3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

tube pre-runner style front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperiorRam
looks like a scrap bin parts build with more money in lighting
dude, thats ****** up big time.

I would take one, its a no brainer!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:55 PM

You could just go with something like a baja bar.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Now that looks really nice Tacsavage...
Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Thanks, it is definetly different.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 5lonestar9
i just haven"t seen a pre-runner front bumper on a fullsize dodge, i like the layout of a.d.d.s' bumper. i have a buddy who can build it for like 150 out of chromolly 1.5 inch fallowing that layout how it forms tightly to the grille and headlights.
1.5" isn't going to protect much on a 7-8klb rig.Have you priced chrommoly or laser cutting

Bob
Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM

if you read pevious posts you'd see that i did price it out and it would only be 100 for a 20' stick. and a plasma cutter works just fine buddy... its not like i go running into stuff for the heck of it... i like the style...

Originally Posted by bob4x4
1.5" isn't going to protect much on a 7-8klb rig.Have you priced chrommoly or laser cutting

Bob
Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM

I would go for a bumper instead of a pre runner IMO, I mean pre runner might be better for function but the looks don't match a bumper.

As far as building, pre runner would be harder. But ANYONE with pateince can build a bumper if they have some skill working with metal and a welder, and make it look as good as any company. I'm building a bumper, and because my metal is free, the bumper ain't going to cost me nothing except for the Line-X! Not to mention all the bumper companies overlook some aspects.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but just because someone doesn't have the fancy benders or plasma cutters doesn't mean they can't make something as good or BETTER.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:14 PM

If by "fancy benders" you mean a proper mandrel tubing bender, there is no substitute. The crappy harbor freight pipe bender can not make a similar bend. The plasma cutter vs torch argument is a bit more valid, but the plasma saves time.

I used to do some fabrication work. With tubing costs where they are currently, $80 for a 20' stick of 2"x.120" HREW tubing, $200 barely covers the materials cost. Having a bender and knowing how to make things like that are two different things. Anybody can make a single hoop, but making 6 bends on two planes takes some time and experience.

I think that first prerunner bumper looks great for the intended purpose. I have something similar in mind for my Bronco. My CTD will get something more similar to a roadarmor bumper when I get around to building it.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 PM

this how I modded rnh bumper
Attached Thumbnails tube pre-runner style front bumper-048.jpg  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 5lonestar9
if you read pevious posts you'd see that i did price it out and it would only be 100 for a 20' stick. and a plasma cutter works just fine buddy... its not like i go running into stuff for the heck of it... i like the style...
You haven't priced chromoly or laser cutting much less ever built anything
substantial is my guess but I am anxiously waiting for you to prove me wrong with a kick Edit bumper you put together for your $200
P.S. don't forget to get the aluminum plate with laser cut cooling slots.

Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by bob4x4
You haven't priced chromoly or laser cutting much less ever built anything
substantial is my guess but I am anxiously waiting for you to prove me wrong with a kick Edit bumper you put together for your $200
P.S. don't forget to get the aluminum plate with laser cut cooling slots.

Bob

Why is the laser cutting such a big deal for you? On the tubes, you cover up all the coped laser cuts with weld anyway.

Laser cutting is great, but not necessarily any better than water jet cutting or even the plain ole joint jigger. The CNC cutting, no matter what flavor is better for manufacturing because it has precise repeatability, and would actually be less expensive with large quantities.

But I'm sure you've built "substantial" parts and know this...and you can cut some sweet cooling slots on a regular old mill, too.

I just don't get why you're on this guy's case.

-Dan
Old 10-26-2008, 07:13 PM

Bob's just calling B.S. on the $150-$200 pricetag these guys are calling out for his bumper. Yeah, you can make a similiar "looking" one for about $90 in PIPE and a sheetmetal skid, but thats all you're getting is something straight from poseur-town, no real world capabilities.

The bumper he has on his truck has laser-cut frame horns, 2" cold rolled tubing, gussets and triangulated reinforcements, and a 1/8" thick aluminum skid plate. ALOT of work went into his bumper, its removeable, and its strong enough to jack up the truck and extract other heavy trucks (like mine!).

Not to say you CAN'T make one cheaper, but it's REAL easy to get a rude awakening in either price appreciations or quality. Ive noticed a lot of prerrunner bumpers are welded to the frame- Bob's has those massive frame horns that bolt to the stock bumper location.

I've built all my own light bars, tire carriers, bed side supports, and axle truss- and this stuff gets expensive quick. I only use DOM tubing, the last stick I bought of 1.5"x.250" wall cost $200, this doesnt include pricing to have the tubing rolled to my desired radius.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Turner
Why is the laser cutting such a big deal for you? On the tubes, you cover up all the coped laser cuts with weld anyway.

Laser cutting is great, but not necessarily any better than water jet cutting or even the plain ole joint jigger. The CNC cutting, no matter what flavor is better for manufacturing because it has precise repeatability, and would actually be less expensive with large quantities.

But I'm sure you've built "substantial" parts and know this...and you can cut some sweet cooling slots on a regular old mill, too.

I just don't get why you're on this guy's case.

-Dan
Evidently very few people here can look at a bumper and actually see it The laser cutting is not done on the tubes .Did you check out the main boxed in frame horn mounts?
Some of you guys are amusing

Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 10:19 PM

Sorry to tell you, but any joe blow in his garage could make a pre runner as good or better then those. Any fancy tool can be replaced by something cheap, it just takes more time. It is no different then shops trying to claim you need a plasma to cut 1/2" steel, but my Makita skill saw cuts it just fine, it just takes patience, but the end result is the SAME. Just give me a few months and my bumper will be complete and it will put Roadarmour and all those companies to shame, because frankly their bumpers look like a 5 year old crackhead made it. The most priceless thing is, my bumper will cost me only whatever it costs to have it Line-X, about $300 vs over $2000 for a POS from these "fab shops".
Old 10-26-2008, 10:28 PM

You can't make mandrel bends without a mandrel bender. Mandrel benders are not cheap and there isn't a substitute. The cheap harbor freight pipe benders kink the tubing. If you have a cheap solution that does the job I'd like to see it.

Building a plate steel roadarmor bumper is possible with the cheap/slow tools.

Quick Reply: tube pre-runner style front bumper