3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flexalite Electric fans 03-07 "NEW"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not third gen but I do have had the elec fans on my 02 for over a year now and havn't had any issues with overheating at all the most I tow is a 4 horse trailer up thru the canyon or a 30' flatbed with either the tractor or 100 bales of hay on board.
I didn't really notice any mileage gains. the ac is cooler when in traffic or crawling thru the canyon pulling the horses.
the stock fan may move 8000+ cfm but that is at 3000 rpm I rarelly need to turn that many rpm pulling or any other time.
I must say this isn't a off the shelf pep boys elec fan it has a sheet metal shroud that fits tighter than the factory plastic one. The fan is variable speed it kicks in at 195 and increases speed if the temp keeps rising.
It looks like the fan setups we were using on the baja cars 600+hp on the floor all day sitting behind the driver out of direct airflow.
If I pulled super heavy daily no I probably wouldn't run it.

By the way if the thermostat fails it has a bypass to run it full time if needed.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only fan I would consider over factory would be a Haldex hydraulic fan drive.

CAT makes a hyd fan as well.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:03 PM

let me say that I have had Flexlites fans and the controler has a bad habit of burning out I went through two controlers before I tore out the system, and yes they were hooked up properly unless they have come up with a better thermstat I would stay away from them there not worth the money,Now Minwy I have a big truck my fan clutch is air operated and works great I have never seen one that works on oil pressure
Old 07-12-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by flex-a-lite tra
this flex-a-lite fan will only work on the 2003-2008 cummins diesel with out the electric clutch
Every Dodge 03-08 with a Cummins has an electric fan clutch.

Bob
Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I've slept a lot since then, but IIRC the OEM fan is in the 11K CFM range at full lockup?

I know it's a heck of a lot more than any electric fan can deliver... if nothing else from a physics standpoint. As posted above, the stock fan draws dozens of HP when engaged - anybody ever seen electric motors that size?
Even in 3-phase? Those things are BIG & HEFTY... hate to think what 50HP 12Vdc motors would look like, or cost...

Besides, the fan only locks up when needed - ramping up from initial engagement at ~ 230*F to full lock by ~ 255*F.
It's actually not very often that there's enough load to satisfy the lock-up sequence (at least not on our trucks), and it's hard to miss... sounds likes a propeller under the hood!

Heck the motor for my swamp cooler 3/4 hp motor was $180!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM

ok so as for the FLEX-A-LITE fan 164 foe the 2003-2008 dodge cummins diesel that fan will work on with or with out trucks with the electronic clutch but if you do have an electronic clutch you will have your check engine light come on when you install the fan it does not hurt your truck or anything but it should come off once you get your codes cleared but it will not hurt your truck
Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flex-a-lite tra
ok so as for the FLEX-A-LITE fan 164 foe the 2003-2008 dodge cummins diesel that fan will work on with or with out trucks with the electronic clutch but if you do have an electronic clutch you will have your check engine light come on when you install the fan it does not hurt your truck or anything but it should come off once you get your codes cleared but it will not hurt your truck
if you clear the codes and the fan clutch is still unhooked/unplugged then the CEL will come right back on..you can clear them all day long but it wont stop the CEL from coming on till you fool the ECM into thinking it's still plugged in....
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM

I wonder why they didnt make the elc fan run off of the stock control sounds like it would have made more sense
Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM

Why would anyone buy a kit this expensive just to have to clear the check engine light all the time. They need to build a circuit to fool the ECM into thinking the fan is still there.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 PM

On MY truck the fan kicks on when the A/C is on, possibly it should not but it does, hwy or in town. Real easy to hear and feel the loss of power.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by moorepower
On MY truck the fan kicks on when the A/C is on, possibly it should not but it does, hwy or in town. Real easy to hear and feel the loss of power.
It should kick in it keeps the pressures down and makes the ac cooler

I like the kit for the 2nd gen that didn't have the elec fan clutch but with a elec fan clutch on the newer trucks I don't see the point in this kit really
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM

That is why I would like to look at electric fans! There is enough airflow going down the hwy, you should not need the fan running.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:45 PM

I have run Flex a lite fans in the past and there thermostat doesn't last, bottom line for me was safety knowing the stock fan doesn't stop working
Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 PM
O.T

I have a Flex fan on my 05, seems to work well for what I do. I do not tow.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 AM

Is it possible to keep the stock fan and add an electric fan to help with cooling when towing?

Has anyone done this?

Quick Reply: Flexalite Electric fans 03-07 "NEW"