3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where to mount CB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to mount CB?

Hi Folks,

Any ideas on where to mount a standard size Cobra CB? ’06 QC 4x4 with manual transfer case….not much room down there…maybe overhead?

Thanks

On edit, Oops ... I forgot about the overhead computer readout, no room there. Has anyone used one of the underseat types with success?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just ordered an under the seat type that you are talking about, cobra wx st75. I haven't recieved it yet but I'll let ya'll know how the install goes..
Old 05-25-2006, 10:13 PM

Thanks scoutman, I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

John
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 PM

Take a look in my gallery, maybe that'll give you some ideas!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ratat98
Take a look in my gallery, maybe that'll give you some ideas!
Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately, on the '06 there is not enuf room to mount where you did. I think it will have to be an underseat unit with the remote head.

John
Old 05-25-2006, 11:08 PM

Here's what i came up with. Big Bob has sense come up with a bolt on kit. The radio is very easy to reach while on the road.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by wcjp
Here's what i came up with. Big Bob has sense come up with a bolt on kit. The radio is very easy to reach while on the road.

Thanks for the tip. Who is "big Bob", and where can I get specs on the bolt on kit?

Best,

John
Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 PM

Some advice from someone who's used CB's for the past 30+ years. If you truly intend to have the CB on all the time and use it a lot on the road, stay away from the under-seat models like the above mentioned Cobra 75. I've had three of those so far (guess I'm a slow learner) and the quality isn't nearly up to that of a full-size unit like the Cobra 29 or Uniden 68 or 78. They don't transmit as well and the squelch function is awful. My last 75 quit a few days after the warranty expired. Now, if all you'll be using it for is short-range communication with a nearby vehicle then I guess they would be acceptable.

Buy or make a custom bracket and mount the CB on the hump as shown above (although, having an auto trans, I prefer the CB mounted up against the seat) where it will be handy but unobtrusive. Also, it might be possible to mount the unit to the roof. On my Ford there was a reinforcing brace under the headliner that served well for that purpose. But I haven't been under the headliner of the Dodge to see if that's possible.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:25 PM

I mounted my Galaxy 95T overhead where the console would be. Drop the headliner.There is a reinforcing channel there across the roof. Half inch self tapping screws worked great.The only downside is you have to cut 2 slots for the bracket in the headliner. But other than that it came out qiute well and very strong. Also I do not have the overhead console so I did not have to worry about that. I used to have a Cobra 75WXST but was not very impressed, so I went all out and sprung for the Galaxy, what a radio! Mounting it overhead gives it a Big Rig kind of look, and keeps the seat/cup holder area clear.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:56 PM

I mounted mine on the passenger side of the hump.

Works well and does'nt get in the way of anything.

Rick D
Old 05-28-2006, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the help. I futz around a bit and mounted the old Cobra on the driver’s side of the console. Tight, but it works and is not in the way of my right foot. I’ll try it for a while and if satisfactory I can use double stick tape to fix it to the side of the console.

Thanks again,

John
Old 06-01-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i know its a few days late... but I prefer my install - if yours doesnt prove to be comfortable, give this a try!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by packard8
Thanks for the tip. Who is "big Bob", and where can I get specs on the bolt on kit?

Best,

John
Ad removed site violation
Old 06-04-2006, 02:07 AM

I mounted mine similar to Big Bob's mount, but I moved my center console back 2" to make some extra room and to mount the CB as low as possible. I have actually moved it down about 1" from the height you see in the picture. The mic is also now mounted on the side of the CB and I fixed the power wires (hidden, to the battery). This, however, was NOT an easy install because I had to modify the frame of the center console, build some new mounting plates, and weld up the mount for the CB itself. Took me quite some time but overall I think it was worth it. The CB is completely out of the way.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:00 AM

Question: why are you guys using CB radios? I have found that the FRS and GMRS radios work much better and for greater distances, plus they are much more portable. Just wondering.....

Quick Reply: Where to mount CB?