum because I've seen lots and lots of posts about noisy door panels.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy45
Did you buy the kind of adhesive felt you would put under furniture legs on a hardwood floor? How thick? (Thanks!)
Old 02-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTed
Did you buy the kind of adhesive felt you would put under furniture legs on a hardwood floor? How thick? (Thanks!)
Yes it's like that. I really didn't know what I was looking for when I started. I went to OSH and checked it all out. I ended up liking the felt (vs. rubber etc.), I was going to get the round pre-cut pads but then I saw the sheets and went with those. They had light duty pads and medium and heavy duty sheets, the medium seemed just right and was about an 1/8 inch or less. I'm glad I went the sheets for 2 reasons, since you cut them in strips you don't have to be presice where you put them to line up with the "nubs" and since the door panel has to be slid up and out and then put back in and down the felt allows the nubs to slide on the felt on not get caught if you were to use, lets say, the pre-cut pads..........understand? I put the strips end to end from top to bottom so it does not look bad (no start and stop strips), cause you can see the felt when your done. If anybody needs more info, I can go back to osh and see exactly what I used.
I can't say this is a fix for everbody, I just wanted to share what worked for me. I hope it works for ya'll too but if it doesn't sorry I led you in the wrong direction. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 PM

Thanks!