3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Legality of adding extra driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Legality of adding extra driving lights

I hate the stock headlights as many here do. I want to add a set of the KC, PIAA, or Hella driving lights to my front bar. Probably go with 55-85watts as I think if you have 100watt or more and you need to have covers on them always. Can I run down the highway at night with my regular headlites on plus the driving lights or is that against the law? It's mostly on country two lane highway.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
It is up to the individual state law. In Va. I am able to run a maximum of six white lights shining forward. The fog lights shall not be used with high beams. All lights must meet DOT approval for road use. And no auxiliary lights may be mounted above the factory headlights unless they are disabled or covered.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Banned

Round these here parts, the law states you can have no more than 6 forward facing white lights on at any time when travelling from down the road a piece over to yonder.

Actually, I have no idea. Just turn the bright lights off when you meet oncoming traffic. I drive all over the country with two 100w KC driving lights at night and I just turn them off when I see somebody coming. No problems in many years of use.

I recently bought the Brite Box for my truck and had them install a slave wire to turn my KC's on with the high beams. It is super easy to hook up and the output is AMAZING with just the brite box alone... as well as "Fogzilla." I have high beam, low beam, and fogs all on with the high beam and the modules increase the output 3 times over stock, no need to upgrade bulbs.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If yiu have the factory fog lights you could replace the bulbs with hi beam bulbs
Old 10-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I am not mistaken the Federal Law is no more than 200W combined.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by djgaston
Actually, I have no idea. Just turn the bright lights off when you meet oncoming traffic. I drive all over the country with two 100w KC driving lights at night and I just turn them off when I see somebody coming. No problems in many years of use.
Exactly. I've had an aux. pair of driving lights wired into my high beams on various pickups, cars, and motorcycles for at least 400K miles of driving throughout the US and Canada.

I don't think I've had a single comment from a cop about them, ever, even when pulled over for the occasional speeding ticket.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:46 PM

If Kendall county is the Kendall county, TX then have a look here. I had the same question about lights. I still do, in a way, but have a look for yourself.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm

Ron
Old 10-14-2005, 07:34 AM

Kendall county in Illinois.... Actually, I'm in the process of moving there from the bastion of freedom called Chikago... can't wait to get outta this hell-hole.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:34 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

At one point, a local cop pulled me over for having more than two white lights pointing forward.
I had two low wattage white lights mounted on my frame shining just in front of my hot rod truck. A couple amber lights on each side and red on the back. gave kinda a traffic effect under the truck.
Then again, I got pulled over just about everytime I drove that truck.