3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

- My torque converter lock up switch install - With pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
Sweet, now I dont need to worry about bookmarking the page
Old 07-11-2007, 05:25 PM

Could we get shane's write-ups added to that page.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 PM

What the heck is Wiki?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
What the heck is Wiki?
In Hawaii the "wiki-wiki bus" is the airport tram.. I think it means "quick" in Hawaiian?

Waiting on my latching relay so I can get this switch GO'in...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:34 PM

Man, I wish I was in Hawaii right now. I could use a vacation.....
Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 PM

Got in the latching relay and it's a no go.. Draws 1amp to activate the latch, so I am going to swap out the switch for simple on/off pushbutton of similar size, instead of the momentary. This will let me use a standard 30a Bosch 5 pin relay to keep it simple. Just gotta find a high quality good little push button switch. Off to the good electronics shop tomorrow..

Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by THURENfab.
Got in the latching relay and it's a no go.. Draws 1amp to activate the latch, so I am going to swap out the switch for simple on/off pushbutton of similar size, instead of the momentary. This will let me use a standard 30a Bosch 5 pin relay to keep it simple. Just gotta find a high quality good little push button switch. Off to the good electronics shop tomorrow..

Is 1-amp too much? I'm pretty retarded when it comes to most electrical stuff.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Is 1-amp too much? I'm pretty retarded when it comes to most electrical stuff.
I think 1 amp is too much when that 1 amp is being pulled through the clockspring. For reference, a standard Bosch 30a relay pulls 1/10th(.1a) to activate the relay..

Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 PM

Okay, gotcha. Makes sense.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:44 AM

Install went PERFECT!!

I can't go back and edit my original posts for some reason, so I'll just update here where I changed plans a bit...

Here is the 33ohm resistor, wired into the line going out to the converter lockup wire..

Few layers of heat-shrink to strengthen it a bit...

In this picture, the C2 plug is where I tapped in. I didn't feel like wresting donw at the trans with a soldering gun, and the side of the engine is much easier to get to. It is still a pain to solder/splice in there, but worth it..

On my 04.5, and 05's, it is the #25 port you tap into. The wire will be yellow with a light blue stripe, and the plug is marked externally with the numbers. Very easy to find the right one..

Typical Bosch 30amp relay. I hung it here zip-tied to the main loom. One of the wires in the harness that got chopped off earlier, had 12v only when the key is in the run position. Perfect!! Tapped in there. Still gotta find where that juice comes from though..

New switch... I did away with the momentary switch as the latching relay deal was going to get way too complicated. KISS plan for me.. Get a low profile, small ON-OFF switch, so the back doesn't run into the cruise control switches.. You can see where I put the LED, it has the small chrome ring around it right below the top of the dash..

How I wired the relay.... WORKS PERFECT!!! LED comes on when the switch is on, but doesn't come on when the switch is turned off and the truck/ECM kicks on the TC clutch.. When I drew up the plan I wasn't sure if the negative lead from the LED would cause problems, but it doesn't, so put it where shown..
Old 07-28-2007, 01:29 AM

After driving around for 20min here are my impressions...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Comparing a manual and an auto, it's like having the best of both worlds(except for the manual trans durability ). Feels and works just like a manulal trans when you need/want to lug the engine, lets you split gears a bit better, and lets you cruise like an auto. I can fill speed gaps where the TC was slipping so bad, I feel like I picked up about 10mph, but the RPM's stay the same.

As mentioned by others, the truck won't just drop gears when the speed of the truck comes down, but it will downshift when you nail it.

Unless your trans is built, and mine is not, you could do serious damage if you abuse this mod. The power is now LOCKED through the trans, so full power shifts could mangle 48re internals. Can't wait for the built trans..

Before adding this switch, I could get my trans to 200degrees + EASY just criusing home on side streets. Now, I can lock the converter lugging through town and the trans did not get over 170*..

Can't wait to see the around town/slow highway gas mileage change, as now I can drive around locked in 3rd gear(tow haul) at any speed, where before you'd have to get up to 50mph for it to lock..

Slow steep climbs can now be locked in 1st gear!!!

One of the best mods I've done yet so far..

Old 07-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up and pics Don
Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 PM

Thanks Mark!

Did some more ragging on it today. It is amazing how much better it feels not slipping like crazy going up minor inclines..

Oh, and when you want to smoke out a tailgater you can now bog it and get a nice cloud going..
Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

top of the line write up Don... thanks for putting in the time, I know it can take some. This isn't something I need but, I've seen it requested a lot....this will help many !!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way late post, but now that you have used it for a little while, has it helped your mileage? Getting ready to have a Goerend tranny put in and going to do a mistery switch as well.

Quick Reply: - My torque converter lock up switch install - With pics!