3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kilby Condenser Guard

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a humorous note, I had mentioned the spelling to kilby, and they sent back an email today. They found it pretty funny, and commented that their web guy was a genius with artwork etc but was the worst speller in history!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A friend of mine tells a story about his buddy coming back from shore leave, showing off his new “search and distroy” tattoo…

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, I recently pulled a 5th wheel up Mt. Hood on a hot day, and the temp gauge never moved from the middle.

Also, once I saw one of these in person, I thought the holes in this thing are just about right, but it was hard to get a feel from the photos. They are big enough to let air through, but with enough metal in between to stop a rock large enough to smash fins.

On the other hand, if all you are looking to stop is bugs, then a screen would be perfect, and the Kilby's wouldn't be any help. If it were a sturdy screen, and placed ahead of the condenser, it would probably stop, or at least slow down most rocks...

The way it wraps over the edge is also nice, since it's easy to smash those fins leaning in to work on the engine.

If there were one thing I could change, I wondered if the guard would be better if it sat ahead of the condenser a little bit, so it would allow air to flow over all the surface area of the condenser?
Old 08-05-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I towed a car on a flatbed (5000lb) about 180 miles yesterday when it was about 90 degrees out and my temps never got above 190. So, on my truck, the screen really doesn't seem to restrict the airflow like some have posted.

I know this topic isn't about my screen so that's all I have to say about that...
Old 08-05-2004, 04:59 PM

Last time I looked, there is a difference between a screen and condenser gaurd
Old 08-06-2004, 04:22 AM

Well, since I'm not going to say anything more about my screen, I won't say that we are talking about 2 different items engineered to do basically the same thing. One just happens to be for tightwads like me...

Yes, there was engineering involved in mine!!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:20 PM

Lightman, you are nit picking.

If somebody names a product, that is the spelling of the product. In this case it is a Kilby Condensor Gaurd that protects the condenser, even if they have a bone head who doesn't know how to use spellcheck.

I'll bet that the Wherehouse music store has a warehouse to store some inventory.

Just a thought.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:05 PM

Old 08-11-2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by 2003Ram
Lightman, you are nit picking.

If somebody names a product, that is the spelling of the product. In this case it is a Kilby Condensor Gaurd that protects the condenser, even if they have a bone head who doesn't know how to use spellcheck.

I'll bet that the Wherehouse music store has a warehouse to store some inventory.

Just a thought.

Well I'm sorry 2003, but you are incorrect sir. That is NOT the name of the product, and as you'll notice, I mentioned that Kilby was amused by their error, and since they have corrected it on their website. The product is Kilby Condenser Guard.. Thanks for your thoughts though
Old 08-11-2004, 11:56 PM

It's a wonder you can get through any posts if you're that **** about spelling. It must drive you nuts.

Chill buddy.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:06 AM

2003, I'm sorry you appear to be defensive after being proven wrong. I'm plenty chill, buddy . I didn't mean to offend you, I was simply pointing out that it was a genuine error, and in fact Kilby was quite appreciative of the fact I pointed it out to them. Just curious, what was the point of your post, to call me nitpicky? Kilby actually emailed me a few days later to ask how the installation went etc. Nice guys.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:19 AM

I have to agree with lightman on this one. As a person who can spell properly, I am always amazed when I see typos in the paper, on TV, or on a website. It makes me question how smart the people are who own the place.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:39 AM

Guys, I know this is nitpicky but I find it a little funny. Lets not mimick bad habits, the word is condensEr, not condensOr. The funny part is Kilby has clearly posted the misspelled word on their website etc...how very professional of them
Your words....

I am always amazed when I see typos in the paper, on TV, or on a website. It makes me question how smart the people are who own the place.
I couldn't agree more, especially the newspaper.

English lesson for today: When someone or something is named, it called a pronoun or a proper noun. All spellings go out the window when it comes to pronouns. That would be pretty bold of you to tell Jon he's been spelling his name wrong all these years because as we all know, the only way to spell it is J-o-h-n of course.

If in fact Kilby has changed the spelling of the name of the product, then that is the correct spelling of the name now. They didn't misspell the name of the part, they just had an alternate spelling for their name of their product.

I'm here all week.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by 2003Ram
If in fact Kilby has changed the spelling of the name of the product, then that is the correct spelling of the name now. They didn't misspell the name of the part, they just had an alternate spelling for their name of their product.

I'm here all week.
2003, that is totally inaccurate, and again, what is the point of your posts besides being antagonistic? This thread is about the Kilby Condenser Guard, not your particular semantics issues. I suggest if you feel the need to give the forum english lessons, you start a separate thread.

The name of the product is Condenser Guard, and always was, Kilby simply made a mistake missing that on their website, which they've corrected. This is not that difficult. As far as alternate spelling is concerned, I suggest you visit dictionary.com and try to enter condenser or condensor..You'll see condensor is not a word...although it is commonly misspelled. I'm sorry you've gotten so worked up over this issue.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 AM

For those actually interested in the product, I will report the installation was very simple and straightforward. The fact Kilby included the metal wire to help support the weight of the condenser was very nice, and made reaching those lower screws on the brackets a lot easier. Basically it was a matter of removing about 10 T20 torx screws and 4 13mm bolts, sliding the guard in, and replacing those screws and bolts. Now when I stand on the bumper and lean forward to reach something in the engine compartment, my knee or shin doesn't mash the condenser fins. I'm pretty happy so far. As some have mentioned, this product is not a screen, it's a guard- which will not provide protection from bugs, but will block those larger, more damaging stones and rocks that pop up.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:58 PM

Also available from genos is a stainless cover that protects the top of the condenser and a couple inches of the front. I have one and it is very nice. They now also have a tool tray kit for when you are working on the beast.... I don't know if it can be used with the Kilby guard though......

Quick Reply: Kilby Condenser Guard