3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

too much drone when pulling

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too much drone when pulling

Ok first time to ask you guys a question I have a 06 ctd,I replaced the muffler with a 30 inch polished magnaflow with a 5 inch flow pro tip.empty its ok around town.When pulling my 26 foot toy hauler here in Colorado the drone is horrible in the cab somtimes i even put earplugs in .So my question should I replace with a 40 nelson or add a resonator or aero turbine to the existing magnaflow.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent question! I hope someone knows the answer because a LOT of us are in the same boat. I put on a 51" Nelson and the tone was good but the muffler itself sounded like a steel trashcan. Then I wrapped it with FG insulation and another sheetmetal cover. It was super quiet and no drone til the turbo change and I got a little drone again. So, not all mufflers work for every truck - mods matter. I don't know what is inside a resonator or how restrictive they are. Craig
Old 03-10-2007, 11:43 AM

You should probably just go with a Nelson or Donaldson.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 AM

I had the same experience. I was running a 5 inch magnaflow and the drone during towing was very loud. Around town it was great however since most of the time I am towing something had to go. I installed an 5 inch aeroturbine in front of the magnaflow. That was better however still droned. (EGTs were real low) Now, I installed a 5 inch resonator between the aeroturbine and magnaflow. Now this is great! The drone is eliminated and the sound is great. The EGTs are as low. Overall the setup is about 6 foot long and it was a real tight fit, but worth it.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:27 PM

I used a 40" walker from Rock Auto, no more drone...........Rick
Old 03-10-2007, 01:05 PM

I run a custom made Nelson 5" 51 cut back to 28" and I think it is the diameter of the muffler and the thin wall being so close to the bottom sheet metal in the truck....It needs some high temp sound deadening material with some mass to it to isolate the sound. A resonator before the muffler will help also. The length of the tail pipe makes a difference and the diameter of the tip also. I normally run a stack but for winter I just ended it below the stack hole.....and it is loud on the steep hills if ya lug it. I think I'm gonna run a resonator stack to quiet it down as the stack is very loud at WOT or towing in the hills.....ear plugs don't help as the frequency is so low it drills a hole in your head. ks
Old 03-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Good info cause I have been trying to figure out what to replace my stock muffler with and NOT have drone. Right now my turbo whine is louder then the exhaust and I would like to even it out a touch.

I had straight exhaust on my 96 and the drone wasnt that bad but on long hauls I wanted to go to sleep
Old 03-10-2007, 04:43 PM

I have the shorter magna flow with a 51" donaldson behind it and it works perfectly. i was going to take off the magnaflow but the muffler shop said it was the same as a large resonator and had straight 4" flow so no restriction. with the magna flow, no tin can sound either. i have tried rokktech and aeroturbine, none were as good as this. Hope that helps, i felt a little restriction was better than rattling windows and the headaches, still better than stock flow.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:55 AM

I have the Flo - Pro dual outlet and very minimal drone under a hard loaded hill climb . Very quiet in cab unless you roll down the window and romp on it ...... !!!! Sounds awesome combined with that turbo spooling !!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:51 AM

Drone

I have run probably parts of 4 or 5 diff. exhaust systems on my truck over the past couple years and I think the drone is more of an exhaust support problem than a muffler problem. It seemed that really no matter which setup I ran I had drone from a little to a lot (that being caused more by the length, weight, and baffling) . I had two additional oem-like hangers put in front of the muffler going towards the engine (be sure to use heavy built rubber insulated hangers for this). My truck lost it's cat and is straight piped in the area in front of the muffler. The two hangers provide what I believe is the extra strength needed to handle the weight of the muffler and that long piece of otherwise unsupported pipe &/or Cat or Aeroturbine,... I feel that is more the cause than anything else I've tried which has included trying an Aeroturbine, different size and brands of mufflers. Any muffler shop can hook you up and it's also the cheapest mod you can do to help or eliminate this problem. In my present setup I have NO drone by doing the above. Hope this helps you.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by t-boe
You should probably just go with a Nelson or Donaldson.
Yup, that's what I did after hearing about the 'performance' mufflers being way to loud. Pics and part numer of the 40" nelson in my gallery.

Did you take the cat off too? That will give you drone too I hear.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:17 AM

I put a 51inch nelson on mine and have no drone towing 14,000lb it is a low noise model it has a cone shaped baffle in it I left in place.I had the 5inch mbrp muffler that came with the system and it sounded like a fart can honda ricer.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:22 AM

I have the 4" MBRP muffler only and I get no drone pulling 12,ooo lbs.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM
j

anyone have one of these? or experience with it? http://www.corsaperformance.com/dodge_ram_cummins.htm
Old 03-15-2007, 03:27 PM

I had a loud drone until I installed the Banks cat back system. It was the 70 mph 2k drone. Now I can no longer tell when I hit 70mph/2k

Quick Reply: too much drone when pulling