3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tips for removing stock track bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for removing stock track bar bushings

I got a 3rd gen track bar and i am looking to replace the busings with some new Lukes Link bushings that i got from Genos. Just curious what is the best way to remove the stock bushings from the track bar without damaging the track bar. Is there any trick to installing the new Lukes Link bushings? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used a ball joint press they are in there tight!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:42 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

After some thought, and after I posted the same question in the drivetrain section, I came to the conclusion of doing the same thing. However, I'll have to engineer my own press with a big c-clamp and some pipe and some...anywho...back to my thought.

After I installed my 2" coil spacers and reattached the trackbar I have unexpectedly gained a "thud" or a "bang" that can be felt in the floorboard under my feet when the fron-end hits a pot hole or when i turn the wheels to a full lock and encounter a bump in the road. I did notice that when I put the trackbar back in after the spacer install that it pulled the front axle about 3/4" off center....that was expected since the geometry changed. I bought my new trackbar bushings and will install them but does anyone know what else could be causing the banging in the fron-end noise? All nuts and bolts are good and tight. I even checked the trackbar bolt holes to make sure they aren't eat out from wear and all seems good.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by jhenson
After I installed my 2" coil spacers and reattached the trackbar I have unexpectedly gained a "thud" or a "bang" that can be felt in the floorboard under my feet when the fron-end hits a pot hole or when i turn the wheels to a full lock and encounter a bump in the road. I did notice that when I put the trackbar back in after the spacer install that it pulled the front axle about 3/4" off center....that was expected since the geometry changed. I bought my new trackbar bushings and will install them but does anyone know what else could be causing the banging in the fron-end noise? All nuts and bolts are good and tight. I even checked the trackbar bolt holes to make sure they aren't eat out from wear and all seems good.
If your axle is off center then your driverside coil bucket may be making contact with the trackbar frame mount.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

I'm off the next couple of days so I guess I know what I'll be doing .

I gave it a quick once over but I guess I'll really have look close for contact points. Thanks for the thought.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:49 AM

Well i got the old bushings out with out to much trouble, deff need a vice at the minimum to do this to hold the track bar. So i got the old ones out and put the new lukes link bushings in. The Lukes link bushing stick out about an1/8th of an inch on each side of the track bar hole where as before the stock bushings sat pretty much flush inside the hole on the track bar. Does this sound correct to anyone that has installed these bushings before? It is a very tight fit of the track bar onto the truck now because the Lukes Link bushings stick out further then the OEM bushings.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM

light the old ones on fire with a torch and drive them out with an air hammer, works great.