3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

U.S. Gear vs Gear Vendors "Splitters" which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U.S. Gear vs Gear Vendors "Splitters" which one?

Looks like the only way I can "fix" my gearing problem (way to low) is to put a splitter in the new 2006 CTD 6 speed 3:73's Spinning at 2400 at 75 MPH is crazy! 1950-2000 at 75 MPH is just right. I loose over 5 MPG on the highway!

Gear Vendors Over Drive vs U.S. Gear "Dual Range"

http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html
http://www.usgear.com/dual_range.htm

The $10,000.00 question (actually it's more like $3745.00) is which one and why?

Which one is better for just increasing my gear ration.. all I am interested in is an overdrive on the highway.

Pros and cons of each.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In general, I'd suggest the U.S. Gear unit for manual transmissions and the GearVendors unit for automatics.

Rusty
Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to be too snotty....have you tried the search engine on the site? I was in a discussion about the same tpoic a while ago. there was pretty good info on options & features.

Tony
Old 08-16-2006, 04:10 PM

Too Low

Your right about the need for taller gears but there may be an easier way. I've got a 2 wheel drive 06 and found that Cooper tires makes a 315/17" tire that is 4" taller than what is on my truck. That will drop the 60mph RPM from 1950 to about 1550. The nice part about the tires is that they are a normal type tread pattern ie not for a 4 wheel drive type. You might also think about the 06 Gertrag being so new that nobody makes a "splitter" for it yet. They might but then again they might not. The tires are the way I'm going to go.

Bob
Old 08-16-2006, 05:34 PM

Made my choice after calling the 2.... (try searching US or GEAR on this site and see how many hits you get. Splitter is not as bad.. but you know the problem LOL)

Gear Vendors has my application can ship in 5 days. U.S. Gear is dropping a lot of applications, and is much more involved to install. AND to take with you when you sell They have 100 applications and more daily. It's easy to move from truck to truck. Had I known this my OLD truck would have had one and ended up on this one years ago..... But some improvements over the years makes it even better.

I really only need it for a "7th" gear. I do not tow a heavy trailer.

The 6 speed is 1:1 in 5th so towing in OD (6th is bad for the tranny.) Towing in 5th and split to OD has the same gear ratio as stock 6th. but is BETTER for towing. So for towing it is better too.

Maybe if you need to shift a LOT the U.S. Gear is better... but for me ... I think I have what I need for me from Gear Vendors. Slick easy install too.

Most Dodge CTD folks get 4-6 MPG increase with the 6 speed and 3:73s empty.

Will cut my RPM from 2400 to 1870 RPM .. Just right! for 75 MPH
Old 08-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Its NOT A GETRAG! Sorry but I've posted that a dozen times.The G has NOTHING to do with GETRAG.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:47 PM

I had one in my gen 1... horrid Speedo issues! that nylon gear slipped all the time (the one on the shaft inside not the one which has different sizes) I needed to get more than one rag for that mess.

Who makes the G56? I never said it was a getrag. I loved my 5 speed NV. 5th pinned and centerforce clutch :-)

I have actually convinced my wife the splitter is a good buy and we should not wait. She now agrees the sooner we get it in the sooner we start gettng the return savings on it.

I will just add to the refinancing I am getting to pay off the Dodge loan with one at 2% less. AND I get the title :-)
Old 08-17-2006, 03:47 AM

Whalecap did. Made by a company owned by Damiler.Used in medium trucks in Europe etc.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 AM

Hounddog

Odd but the dealer told me that...

In any case its overdrive is still not the ratio it should be, IMHO, of course....

Next time I fly to Germany I'll ask...

Regards,

Bob
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 AM

i just went with 37s. now I turn about 1600 at 70

let us know how the install goes, i have been interested in these for years also.

Just noticed this about the usgear,
4WD units are mounted between the primary transmission & transfer case.

I thought most of them were after the transfer case. This could be interesting. 4wd OD
Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 AM

SOMEONE at the dealer is not very knowledgeable.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:18 PM

I had a U.S. Gear in a chevy van and did not make a bit of difference in mileage. Makes a little noise. Shifting is ok, but nowhere near as smooth as a Gear vendor when put behind an automatic. I have installed both on customers vehicles and feel the Gear vendor is a better product (and costs more)

Remember that the more gears you put your power through - the more power you rob.

I wish the factory would just do away with overdrive, give us lower first-third gears and a straight through 4 gear and a 3:23 or 3:55 final or what ever it takes to get 1600rpm at 75 mph or so.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sled4fun
I had a U.S. Gear in a chevy van and did not make a bit of difference in mileage. Makes a little noise. Shifting is ok, but nowhere near as smooth as a Gear vendor when put behind an automatic. I have installed both on customers vehicles and feel the Gear vendor is a better product (and costs more.
Bear in mind - an exhaust brake cannot be used when the Gear Vendor unit is engaged.

Rusty
Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 PM

Nor can 4wd be used!

BTW, why is it bad for you to pull in 6th gear?? I thought if it had a gear, use the sucker

Chris
Old 08-20-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which one?

Before purchase you should search TDR and other forums, back 2-4 yrs. A lot of information is out there, showing problems with overdriving a CTD. I've only owned one Gear Vendor and would only consider another for a street driven drag car. The over (or under) drive on the Gear Vendor is a fluid driven unit via a pump and has very little fluid capacity. If you tow or have more then a 1rst Gen CTD hp/torque then I'd expect high maintance. I've not owned a US Gear but understand they are built for medium duty trucks and seem to be robust. That said, a NV-5600 with 3.55 is nice or 3.73 and taller tires works well for me. If I couldn't convert or live with the NV-5600 I'd go back to a 5 speed NV-4500 with a fully splined output shaft and live with the gap between 3rd and 4th before I'd invest in an overdrive.....................HTH's

Quick Reply: U.S. Gear vs Gear Vendors "Splitters" which one?