3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

#2 diesel vs the new lower sulfer tree hugger stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#2 diesel vs the new lower sulfer tree hugger stuff

I have no idea what is in the new stuff out there but for some reason I get more mpg out of #2 diesel,few days ago I filled upwith reg diesel and got 5mpg less out of it even with an a fuel additive,would it be becuse the or the low sulfer or ???

Pav
Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard to say in your situation but I did see about a 1-2mpg drop when switching from LSD to ULSD.

MikeyB
Old 07-10-2008, 10:36 AM

There's several factors I've seen contribute to lower MPG's in my situation.
The time of year, the ULSD, and the road friction factor since I bought a new set of rubber shoes for the 'ol girl. I saw a drop of around 3-5 with all these factors going against me. My best MPG is in the fall and spring (not dead of winter though) when it's cool, occassionally drizzle rain conditions and a set of almost worn out tires that are harder and smoother than the new ones. The ULSD sucks. I try to use the straight no#2 stuff every chance I get. I found a farmer with 10,000 gallons (that was the tank size) of old #2 and when I did some hauling for him he would fill me up for the trip, (part of the deal, and no it wasn't red stuff either), my truck ran better (it seemed) and cooler and had more power too (seat of the pants feel). So, I'm a firm believer that the gov't (especially California) doesn't know jack about saving fuel or the world. LoL
Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM

the sulfur gave the fuel some lube, and apparently the pumps and injectors liked it.

I now put a quart of 2-stroke oil in with a full tank of fuel, or I use about 20% biodiesel in a tank. Both have made the engine quieter, and the mileage is back up.

garrett
Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My family of hotshots have noticed no difference whatsoever in power or fuel economy between LSD and ULSD on my '01, my father's '05, my uncle's '06, and my cousin's 6.0 PSD. Of course, we all use Power Service with every tank.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdennyb
There's several factors I've seen contribute to lower MPG's in my situation.
The time of year, the ULSD, and the road friction factor since I bought a new set of rubber shoes for the 'ol girl. I saw a drop of around 3-5 with all these factors going against me. My best MPG is in the fall and spring (not dead of winter though) when it's cool, occassionally drizzle rain conditions and a set of almost worn out tires that are harder and smoother than the new ones. The ULSD sucks. I try to use the straight no#2 stuff every chance I get. I found a farmer with 10,000 gallons (that was the tank size) of old #2 and when I did some hauling for him he would fill me up for the trip, (part of the deal, and no it wasn't red stuff either), my truck ran better (it seemed) and cooler and had more power too (seat of the pants feel). So, I'm a firm believer that the gov't (especially California) doesn't know jack about saving fuel or the world. LoL
"So, I'm a firm believer that the gov't (especially California) doesn't know jack about saving fuel or the world. LoL"

Make it 2 (from Kali to)
Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 AM

I haven't seen much differance, in my 93. It seems to have the same power, and mpg, as it did before the change over. Now the price of the stuff, that's another thing. Toltaly ridiculous.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
it is my understanding that you can't even get LSD fuel anymore. where you guys getting it?

Ya, chalk another dumb arese move for Commyfornia.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by garbri
the sulfur gave the fuel some lube, and apparently the pumps and injectors liked it.

I now put a quart of 2-stroke oil in with a full tank of fuel, or I use about 20% biodiesel in a tank. Both have made the engine quieter, and the mileage is back up.

garrett
The sulfur itself does not give lube. It is the process of removing the sulfur that also removes the lubricating properties of the fuel.

Anyways, running the bio and/or the 2 stroke like you are doing is a great idea.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
it is my understanding that you can't even get LSD fuel anymore. where you guys getting it?
some truck stops still have the LSD. they don't have to completely get rid of it 'till 2010.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by chipmonk
some truck stops still have the LSD. they don't have to completely get rid of it 'till 2010.
for some reason that does not sound right. all the new trucks are ULSD ONLY and they will cut your warranty if the LSD fuel causes problems (which i doubt would but dodge would be on the band wagon for "bad fuel")
Old 07-16-2008, 03:35 PM

for some reason that does not sound right. all the new trucks are ULSD ONLY and they will cut your warranty if the LSD fuel causes problems (which i doubt would but dodge would be on the band wagon for "bad fuel")

By December 1, 2010, all highway diesel will be ULSD. Non-road diesel transitioned to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and to ULSD in 2010. Locomotive and marine diesel also transitioned to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and to ULSD in 2012. There are exemptions for small refiners of nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel that allow for 500 ppm diesel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, nonroad, locomotive and marine diesel produced and imported will be ULSD.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Chapter President

thank you for clearing that up for me!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM

thank you for clearing that up for me!
you're welcome. i'd like to find a station near me that's selling LSD too. there was one, and my truck ran great when i filled up there, but they recently changed over to ULSD.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
My family of hotshots have noticed no difference whatsoever in power or fuel economy between LSD and ULSD on my '01, my father's '05, my uncle's '06, and my cousin's 6.0 PSD. Of course, we all use Power Service with every tank.
Same here.Truck runs good and no difference in mileage, with no additives,well I do once in awhile use some marvel mystery oil,but can't tell that it helps anything.

Quick Reply: #2 diesel vs the new lower sulfer tree hugger stuff