Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Well, 87,000 miles and injectors are done!!!! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/well-87-000-miles-injectors-done-301332/)

John_P 03-26-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler (Post 3091754)
If I could have found an older 12v with a 5 speed, I would have bought that truck in a heartbeat. Used Dodges in my area only last a day or two MAX.... They are sold.

No worries John_P. I knew I was done for.....LOL I have just been waiting all this time for my turn.

---------------------------------
Spooler,.... you know I feel your pain Sir!;) I still think these injectors should last longer than 80-100,000 miles!

no_6_oh_no 03-26-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by John_P (Post 3091861)
These CR injectors should be lasting longer than 80-100,000 miles! Glad to hear you have had good luck with YOUR injectors, but PLENTY of 2003-2012 owners have NOT and that is a fact!

And plenty of them have them go much longer than 80-100k, thats also a fact. Add extra filtration and 400-500k is typical, thats also been documented by multiple sources. MTBF and wear results are dramatically reduced with 3 um and better filtration, also documented fact.

Reading thus thread without my comments, the overhwelming opinion is 80-100k is the norm for a $2-3k injector replacement. Anyone reading this would run screaming from buying a Dodge if that were the truth. Dodge would be broke, Cummins out of business, and Bosch relegated to making power tools. Its not the norm.

The total membership of the major diesel sites accounts for less than 2% of total diesel ownership. Even considering the people on these forums are pushing the envelope and looking for advice, knowledge, an edge, or whatever, the instances of injectors dying early are small compared to the total postings. The data set is simply too small to draw any consistent conclusions.

Originally Posted by John_P (Post 3091861)
Finally, you are wrong about Dodge CTD 12 valve injectors not being able to go further than 300,000 miles!

Go back and read that again, the comparable number is 600k not 300k. I also never said the truck was gonna roll over and die at 300k but the efficiency has been compromised. Yes, it will run and probably not strand one along side the road like a CR that pukes one. Then again more than 1 12V has come in on a hook for lack of maintenance.

If somebody wants to run their truck into the ground until it dies thats their choice. It works if all you want to do is trade trucks but a LOT of operators maintain their rigs quite a bit better than that. The benefit from just testing 12V injectors is just to high to ignore with fuel costs the way they are.

I guarantee the 700-1000k trucks have had maintenance on fuel systems. Its all part of the deal of owning a diesel, or used to be. Anymore it seems the consumer wants more and is unwilling to pay for it, in maintenance or quality. I personally feel the expectations are far exceeding the simple physiscs of what we have. :)

Spooler 03-26-2012 08:31 PM

Well, go figure on why mine failed so early. I buy clean fuel that nets me the most MPG that I can find. I have had 5 micron absolute, 2micron Nominal on the truck since it had 3x,xxx miles on it. If you look at the chart I linked, that is the best you can do at this time. I have run pressure, Yes, but very limited on the lower settings. I strike it up to I got a junky set......LOL Just my luck.

John_P 03-26-2012 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no (Post 3091880)
And plenty of them have them go much longer than 80-100k, thats also a fact. Add extra filtration and 400-500k is typical, thats also been documented by multiple sources. MTBF and wear results are dramatically reduced with 3 um and better filtration, also documented fact.

Reading thus thread without my comments, the overhwelming opinion is 80-100k is the norm for a $2-3k injector replacement. Anyone reading this would run screaming from buying a Dodge if that were the truth. Dodge would be broke, Cummins out of business, and Bosch relegated to making power tools. Its not the norm.

The total membership of the major diesel sites accounts for less than 2% of total diesel ownership. Even considering the people on these forums are pushing the envelope and looking for advice, knowledge, an edge, or whatever, the instances of injectors dying early are small compared to the total postings. The data set is simply too small to draw any consistent conclusions.

Go back and read that again, the comparable number is 600k not 300k. I also never said the truck was gonna roll over and die at 300k but the efficiency has been compromised. Yes, it will run and probably not strand one along side the road like a CR that pukes one. Then again more than 1 12V has come in on a hook for lack of maintenance.

If somebody wants to run their truck into the ground until it dies thats their choice. It works if all you want to do is trade trucks but a LOT of operators maintain their rigs quite a bit better than that. The benefit from just testing 12V injectors is just to high to ignore with fuel costs the way they are.

I guarantee the 700-1000k trucks have had maintenance on fuel systems. Its all part of the deal of owning a diesel, or used to be. Anymore it seems the consumer wants more and is unwilling to pay for it, in maintenance or quality. I personally feel the expectations are far exceeding the simple physiscs of what we have. :)

------------------------------
WHATEVER.....................:blah::blah::blah:

John_P 03-26-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler (Post 3091900)
Well, go figure on why mine failed so early. I buy clean fuel that nets me the most MPG that I can find. I have had 5 micron absolute, 2micron Nominal on the truck since it had 3x,xxx miles on it. If you look at the chart I linked, that is the best you can do at this time. I have run pressure, Yes, but very limited on the lower settings. I strike it up to I got a junky set......LOL Just my luck.

