Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   First time on a dyno... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/first-time-dyno-197547/)

purduepurdy 03-19-2008 06:02 PM

First time on a dyno...

Well my friend invited me to go to a dyno meet and convinced me to make a few runs. I just ordered a smarty jr.(very excited about) and will probably run the medium 70 hp tune. Not wanting to even try the 100 hp for fear of loving it and slipping the very stock TC. Was wondering if there are any things i need to check and/or advice? All fluids were just replaced over the past few weekends. Its a major noob question but only one way to learn...

jwb600 03-19-2008 06:17 PM

I would just make sure its at operating temperature before they pound on it. I like to let my truck run before they dyno it but I dont rev it up a thousand times either just let it run for min beforehand is what I do. I would shut your O/D off it maybe easier on the converter

purduepurdy 03-19-2008 06:18 PM

cool beans, any advice helps, read the smary jr adds lockup in 3rd, that cool?

trik396 03-19-2008 08:25 PM

If he shuts his O/D off, he won't put enough of a load on the engine to get decent numbers. It would be a waste of time.

purduepurdy 03-19-2008 08:57 PM

Guessing cruise through the gears, and get agressive once it hits third and go WOT once the TC locks into OD??? kinda confusing, im sure i can talk to some peeps there but trying to get some info here so i dont look like a total idiot.

Its alot easier when the engine is out of the application. I get to see Cat engines on the dyno whenever i want. [guitar]

omaharam 03-19-2008 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by trik396 (Post 2005410)
If he shuts his O/D off, he won't put enough of a load on the engine to get decent numbers. It would be a waste of time.

Umm..John at Floor It dynos all trucks in 3rd. That's how I got my numbers.

trik396 03-20-2008 12:00 AM

So how does a guy with an 05' that has no od lockout do it????

stock600 03-20-2008 12:46 AM

I to went to my first dyno deal this past weekend it was a lot of fun. The stick trucks no prob. stick it in 6th load the moter and go for it, but the guy operating the dyno was having issues with some of the autos. He would ease them up through the gears and whack the throttle to early and it would downshift, he'd let off and do it again, i quess finally untill he had enough wheel speed to where it would not come down a gear. I stopped on the way and got a good shot of injector cleaner for good measure.

purduepurdy 03-20-2008 07:02 AM

yea, the downshift is what i was worried about, i was wondering if i put it in tow mode for my auto if that would keep it in the taller gear

JJPage 03-20-2008 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by stock600 (Post 2005768)
I to went to my first dyno deal this past weekend it was a lot of fun. The stick trucks no prob. stick it in 6th load the moter and go for it, but the guy operating the dyno was having issues with some of the autos. He would ease them up through the gears and whack the throttle to early and it would downshift, he'd let off and do it again, i quess finally untill he had enough wheel speed to where it would not come down a gear. I stopped on the way and got a good shot of injector cleaner for good measure.

I've had the same problem, I am going to install a "mystery switch" to lock up my tc.

AKRAM had very specific instructions I remember reading, I just do not remember which forum, I am sure if you did a search you could find it.

I also tried dragging my brakes to load the motor, all that acomplished was unlocking my tc.:(

JP-4.5 03-20-2008 07:45 AM

Dyno runs are the perfect use of the LockUp switch being added to a truck. If you search around the forum you will find lots of info on how to install a lockup switch for different models of trucks.

Once the truck is in OD turn the switch on. It prevents the truck from down shifting and keeps the lockup on. You need to turn the switch back off before bringing truck to a stop or it will stall the truck.

I am thinking of adding this just for Dyno use...

jwb600 03-20-2008 08:21 AM

I have a lockup switch on my truck but when they dyno it the keep the O/D off thats how I got my numbers also

jrussell 03-20-2008 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by trik396 (Post 2005410)

Most people say you're supposed dyno an auto in 3rd because that's the 1:1 ratio. I think dyno'ing in 4th would be the one that's a waste of time because the numbers would all be skewed.

jrussell 03-20-2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by trik396 (Post 2005741)
So how does a guy with an 05' that has no od lockout do it????

I thought you could get the '05 reflashed to get the O/D lockout function?

haloman 03-20-2008 09:41 AM

Dyno in direct 3rd for Mustang Dynos

Dyno in OD on Dynojets