3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ok,Ok,...I give up on Toyo Mt's...need tire ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BossHogg

So....I think what Big Tex and I are having problems with are finding a good 35x12.50'ish tire that not only is an "E" rated tire, but something that looks good. Afterall looking good is worth more to some than others.....I myself being one of them.

BTW Tex....after our phone conversation the other night I found Nitto makes a 325/70/17 (35x13), and a 37x12.50 AT, but not in "E"
Well said boss...BTW You gotta go to back to the dyno cause when I see your sig it reminds me you gotta be in the 600 hp club by now...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=OR Mega Cab;2706735]Sorry, but for $1300 I'm not do'n burn outs. I grew out of that shortly after high school.

Now thats just plain sad Boss...
Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM
tcr

Are you guys seriously trying to put 35" tires on a factory or an H2 wheel 7" or 8" wide? And you are wondering why the tire wears prematurely? I've run this Toyo MT in a 35x12.50x20 on the correct width wheel and had no issues getting 40K out of them; they still had enough tread left on them and I sold them for 600.00. I'm now running the new Nitto Trail MT and we'll see if they are near as good as the Toyo. I would suggest a little research on recommended rim width when your buying tires, it makes a huge difference and you wont wear the center of the tire in no time like with skinny little wheels.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:50 PM

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55R20 and have over 36000 miles on them and still have a ways to go. I also tow a fifth wheel and do mild off roading during hunting season. I constanly watch the tire pressure and have them rotated and balanced every 3 to 5K.

I have had good luck with them and plan on another set in the future.

JMO
B
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM

TCR,
I am running the H2's which I believe are on a 8"+ wheel. That being said, Im not seeing premature wear in the center or on the outside tread walls, and they seem to be wearing perfectly even. They are just plain wearing out quickly very evenly. I would think if the wheel was too skinny that the tire would show wear in the center, but thats not the case Im running into.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by XXLTEXAN
Well said boss...BTW You gotta go to back to the dyno cause when I see your sig it reminds me you gotta be in the 600 hp club by now...
Im also in the 1600 deg egt's club, so I need to figure that out first before I go punishing the Texas Tank on the dyno!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
Are you guys seriously trying to put 35" tires on a factory or an H2 wheel 7" or 8" wide? And you are wondering why the tire wears prematurely? I've run this Toyo MT in a 35x12.50x20 on the correct width wheel and had no issues getting 40K out of them; they still had enough tread left on them and I sold them for 600.00. I'm now running the new Nitto Trail MT and we'll see if they are near as good as the Toyo. I would suggest a little research on recommended rim width when your buying tires, it makes a huge difference and you wont wear the center of the tire in no time like with skinny little wheels.
I'm running 37's on stock wheels.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by tcr

Hey tcr, long time no talk! Yes I am serious...I worked at a discount tire through high school and know more than most about tires DTR members excluded...Boss said it..the whole tires are wearing out not the centers...I used to have a F-Body that made 515 whp on pump gas (I know I know GM blah blah) which was the reason for the Discount Tire job and i saw all kinds of wear...I would liken the Toyo MT to a street bike tire. When I had the first set put on I noticed the smell and the softness but kinda ignored it because of the reviews I had seen here but the bottom line is that they are soft. They are the best tires I've had on 4 CTD's and almost 1 million CTD miles until they spin around 20k-22k and then they are done. I like them so much I may accept that after all of this but everyone should know that it is a remarkably good but not long for this world tire
Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 AM

Ok, so initial impressions on the Firestone Destination AT. While not as agressive as the Pro Comp XAT's they replaced, they are a HECK of a lot smoother to ride on. I have the 315/70/17 load range E's and I am very happy with them so far. I only have a total of about 200 miles on them, so we will see how they do for wear. Right now I am running 60 psi all the way around, and that's only because the weather is not cooperating, so I can't do the tire chalk test to make sure they are wearing evenly. Here are a couple pics...

Scott
Old 02-27-2010, 06:15 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by XXLTEXAN
Hey tcr, long time no talk! Yes I am serious...I worked at a discount tire through high school and know more than most about tires DTR members excluded...Boss said it..the whole tires are wearing out not the centers...I used to have a F-Body that made 515 whp on pump gas (I know I know GM blah blah) which was the reason for the Discount Tire job and i saw all kinds of wear...I would liken the Toyo MT to a street bike tire. When I had the first set put on I noticed the smell and the softness but kinda ignored it because of the reviews I had seen here but the bottom line is that they are soft. They are the best tires I've had on 4 CTD's and almost 1 million CTD miles until they spin around 20k-22k and then they are done. I like them so much I may accept that after all of this but everyone should know that it is a remarkably good but not long for this world tire
I'm with ya, the D.Tire guys here in RR call me for my thoughts on different tires I've tried over the years. I try a lot of different tires on our vehicles. I was the 1st around town with the Nittos in my sig. Anyway, what do you mean by "until they spin around 20k-22k and then they are done"? I might not of worn a set down that far.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WELL, i guess i will throw in my 2c on this one. I've never ran anything but a bfg in the last 10 years so i cant tell about anything but them. The last 2 sets was km2's and the one before them was 1 set of at's and then 2 sets of km's on the same truck. I have found that if you tow everyday like me it effects your tred life by 50%. The first set of km's i got 50k out of and then i started towing some (few times a week) on the second set and i got 40k from them. The next set was at's and was towing almost everyday and i got 25k out of those and the last 2 sets of km2's i got 20 and 23k miles and they were wore slap out with towing almost everyday. And i can say none of these was e rated and i have towed over loaded on all of them and at times up to 30k gross with no probs. I would be willing to say there prob isnt a set of tires on a truck on here that gets abused and overloaded like mine do.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got 55k out of the stock BFGs I had on and they still have some miles left, so I'll put them up in case they are needed. I like the Nittos Terras and I'm a firm believer that if you maintain your tires by keeping the truck aligned, rotate regularly and maintain proper air pressure you'll get more miles out of the tires. I don't tow with it anymore so we'll see what I get, but I am betting that regardless of the tire I'm going to be needing a new set next year as I put 30-40k a year on the truck.

I remember my grandfather used to get nearly 80k out of tires on his cars. When it was time to get tires it was time to trade out of the car.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
"until they spin around 20k-22k and then they are done"? I might not of worn a set down that far.
Hey,...I mean after they do about 20k/22k+ they nosedive and are done a few thousand mile later...it's really weird
Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM
tcr

You mean they start to wear really fast after 20-22k? That is weird. Makes sense if there is less of the lug left and generated heat has no where to go maybe. The last set I had went 40K(until sold) and they wore consistantly as far as I could tell. Maybe 20s are different than 17s and 18s???
Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 PM

I bought a set of Hummer rims with new 315 BFG's At on em and put them on last year around october for hunting. I drive about a hundred miles a day and tow a few times a year. I have found that the BFG's are wearing evenly but fast. I am geussing I have another 10K tops before they will be bald or close enough. Havent been impressed.

Quick Reply: Ok,Ok,...I give up on Toyo Mt's...need tire ideas.