3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Help..Urgent..Truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help..Urgent..Truck wont start

ok...took truck to dealer for a vibration in front end. they test drove it several times to see if they solved vibration. the last time the truck would not start. it would just turn over and over. i had them tow it to my shop and today i deleted egr and dpf and installed smarty jr. the truck will still not crank...it sounds to me as if there is air in the fuel lines. i ran the truck out of fuel this summer and put 5 gal in it and it cranked right up...how do you bleed the air out? i have tried to let the electric fuel pump prime but still not cranking. there was alot of soot in my egr valve and around the grid heater...could one of the injectors be stopped up?
the only code i have is P-0489-EGR Control Circuit Low. please help. i am at my wits end!!

p.s.
i noticed that my clutch feels like it has gone out. it is real stiff..almost hard to push in. however it was towed today and the drive shaft is out. if that matters
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok sure fire (yet messy) way to see if you are getting fuel

Open the drain on the fuel water seperator and bump the key. If you get it there, its getting to the injector pump.

You dont need to bleed these systems, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to crack the injectors to bleed on a common rail truck. The rail pressures are way to high and your gonna get hurt.

I have changed both of my fuel filters and replaced dry, with 3 to 4 bumps of the starter and less than 15 or so seconds of cranking she will fire off.

If you absolutely must know if fuel is getting to the injector pump, you could remove the banjo at the pump inlet and bump the key. Again, messy, but you will know.