3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Killer B2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a new compressor on the way too paul sent it out today and i'm right next door in colorado so we will see i hope it arrives soon although i don't believe mail is running tomorrow but hopefully will know saturday
Old 11-15-2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Mike S
Anyone get to try out that new compressor wheel yet?
I do know that some of these compressors have been released but I still have not heard any feedback yet, has anyone else heard anything?? Thanks, Mike
Old 11-19-2004, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any word on the new wheel?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Roger rodbolt
Any word on the new wheel?

None yet but I hope to hear from HTT today, if the feedback is negative than I'll guess that I will scrap the quest for the Ideal single and go with twins to control these egt's.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:29 PM

I heard from HTT today that the new wheels are working great and even build boost faster than the old ones. I'm thinking mine will be shipped sometime next week.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by NeedMoPower
I heard from HTT today that the new wheels are working great and even build boost faster than the old ones. I'm thinking mine will be shipped sometime next week.
Talked to Paul this afternoon and he told me the same thing, that the new compressor wheels build boost much faster and lower egt's by about 250 deg with no surging at all, he shipped mine out today and I will post again once I get it installed and tested.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Banned

yeah i got the new wheel in for 3 days now
it's awesome at first everything seemed good and paul emailed and said to hammer it so i'm not one to disrespect my elders and i did so

i had it at 100 actually 95 on speedometer and it never got over 1000
i was racing above all things a white hemi down i -25 and i hit it again now i'm not sure what the governing issue is on these but i have 315 and i was just a tad over 100 and it began to get around 1300 to 1400 and no problems, no surge no nothing, i was pretty excited.

got into town and did a 15 to 20 psi launce from a light and i got that **** fluttering sound. It's not a bark but a surge when my tranny is in a low gear like 2nd for instance and i hammer it it seems the whole aparatus is under heavy stress and i can feel it almost surging and i was letting back until it shifted. Paul said don't worry about it. I mean the sound is awful but i can live with it. Anyway i finally decided to get on it again after the boost launch and see if it was ok. i hammered it and it spooled nicely and then surged, burnt the tires harder and longer then probably every before, and it was smoking and moving on just fine. I am only concerned that when my last turbo wwas doing this it became too frequently and interferred with the driveability, i hope this one doesn't start to have that happen. I mean the surges became more and more often, louder and longer. When i heard it again the other night i was ****** off to say the least, however paul is the man and his word is good as gold and i'm sure he'll do whatever it takes to keep customers happy and that's tremendous. I am glad i picked that turbo because not only the way it performs, but i got to meet one of the good people in this thing here. In these times of everyone screwing over someone or selling someone short it's a nice change to see A+ customer service, which is what i got, also from laser bob too he stayed late installed it gave me a heck of a price break. fixed some screw up another guy left while changing the cartridge but i am very pleased with the product. If anyone is on the edge of do or don't i would say go ahead and im sure if it doesn't work for you then paul would do his best to come up with something that would. I can't imagine someone using this turbo and not being ear to ear. just the egt drop does that.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:10 AM

Talking

i have the htt 2b-64 and have the shutter as well, if i take my air cleaner off i have no shutter !!!!!!! so i am getting a new huge air filter fro afe it should be here mon or tue.
but i may want to change the wheel any way.
and yes the turbo kicks a$$ , it will be part of my future twin setup
Old 11-20-2004, 11:17 AM

gristle missile,
Thanks for your feedback, but could you give some actual comparisons between the new and the old killer B2? Another thing I also noticed is that what you and me call "surge" is two different things. My killer B2 also flutters as most of yours do, but at 20 pounds, mine cuts out completely. It begins to flutter and then it pops and sputters and stops spooling. I know it's hard to describe what a turbo is doing using highly techinical temrs like pop and sputter, and I'm sure Paul had a fun time trying to figure out what was going on with all of us using our high tech terms.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Banned

mine doesn't stop spooling but it's just like way over pressurized it seems like you can feel it in the pedal and hear it. THen when u continue laying on it, it totally changes the sound from the high pitched whistle with some background hard air ( that's all i can really say to describe it) to a really rattling whooshing sound. It sounds like there is something loose in it and it flutters only for a second or 2 and then it goes back down to the normal operating sound. I noticed that as for comparing it to the original it definitely whistles a lot louder i mean i had the scanner on and i couldn't really hear it. it seemed a lot sturdier, or course the one i had in the killer b sucked after it became defective. Therefore anything would seem more sturdy. However like i said i feel that it's natural reaction to let off when u hear that noise. With paul saying it's all right i took the advice and i roasted my tires probably harder then i ever did before. Maybe 1 time before was better but for sure top 2 of all time for me. I have about 150 miles on it is all. I'm not sure if they need a break in period but the killer b i had seemed to come alive a heck of a lot more over a period of time. If this one does that it's gonna be sick and unhealthy for the opposition. I can say the egts are better yet then the killer b with the original shaft/cartridge . I noticed a couple hundred difference. Of course the one i had was not working properly so I'ts hard to compare the killer b with the first shaft at the best it's ever ran, to this turbo now, now knowing if it's now running the best it ever will for me or if a breakin is going to make it even better. If it does i'll let u know for sure. I was gonna dyno it. I can do that whenever and post them. I have dynojet numbers from before and i can do them again and post them. I also did a mustang dyno at ats at that time the turbo was working very poorly and it was weak as hell. I think they said with the elevatioin it would be like 450. On the dynojet it was like 550. i have all the charts and i have an apointment at ats next week like i said they are moving and i have to dyno before they rip it out of the ground. I know that if it improves the same rate at which the killer b did then this turbo should continue to get better for a while yet. I will post them numbers again when i get them before and afters. I would definitely say u should go with the upgraded shaft though. I mean what do you have to lose? THey are almost identical when u look at them with the naked eye. I could only notice a couple things like a pinhead size hole on one side that wasn't on the other. I also thought it was heavier but i can't say for sure. I think it rocks and if that flutter whoosh doesn't hurt it that's great, i just have to mentally tell myself that and prepare for it. Any weird noise and i shut her down, it's a hard habit to get out of. I just hope that the flutter doesn't end up hurting this like it did the killer b shaft. The darn truck was so out of sync i could bearly drive it it was awful. I was gonna sell it and I only owe like 20K on it. I was just so discouraged, i drove her a minute ago and it seemed just as strong as ever. i'll put the numbers up when i get them i'll call over and see if i can't bump up the ats dyno time to earlier in the week
hope it helps u in your dilema
Old 11-30-2004, 10:26 AM

This last weekend I got the new compressor wheel installed and thank god that HTT got this problem resolved, this new wheel builds boost as fast as the original HTB2 without the surging and egt's are well in check, I really like this turbo and will now recommend it to anyone wanting an exceptional single charger. I will post more once I get it broken in and really put it through it's paces. Also Paul and Steve at High Tech turbo get an A+ in customer service. Mike
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM

Mike S, I can ditto your last thread about this turbo. No more surging and builds boost faster than the original design. Also Hats off to the High Tech Turbo guys thier #1 priority is customer satisfaction, and I am very pleased.