3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty level 1????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you crack me up dodgezilla. trust me, i am not an idiot and i didnt do ANY kind of driving today that hurt this motor. hell the duramax left me because i was driving so slow. (under 70) duramax is running 365 horse tune with no gauges for 70k miles. not saying they arnt needed, just not for my kind of driving.

im not making 3/4 mile passes every weekend at the track...

i only heard the ticking passing a car or acceling on to freeway. and that was when i needed to go over 2k rpms! with the smarty you can keep it under 2k easily and get up to speed just fine!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:09 PM

I have the same ticking but it is at idle I do not notice much when cruising. It was alot worst than I lost an injector and got it replaced now it ia not as bad but still there.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:12 PM

i am gonna remove the smarty tomorrow so dodgezilla can quit worring about my egts......

just to make sure the noise isnt there though on stock tune!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:16 PM

Dodge is just trying to help it is hard to read a manarizm in wich someone is ttyping when you cant see there face or expresions. I know he is just looking out for your best intrest.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:17 PM

i know and i realize that this is not like talking face to face. if we were im sure he would understand my situation.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Banned

wreed, I dont quite understand your situation. you have pm'd me back and forth about smarty for several days( i am glad for the contact, i like making new friends) i explained what the capabilities of the smarty was, and the damage it could dish out if not watched. I hate to see anyone dissappointed in a good product, anyone's truck damaged, or someone being miserable because they get a $2000 repair bill on a truck that cost them a bloody fortune. making sense? there are supporting mods that have to been done correctly and in somewhat of an order if the drivetrain is expected to survive.
Gauges first. mild box or programmer. lift pump. moderate box or programmer. trans/clutch upgrades, turbo, strong box. know where i am coming from?
just dont want to see you blow up your rig, then PM me and ask, "now what?"
if that ever does happen, i will gladly give any advice i can. just dont want to see it.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:41 PM

no worries man, i hate to say this this way but if the Cummins did blow up from my driving style and the smarty was only on the 30/60hp tune i would never own a dodge/cummins again. i wouldnt be worried so much about the warranty as how am i gonna sell this truck when its fixed.

and i would be driving the duramax again, hell i put 60k on it before my dad starting using it with a 385hp predator tune and no gauges. it is still running flawlessly as i drove it this morning(now has 70k miles.) i actually bought her 6 new BFG ATs today.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:11 PM

riddle me this dodgezilla, dont these trucks now days have safeguards built in to them where if they detect high egts, etc.. they defuel automatically? could this be why the duramax has lasted so long? because it can do this and it sounds like the dodge does not?

in tritont case it sounded like guys on this site told him his egts were supposed to be high in a 3/4 mile run but in his case it was too late. even with a gauge.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

the only way a vehicle can detect high egt's for safety defueling is with a pyrometer. does your truck have one already installed? no sir. the ecm only follows a fueling map based upon how the programming reacts to various sensor inputs, and a pyro isnt one of the factory installed sensors.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=wreedCTD;1557103]riddle me this dodgezilla, dont these trucks now days have safeguards built in to them where if they detect high egts, etc.. they defuel automatically? could this be why the duramax has lasted so long? because it can do this and it sounds like the dodge does not?
QUOTE]

None of the big 3 defuel to prevent too high egt's....you need an egt probe to do so.....and a box that offers defueling logic...smarty doesnt do it, and i'm pretty sure the preditor doenst either....

A stock dodge 04.5+ will hit 1400* bone stock....adding any fuel via programmer or box....puts you at risk to exceed the safe level......i rarely see above 1100* with my smarty on level 3....but i drive reasonable as i dont have my dtt parts installed as of yet....but on hills or long sustained runs, it can get pretty toasty....the beta 4.4's awesome.....90-100mph up a long grade in 110* weather, 35lbs boost and 1200* egt's.....

Dodgezilla is tyring to help you prevent problems.....you may have had good luck with the chevy / preditor combo...but i'll attribute that to blind luck, not something to bet on.....why would you risk a 40+k truck to save $200-$400 in guages????
Old 06-16-2007, 11:47 PM

[QUOTE=jgiachino;1557131]
Originally Posted by wreedCTD
riddle me this dodgezilla, dont these trucks now days have safeguards built in to them where if they detect high egts, etc.. they defuel automatically? could this be why the duramax has lasted so long? because it can do this and it sounds like the dodge does not?
QUOTE]

None of the big 3 defuel to prevent too high egt's....you need an egt probe to do so.....and a box that offers defueling logic...smarty doesnt do it, and i'm pretty sure the preditor doenst either....

A stock dodge 04.5+ will hit 1400* bone stock....adding any fuel via programmer or box....puts you at risk to exceed the safe level......i rarely see above 1100* with my smarty on level 3....but i drive reasonable as i dont have my dtt parts installed as of yet....but on hills or long sustained runs, it can get pretty toasty....the beta 4.4's awesome.....90-100mph up a long grade in 110* weather, 35lbs boost and 1200* egt's.....

Dodgezilla is tyring to help you prevent problems.....you may have had good luck with the chevy / preditor combo...but i'll attribute that to blind luck, not something to bet on.....why would you risk a 40+k truck to save $200-$400 in guages????

sorry forgot to mention the 02 duramax that had 150k when traded in for the 04. the predator was bought in 03 for the 02 duramax and then installed on the 04.
so basically i have had 2 trucks and 210k with no problems.

with my luck i would screw something up installing the egt gauge or whoever i have install it will mess something up. if yall really worry this much maybe i should just remove the smarty...i really dont think i drive any way to hurt the truck at all. it would be pretty sad to have this mighty cummins not last as long as my 2 dmaxs. my dad would have my head!!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Adding the pyro is very easy. You wont mess anything up.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:10 AM

[QUOTE=wreedCTD;1557136]
Originally Posted by jgiachino

sorry forgot to mention the 02 duramax that had 150k when traded in for the 04. the predator was bought in 03 for the 02 duramax and then installed on the 04.
so basically i have had 2 trucks and 210k with no problems.

with my luck i would screw something up installing the egt gauge or whoever i have install it will mess something up. if yall really worry this much maybe i should just remove the smarty...i really dont think i drive any way to hurt the truck at all. it would be pretty sad to have this mighty cummins not last as long as my 2 dmaxs. my dad would have my head!!
It's not worrying.....ITS COMMON SENSE! Any fueling mod made to any modern diesel that already runs high egt's for emissions should be watched for high egts....it has nothing to do with chevy or dodge....metals melt at a certain point....EGT's run hot on stock trucks....adding more fuel, at a certain point, doesnt help that....
Old 06-17-2007, 11:04 AM

Definately might want a pryo

I would get a pyro immediately...i just got mine installed and turned up the tst and play around like i have always done and the pyro quickly pegged my 1500* gauge and stayed there for a sec after i let off I have done this countless times and not even realizing how serious that is. No matter how you drive i would definately get gauges asap so you know what your truck is doing. I just hate that i drove my truck like that so many times not knowing my egts were going through the roof..now i know better and was lucky i didnt tear anything up...