3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

pushing oil to the top turbo ..........???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pushing oil to the top turbo ..........???

Hey:

Havent been on here in awhile. Having some issues with my 2007 5.9. I rebuilt it this spring ..... since the rebuilt it has been pushing oil into the top turbo. There is an II 62 on top and a borg 74 on the btm. I believe the oil is backing up the drain tube, I have had 3 different turbos on it thinking that it is the turbos issue. There is less blow by at the oil fill now than there was before I rebuilt the motor. I have intentions to take it and get the blowby measured, just haven't had time yet.

I have 6000 miles on the motor so far. Have towed heavy with it for hours at a time. there is some blow by coming out the blow by tube but not excessive in my opinion. have pulled the top turbo and ran the motor, no oil coming from the head, and turbo drain takes oil that is pumped thru the pressure line for the turbo. The other notable thing is if the truck is idleing and u plug the engine vent it immediately pushs oil out the turbo drain. the atmosphere turbo leaks no oil ever to my knowledge. Is it possible I have excessive blowby still or I broke a ring assembling the engine or have I got 3 bad turbos from II (which I don't believe to be the case).

Any input would be appreciated.

truck is an 07, 5.9. Motor has Mahle pistons and rings - 20 th over, Hamilton cam, exergy sac style injectors and 10mm stroker cp3.

thx in advance
Old 01-12-2017, 08:55 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
This is a shot in the dark, but maybe next step is a compression check? Better still, do a leak down test.

Do you have the right dipstick?

How about getting the oil analyzed?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
This is a shot in the dark, but maybe next step is a compression check? Better still, do a leak down test.

Do you have the right dipstick?

How about getting the oil analyzed?

I will take it in for manometer?? test (blowby test) in the next week or so, soon as I get time.

The dipstick is the same one that has always been on that engine ( I bought the truck new) and I have had 2 different oils in it thus far
Old 01-14-2017, 08:22 PM

I might add that it only pushes oil when the engine is under no load - idleing I towed a 20000lb trailer for 20 hrs and it used very little oil, I did not have to add any which makes me think its a ring seating issue.

thx
Old 01-14-2017, 08:46 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
A blowby / leakdown test MAY, show something, but if only an oil ring is broken, that test may not prove much.

It's a bit of a pain, but one thing to consider doing is to remove the exhaust manifold and see if one port is oily.