3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Tranny Broke - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tranny Broke - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

So........ I got into my truck, started it up, let it warm up for a bit, put it in drive, stepped on the gas a little, and started to pull away when...... it just gave up forward motion altogether. I have never felt it slip or shudder in its life except for the standard governor solenoid prob. I was able to creep it out of the way by turning off the engine, waiting a twenty count, restarting, and feathering the throttle for 5 - 10 feet of progress!! I had to do this at least forty times to nurse it into a parking spot!!! I dropped the pan, changed filter and fluid, started it up and drove a half mile or so and then bang, same **** thing. so i did the same on/off dance to get it parked again. Then i changed filter, gov solenoid, fluid, and cleaned and checked entire valve body. Bolted it back together and now i have reverse but no forward movement at all. doesnt even catch when you shift it into drive. Truck and tranny are mildly modified; ie. bully dog, exhaust, airaid, triple disc, billet shaft, trans valve body modified, etc. been running same combo for long time with no prob. What is going on? is it the torque converter? And if so why do i have reverse? PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I can remmember, you may have lost the Direct one to one clutch pack. Can't remember exactly, Maybe 06 oh no will respond.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you could maybe verify this, and also does this entail a rebuild then?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Offhand, you lost the forward clutch pack for some reason.

Can you just pull the clutch packs at the front of the trans and fix them without doing the rest of the trans? Sure.

Finding somebody to do that might be tough but if you have lost one pack it may be time to check the OD and OD direct clutch packs.