3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

How do I flush fluid & bleed my South Bend clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How do I flush fluid & bleed my South Bend clutch?

Hey everyone. I have a South Bend dd clutch in my 08 ctd. G56 Trans. I installed the clutch about 50k ago. Trans has been getting hard to shift. Fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir is dirty. I think I need to flush it, refill and bleed it. But I have no idea how to go about it. Searched here & YouTube and didn't come across anything.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Old 03-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Guys, I really need some help here. Don't have much experience with hydraulic clutches. Found that my slave cylinder on the side of the Trans could be wiggled & rotated 360 degrees. Is this normal? I tightened up the 2 nuts and topped off the fluid. No change in shift quality. Any advice is appreciated. Pic of slave cylinder is attached
Attached Thumbnails How do I flush fluid & bleed my South Bend clutch?-1457111190941.jpg  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:56 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You haven't been able to find any bleeder valves at master or slave? I'm no expert as I have an automatic :-), however, it could be bypassing internally at master or slave. I suppose you don't see any leakage or where air could get in? Bleeding sounds like a good first step. I'm sure there is someone much more knowledgeable on this to chime in soon.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 PM

Thanks for replying mega. I don't see any obvious drips. I have the south Bend upgraded hydraulics and I don't see a bleeder anywhere. I just read dieseljunkies thread on his issues with the clutch and Trans and he wasn't able to bleed his either. My issue isn't quite the same as his though
Old 03-04-2016, 12:21 PM
"California Style"

My only experience with hydraulic clutches was in a car and either the slave or master cylinder bypassing internally. If this is the case then be careful because the clutch can be burned/worn out quickly due to the slippage during engagement which seems to also cause hard to shift... I would hit up the experts at Southbend or where you attained your parts.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM

I have an update for anyone watching this. Turns out I got one of the older clutch systems that has a manufacturing defect. The pins on the flywheel have come loose and kept pressure on my clutch causing it to wear out early. I had called south Bend & spoken to a wonderfully nice fella named Ryan. He had me run a couple diagnosis tests and when those didn't work out I had to pull my transmission and take really good pics of everything at each side of disassembly. I emailed the pics to Ryan and he called me back within 30 minutes of my sending him pictures. Quick phone conversation and he sent me a brand new, upgraded clutch, flywheel & hydraulics. I'm getting the whole brand spanking new upgraded current version at no charge.
I'm now a South Bend clutch man for life. Excellent customer service. Should be getting my new clutch Friday, so I I'll be installing it Friday evening. I'm thinking about documenting the installation and doing a write up if anyone is interested.
The following users liked this post:
imaybail (04-23-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 05:20 PM
"California Style"

That is awesome news to a difficult situation. Thanks for letting us know the result/outcome and information about Southbend standing behind their products and giving great customer service.