----------------------------------
Spooler,.....I have done about the same thing as you have buddy with respect to the filtration and where my diesel is purchased. It didn't help me much either!:( Go figure..........

I hope your new injectors from Don last longer than the original set did.;)
Heck,....I hope mine do too![duhhh]

Don has repeatedly warned DTR Members about how bad these CR Injectors are failing and he has worked on hundreds of them. I really respect the guy.

BTW,....you are wasting your time trying to converse with no_6_oh_no on this issue, believe me![laugh]

Spooler 03-26-2012 08:50 PM

They break so bad Don has added workstations and hired/trained more people. Cams, he is too busy repairing injectors to gain time for that.....LOL

No worries about no_6_oh_no. He has his opinion, and I have mine. No biggy.

Gotta remember this though. In 04, the Powerstroke and Duramax had more issues....

John_P 03-26-2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler (Post 3091907)
They break so bad Don has added workstations and hired/trained more people. Cams, he is too busy repairing injectors to gain time for that.....LOL

No worries about no_6_oh_no. He has his opinion, and I have mine. No biggy.

Gotta remember this though. In 04, the Powerstroke and Duramax had more issues....

--------------------
Good points Spooler!

Yeah, I know Don has been REAL busy repairing and building new injectors for ALOT of us. He has seen just about everything that can happen to these Bosch CR Injectors and that's ALOT! You and I are just two of the thousands of "unfortunate" owners.:( I now have two sets and can tell you I will be checking mine more frequently to avoid being left on the side of the road dead![laugh]

no_6_oh_no 03-26-2012 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler (Post 3091900)
I have had 5 micron absolute, 2micron Nominal on the truck since it had 3x,xxx miles on it. If you look at the chart I linked, that is the best you can do at this time.

5 um is only marginally better than factory and still not good enough. 2 um nominal means 50% of everything bigger is going thru.

Take a look at the chart again, both CAT and Donaldson have 2-3 um filters. Its what everybody runs that understands filtration. Your 5 um filter is now 7 or more by the new ratings. Not good enough by Bosch specs.

The testing has proven conclusively the Bosch HPCR systems suffer heavily with less than true 3 um filtration. Choose to believe it or not but the published results are there.

The water ingested with fuel in the southern states is even a larger problem. Even the factory FG filters, which are among the best, will not stop it all. It takes multi-pass filtration to work properly.

Oh BTW, all the above is not opinion, its fact per published spec and tests. I will continue to use it as basis for getting more than average mileage from injectors if thats the case.

Everyone else is free to do as they please because it is their truck after all. :)

Spooler 03-26-2012 11:54 PM

Post a link to the spec and test sheets if you want to prove what you are saying. No proof, these are just words.

By the way, if you wouldn't act like a know it all, people may pay more attention to you. I have worked with a bunch of Engineers over the years and the ones who like to hold stuff over everyone's elses head doesn't make them smarter, just a jerk. If you think you know it all, you really know nothing.

John_P 03-27-2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler (Post 3091973)
Post a link to the spec and test sheets if you want to prove what you are saying. No proof, these are just words.

By the way, if you wouldn't act like a know it all, people may pay more attention to you. I have worked with a bunch of Engineers over the years and the ones who like to hold stuff over everyone's elses head doesn't make them smarter, just a jerk. If you think you know it all, you really know nothing.

--------------------
WELL SAID Spooler!!:thumbsup: I agree with you 100%!

Spooler, FWIW,....I have those finer filters (#3) on my 2006 with the back-up filtration system from Richard @ "Glacier" and I still BARELY made it to 100,000 miles![duhhh] Actually, the long crank times started BEFORE I hit the 100,000 mark!:(

John_P 03-27-2012 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=no_6_oh_no:

Everyone else is free to do as they please because it is their truck after all. :)[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
EXACTLY,.......so please keep that in mind before you go into your long "novels" on some of these diesel issues!![duhhh]

soulezoo 03-27-2012 10:06 AM

I feel compelled to add that I replaced my injectors at 150k. These were injectors that Don had gone over at about 120k. The reason for replacement was due to the solenoids going south and the response times were well out of spec. That isn't a filtration issue...

Spooler 03-27-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo (Post 3092036)
I feel compelled to add that I replaced my injectors at 150k. These were injectors that Don had gone over at about 120k. The reason for replacement was due to the solenoids going south and the response times were well out of spec. That isn't a filtration issue...

That is not what I wanted to hear...LOL How did the issue manifest itself?

John_P 03-27-2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo (Post 3092036)

------------------------------------------------------------
soulezoo:

Thanks alot for your input on this Sir!;) You are exactly right about the solenoids too. Good point. I had one bad one on my original stock set.

06RAM2500 03-27-2012 04:10 PM

Spooler, have you ran any sort of additive, like say for instance Stanadyne lubricity or performance Jr? Also, have you drained your water separator pretty often?

Did Don M mention as to what caused them to fail (water, dirt, algae, fuel condition)? Let us know if you could please. :cool: