Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Fuel Pressure or Rail Pressure Guage (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/fuel-pressure-rail-pressure-guage-159097/)

jgiachino 07-08-2007 11:41 AM

Fuel Pressure or Rail Pressure Guage

All, i already have the standard 3 diprocol guages (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp)...am getting a gdp kit installed, so i want to get a fuel related guage...just one....so the question is what is most important...fuel pressure or rail pressure....if fuel pressure, do you recommend the 0-30psi or the 0-100 psi version? I'm under the impression that the 0-30psi is sufficient for the gdp 392 on our trucks....thoughts?

Also, where to mount? i have the 3 place a pillar currently....anyone use a bullet single pod? where did you put it?

vzdude 07-08-2007 11:47 AM

For the prices of the guages, a Quadzilla fuel pressure guage would be the trick! You get both fuel and rail pressure in one pod. Mount it on the top of the column and there you have it!

XLR8R 07-08-2007 05:10 PM

... because you definitely will benefit from having both fuel gauges!

shambo 07-08-2007 05:17 PM

You need both either the Commander or the or the pod that does the both.

jgiachino 07-09-2007 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude (Post 1588979)
For the prices of the guages, a Quadzilla fuel pressure guage would be the trick! You get both fuel and rail pressure in one pod. Mount it on the top of the column and there you have it!

Thanks for pointing out quad's new product....i dont own any quad stuff, but based upon his presense here and on tdr, i respect him and his products...suppose this gives me a good excuse to buy something from him.....althought it's killing me...i run a large IT department (lots of computers / electronics)....but for some reason, like the old school guages in my truck.....cant figure it out, everything else i own is brand new, hi tech....

vzdude 07-09-2007 10:05 AM

I like the looks of the manual guages as well, but I couldn't buy all of the ones I wanted for the price of a Commander. I'm liking it a lot now, just takes a little to get used to.

jlibert 07-09-2007 10:32 AM

can't go wrong with the quad gauge. Works great, easy to install, and has nice features that a standard analog gauge doesn't have (low and high pressure recall with alarm)
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...jpspics035.jpg

jgiachino 07-09-2007 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by jlibert (Post 1589894)
can't go wrong with the quad gauge. Works great, easy to install, and has nice features that a standard analog gauge doesn't have (low and high pressure recall with alarm)
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...jpspics035.jpg

Thanks for the pic....sold! Will order one tonight!

JG

03qclb5spd 07-09-2007 08:36 PM

I ordered the quad digital RP/FP gauge last night. Says it should be here by Friday. I can't wait. I have ordered a bunch of stuff the past 24 hours.

jgiachino 07-09-2007 09:46 PM

Yeah, i told my wife i'd take a break after i got the tranny installed last weekend....i lied.....ordered gdp and now quad guage....then i'll stop...for another week....:-)

03qclb5spd 07-09-2007 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by jgiachino (Post 1591004)
Yeah, i told my wife i'd take a break after i got the tranny installed last weekend....i lied.....ordered gdp and now quad guage....then i'll stop...for another week....:-)

LOL, yeah....bug bit me. I got a fass friday night, Quad's gauge last night, and an air horn kit this afternoon. I was going to call Amsoil and order pretty much all the fluids for my rig, but I think i'll wait a couple of days...plus I need to get some parts for a stack together.......

jwb600 07-09-2007 11:04 PM

jlibert thanks for posting a pic of the quad gauge. I have one coming also.
looks like its a hot setup

XLR8R 07-10-2007 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jgiachino (Post 1589776)
i run a large IT department (lots of computers / electronics)....but for some reason, like the old school guages in my truck.....cant figure it out, everything else i own is brand new, hi tech....

You probably prefer analog because they're so much easier to read at a glance when the vehicle is in a dynamic environment... same reason we liked gauges w/needles in the aircraft! :cool:

jgiachino 07-10-2007 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R (Post 1592154)
You probably prefer analog because they're so much easier to read at a glance when the vehicle is in a dynamic environment... same reason we liked gauges w/needles in the aircraft! :cool:

I think you're right...and for the record, my trucks only in a "dynamic" environment when my wife's driving it! :-)

rustyshakelford 07-10-2007 09:23 PM

ive had my quad rg/fp for about 2 weeks or so...and i like it. its hard to find a place thats convient though. i have mine in the same place as jlibert, but sometimes when the sun hits it you cant read it and its to low depending on where you keep your steering wheel. overall a great product, but if i could change on thing it would be that the cable goes into it on the left side. also dont know how accurate the fp is when reading off the fuel filter housing?

brett