3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Got TST Installed - Not as good as I expected. :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got TST Installed - Not as good as I expected. :(

I got my TST installed yesterday and maybe I'm not understanding the programs correctly but I've got it on standard program, level 5 power, level 2 torque and it takes off quick but doesn't smoke at all. I'm not really worried abou the tranny because the entire 48re is getting replaced with a built ATS tranny in about 3 weeks. I guess my expectations were too high or else maybe I'm just not using it correctly.

Any input guys?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:54 AM

TST's dont smoke like other electronic enhancements I have used or seen used. TST's dont start fueling to a certain boost point, depending on the program being used. This is why you might notice a lot of stacks w/ TST. My TST is awesome on the top end and I have the crazy larry and it equals up to a pretty good team. If you want smoke and power go with the Smarty, PPE, Bully Dog Crazy Larry.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 AM

I don't really care if there is smoke, I was just concerned that something wasn't right because it wasn't. My 99 with a torque dog and injectors would smoke out the entire road. The people I had in the truck with me last night said "Holy crap this things hauls edited by admin and it sure did being we were in 4wd and the roads were snowy and my tranny is going. And that was on Standard 5/2 so I can't wait until I can try some of the higher ones with a FASS installed. I just though something wasn't right and it should be a lot more that it was .. maybe more of the problem is my tranny and once that's replaced it will be even that much better.

I noticed too that my EGT never went above 800 (good I guess) and that my boost never went above 24psi. Is that normal for an unloaded truck with a stock turbo? I've got the Hi Boost set at 35psi.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-18-2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: profanity
Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To get the boost higher you will need a boost elbow. Can buy the boost elbow from TST or find on Ebay.

MikeyB
Old 02-18-2007, 09:33 AM

I got a boost elbow with the kit. They yanked the one from the turbo and put on the one from TST. I'm guessing maybe they didn't adjust it very much. I read that the stock bossts up to 22psi. I'm hitting 24psi but should be going higher.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran the tst on my 04 (555 engine) on 3/3 and I would run 28-29 psi of boost. Turn the TST to 9/9 you will get smoke
I dynoed my 04 a couple of times and 6/6 was were I got my most power (36 psi of boost) anything above that, I lost some power.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's adjustable I would turn the screw in. I have no problem hitting 34psi with the EZ or the SMARTY.

MikeyB
Old 02-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

Try putting the TST on early twins mode. That oughta get ya some smoke. Full fuel at like 3psi of boost.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Try putting the TST on early twins mode. That oughta get ya some smoke. Full fuel at like 3psi of boost.
Is it okay to do that since I have just the stock turbo?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

Not any worse than doing it with a stock auto. And for a run or two you won't hurt anything. Just keep an eye on your egt's and don't let them go above 1300* for very long. Also, is your probe mounted pre or post turbo?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:32 PM

The tst was the first thing i ever upgraded on my truck and it smoked like a train! I dont know maybe the 05 is different but it really did smoke bad and there was alot of smoke. I couldnt run any higher then 5/5 or i would loose power. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:36 PM

My probe is mounted pre-turbo. I've give the early twins program a shot and see what's up.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Banned

Ok. Just wanted to make sure. You might wanna crank the boost up some more as well. Around 35psi is a safe range.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:52 PM

ive seen 03/04 trucks and they smoked alot. my 05 would not smoke at all until the twins program was added. but the stock turbo would not spool up right with a power pup. I ran a sps 66 charger with the twins program and it made some smoke.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:42 PM

Okay I went out and played a little. Here are the results...

Setting: Standard setting, power 5, torque 2.
Results: No smoke, pretty good power, very smooth (aside from my known tranny issues), maxes out around 24psi of boost.

Setting: 03 twins setting, power 5, torque 2.
Results: No smoke, a little more power than standard setting above but I had some surging going on when I was part way into the throttle. I did hit 34psi of boost.

Questions: Was the surging just that I had it up too high for what fuel I could get to it since I don't have a pusher pump yet?

Before the TST, the truck was sluggish and not what I expected from an HO. Could it be that the guy who had it before me had a programmer and when he put it back to stock it's not the "correct" stock program for my '03 HO?

I was going to bring it to the dealer this week to have them plug it in and check the computer. Reflash it if necessary. The dealer here is cool with mods, not that I have a warranty left on this truck anyway. This won't affect the TST in anyway right?

Quick Reply: Got TST Installed - Not as good as I expected. :(