3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installed SPA gauges, but are the readings correct?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed SPA gauges, but are the readings correct?

Just got my SPA digital gauges installed this weekend and I wondered if anyone else has these gauges. I have the 211(boost/EGT) and 212(fuel press/oil temp). The readings I am getting so far:

Boost: 0-25 psi--at idle is is 0, accelerating, its in the 20's
Fuel Pressure: 4-8 psi--most of the time is is around 7 psi
Oil temp: not hooked up yet...
EGT: 20-65 deg F--what could be wrong here? With temps in the 20's shouldn't EGT's be around 800-900 pre-turbo. Mine is mounted right between the 4th and 5th cylinders. (Its a 3rd gen). What could be wrong. I saw you have to ground the sensors, but I didn't see anything saying you had to ground the pryo(which it should be grounded on the manifold anyway). Any ideas here. May have to talk to SPA, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had similar troubles here and what typical readings were for the 3rd gens. Having the pryo read that low makes me wonder about the other gauges. Come to think of it the pyro/boost gauge come on red when it is first switched on and the fuel/oil gauge does not. Hmmmm. Any suggestion?

Josh
Old 02-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Never used that type of gauge but on my dipricols the boost seems right on the money. The fuel seems maybe a little low but still ok. My egts are pre turbo also and you are about right with your 800-900 reading. My sensor is mounted between 3 and 4 but that should not make that big of a difference in my opinion. It is my understanding that the probe grounds itself (at least with my gauges) so I don't see why you would have to ground it. Hope that helps some anyway.

Travist
Old 02-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Check your pyro leads...once in a great while mine will short out a little bit and the reading will hang up. Try jiggling the wire at the thermocouple connection and see if it makes a difference. Also make sure the leads are hooked up to the amplifier correctly and the lead isn't pinched or grounding out somewhere.

I've been running the SPA's for about 4 years and the only problem I ever had was the LED backlight burned out on my 1st gen gauge (DG-111). @11's been flawless for at least 2-3 years.

Boost sounds about right, fuel pressure-I have no idea what the 3rd gens run...and your oil temp should run ~160-180* depending on the ambient temp. I've seen it as high as 200 after a long hard run.

If you can get a hold of SPA, talk to Pat, he's pretty helpful.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the input....

Thanks for your input guys...it is nice to know at least some of my gauges are on.

As for the pyrometer, I found there is a setting on the SPA gauges that needs to be set in order to use a high temp gauge/pyrometer, so I set it and it is at least reading in the 670degF range at full operating temp (unloaded) at 20-30's outside air temp...does this sound right? The only thing that worries me is that when it starts up, it reads 475 or so before the engine even starts. Don't most pryometers get closer to ambient air temp (in a cold engine) than this?

Josh
Old 02-10-2006, 09:02 PM

mine reads about 25 degrees after sitting overnight.

670 Degrees is about right cruising with that outside temp
Old 02-10-2006, 11:31 PM

It helps alot to read the instructions carefully so you get it programmed right. I had to read 'em twice.....and hold on to them because you'll need them again.

After a couple years I had to zero the boost out again and I forgot how