3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

6.7 VGT: Cleaning Soot from Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by king cotton
i am just gonna go to local muffler shop and let them do it...i live in alabama, so it will be hmm 100 years before they do smog checks here!!

do you think there would be any sound difference in the 4" vs the 5". i want louder...i miss my 5.9.

i am not looking for any extra power so do you guys recommend the tv delete and the air intake...just remove the baffle and im good to go?

love the sites guys. my head is hurting from reading 6 hrs of posts!
good luck on having a muffler shop do it, all the ones I've dealt with wouldn't modify emissions systems for any amount of money......federal law!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, i also think running that CCV line to the atmosphere is better for the turbo. I deleted everything off my truck and i have the hose routed to the underside of the truck with a hose.

Ive seen where guys hook this line up to the bottom of their airbox, i might try this too.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks mikeshauling. I did full deletes a while back and a S67Smarty me. I then did route the cvc to under the truck just as you just described yours. I thought it would be a good thing.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 PM

The only downside to the reroute to the atmosphere( under the truck ) instead of to the airbox, is that some guys say they can smell the oil in the cab. Another is, there is a chance of oil dripping on the driveway from it once its no longer routed to the tube. I havent had any smell yet, but ive only had it like this for a few thousand miles...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Up until the 6.7 the crank case was always vented to the atmosphere.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Banned

That's what I'd do, but don't want to hassle with removing the crossmember or sawzall to the stock exhaust... Especially, when I most likely will need to remove/replace every couple years for smog...
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 AM
Banned

Full deletes lend more to a physical benefit also, Ive now got a ton of room under the hood to play with.

Buy RS GoldRunescape GoldRunescape Gold
Old 06-01-2011, 04:51 PM

will water/methanol injection clean turbo?

My 08 2500 is used to pull a 5th wheel for work. It is coming up on 100k miles. At that time I plan on doing the deletes, Smarty, trans service with a Mag-hytec deep pan and a Snow Performance MPG-MAX injection system. I have already had a bunch of egr problems with a cracked something or other replaced by the dealer.

1) will the methanol/water clean the soot out of the turbo or should I do the dealer service turbo cleaning?

2)What else should I do @ 100k miles for reliability and longevity?

Thanks much.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM

I think I would have the turbo cleaned prior to deletes, then you know you are starting clean.. I am not sure what water/meth will do for cleaning the turbo.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 AM

general opinions of local wrenches is take it out and floor it blowing the soot out at regular intervals. Just doing the deletes is said to triple the life of the VGT Turbo which they say WILL have to be replaced at some time due to poor design. The drilling and cleaning port I was told was the fix for the original turbo and vent set up early 7.5 vintage. few 2008's had to be replaced, or my dealer was making up stories again. I was also told that because I put a high capacity transmission pan on my truck it voided the engine warranty? Guess Dodge is selling bridges also in Manhattan?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM

Aside from the cleaning port the turbo is unchanged, the reliability increased from a tuning change.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I asked this on another thread but this one looks more geared towards getting an answer.
If I remove the electronics on my spare VGT that is off the truck, can I immerse it in a degreaser to clean it? Then rinse it, air dry and reprime with some oil?

It would be nice to service this turbo off the truck if I could.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM

So I had the soot issue with my turbo and now I am going to do deletes... But I did take it to Dodge because they had already cleaned up my turbo once before... now they DON'T CLEAN... instead they wanted to replace the entire turbo... they said they cant even get the tool any more
Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 PM

My warranty is up in about 2 months so where can I get a complete delete process completed at one time???
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jtalaiver
So I had the soot issue with my turbo and now I am going to do deletes... But I did take it to Dodge because they had already cleaned up my turbo once before... now they DON'T CLEAN... instead they wanted to replace the entire turbo... they said they cant even get the tool any more
Yep. My wife's 07.5 was just a month from being out of warrantee when we got the code. Dodge replaced the turbo. The service manager said the cleaning option was a band-aid fix and would last ten or fifteen thousand mile.

With the new turbo on I went straight out and ordered the Mini-Max and delete kit. Hopefully, I wont need to have the turbo replaced for at least 100 K miles.

Quick Reply: 6.7 VGT: Cleaning Soot from Turbo