3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ball joint help please reply

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ball joint help please reply

I think my ball joints might be going bad, but I am not sure. How can you check? Is it usually the upper or lower ball joints that go bad? Is this a DIY job or should I get my mechanic to do it? Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:09 PM

No one? Really?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had mine done by mechanic as I didnt have the time or tools to do it myself.It's quit a bit of work to do.While your at it if they need to be done ,do the axle u joints and hub bearings since it's all gonna be apart anyway.Either top or bottom can go bad.Do a search for ball joints tons of info on here.I used XRF upper and lowers seem very high quality and many on here use them.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 AM

jack up the truck, grap the top of the wheel and push/pull if it moves you need uppers, do same at bottom of wheel, then get a prybar put under the bottom of the wheel then lift up, I believe its max 60thou play, any more requires replacement.

to remove if you have never done it, might be a handful
you need to remove rotor/hub assy/axel just to acess the spindle and ball joints. there are tricks along the way to make it easier, but you will need some tooling and a ball joint press to make the job easier or in some cases even possible
Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by nickg
jack up the truck, grap the top of the wheel and push/pull if it moves you need uppers, do same at bottom of wheel, then get a prybar put under the bottom of the wheel then lift up, I believe its max 60thou play, any more requires replacement.

to remove if you have never done it, might be a handful
you need to remove rotor/hub assy/axel just to acess the spindle and ball joints. there are tricks along the way to make it easier, but you will need some tooling and a ball joint press to make the job easier or in some cases even possible
X2, X3. I did XRFs with a standard ball joint tool and it was a royal PITA! Not the XRFs, just the job (I also did the hubs at the same time). The regular OTC ball joint tool throat is just a tad too shallow and you have to maneuver the tool, the adapters or make additional ones. If you've never done ball joints or used the ball joint tool, I strongly recommend you have it done by someone that knows what they are doing. One final caution if you decide to try it yourself:
DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS ON THE BALL JOINT TOOL.IF IT FAILS, YOU WILL EAT THE TOOL