Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   #2 diesel vs the new lower sulfer tree hugger stuff (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/2-diesel-vs-new-lower-sulfer-tree-hugger-stuff-210656/)

Pav1973 07-10-2008 06:07 AM

#2 diesel vs the new lower sulfer tree hugger stuff

I have no idea what is in the new stuff out there but for some reason I get more mpg out of #2 diesel,few days ago I filled upwith reg diesel and got 5mpg less out of it even with an a fuel additive,would it be becuse the or the low sulfer or ???

Pav

MikeyB 07-10-2008 06:59 AM

Hard to say in your situation but I did see about a 1-2mpg drop when switching from LSD to ULSD.

MikeyB

cdennyb 07-10-2008 10:36 AM

There's several factors I've seen contribute to lower MPG's in my situation.
The time of year, the ULSD, and the road friction factor since I bought a new set of rubber shoes for the 'ol girl. I saw a drop of around 3-5 with all these factors going against me. My best MPG is in the fall and spring (not dead of winter though) when it's cool, occassionally drizzle rain conditions and a set of almost worn out tires that are harder and smoother than the new ones. The ULSD sucks. I try to use the straight no#2 stuff every chance I get. I found a farmer with 10,000 gallons (that was the tank size) of old #2 and when I did some hauling for him he would fill me up for the trip, (part of the deal, and no it wasn't red stuff either), my truck ran better (it seemed) and cooler and had more power too (seat of the pants feel). So, I'm a firm believer that the gov't (especially California) doesn't know jack about saving fuel or the world. LoL

garbri 07-15-2008 12:40 PM

the sulfur gave the fuel some lube, and apparently the pumps and injectors liked it.

I now put a quart of 2-stroke oil in with a full tank of fuel, or I use about 20% biodiesel in a tank. Both have made the engine quieter, and the mileage is back up.

garrett

BroncoHound 07-15-2008 11:45 PM

My family of hotshots have noticed no difference whatsoever in power or fuel economy between LSD and ULSD on my '01, my father's '05, my uncle's '06, and my cousin's 6.0 PSD. Of course, we all use Power Service with every tank.

Eddy Reyes 07-16-2008 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by cdennyb (Post 2142716)
There's several factors I've seen contribute to lower MPG's in my situation.
The time of year, the ULSD, and the road friction factor since I bought a new set of rubber shoes for the 'ol girl. I saw a drop of around 3-5 with all these factors going against me. My best MPG is in the fall and spring (not dead of winter though) when it's cool, occassionally drizzle rain conditions and a set of almost worn out tires that are harder and smoother than the new ones. The ULSD sucks. I try to use the straight no#2 stuff every chance I get. I found a farmer with 10,000 gallons (that was the tank size) of old #2 and when I did some hauling for him he would fill me up for the trip, (part of the deal, and no it wasn't red stuff either), my truck ran better (it seemed) and cooler and had more power too (seat of the pants feel). So, I'm a firm believer that the gov't (especially California) doesn't know jack about saving fuel or the world. LoL

"So, I'm a firm believer that the gov't (especially California) doesn't know jack about saving fuel or the world. LoL"

Make it 2 (from Kali to)

rustbucket 07-16-2008 08:58 AM

I haven't seen much differance, in my 93. It seems to have the same power, and mpg, as it did before the change over. Now the price of the stuff, that's another thing. Toltaly ridiculous.[verymad]

cbrahs 07-16-2008 09:32 AM

it is my understanding that you can't even get LSD fuel anymore. where you guys getting it?

Ya, chalk another dumb arese move for Commyfornia.

rockcrawler304 07-16-2008 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by garbri (Post 2147478)
the sulfur gave the fuel some lube, and apparently the pumps and injectors liked it.

I now put a quart of 2-stroke oil in with a full tank of fuel, or I use about 20% biodiesel in a tank. Both have made the engine quieter, and the mileage is back up.

garrett

The sulfur itself does not give lube. It is the process of removing the sulfur that also removes the lubricating properties of the fuel.

Anyways, running the bio and/or the 2 stroke like you are doing is a great idea.

chipmonk 07-16-2008 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs (Post 2148421)
it is my understanding that you can't even get LSD fuel anymore. where you guys getting it?

some truck stops still have the LSD. they don't have to completely get rid of it 'till 2010.

cbrahs 07-16-2008 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk (Post 2148563)
some truck stops still have the LSD. they don't have to completely get rid of it 'till 2010.

for some reason that does not sound right. all the new trucks are ULSD ONLY and they will cut your warranty if the LSD fuel causes problems (which i doubt would but dodge would be on the band wagon for "bad fuel")

chipmonk 07-16-2008 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs (Post 2148727)
for some reason that does not sound right. all the new trucks are ULSD ONLY and they will cut your warranty if the LSD fuel causes problems (which i doubt would but dodge would be on the band wagon for "bad fuel")

By December 1, 2010, all highway diesel will be ULSD. Non-road diesel transitioned to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and to ULSD in 2010. Locomotive and marine diesel also transitioned to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and to ULSD in 2012. There are exemptions for small refiners of nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel that allow for 500 ppm diesel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel produced and imported will be ULSD.

cbrahs 07-16-2008 03:41 PM

thank you for clearing that up for me!

chipmonk 07-16-2008 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs (Post 2148790)
thank you for clearing that up for me!

you're welcome. i'd like to find a station near me that's selling LSD too. there was one, and my truck ran great when i filled up there, but they recently changed over to ULSD.

hammerjammer 07-16-2008 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound (Post 2148188)
My family of hotshots have noticed no difference whatsoever in power or fuel economy between LSD and ULSD on my '01, my father's '05, my uncle's '06, and my cousin's 6.0 PSD. Of course, we all use Power Service with every tank.

Same here.Truck runs good and no difference in mileage, with no additives,well I do once in awhile use some marvel mystery oil,but can't tell that it helps anything.