Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   bullydog issues (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/bullydog-issues-52816/)

wadem 10-15-2004 11:52 AM

yes i have.... problem is that in order to clear a code it has to be able to see it first, and this one won't. it saw the 602 but not the 633... tech at bullydog said that it wont sometimes see all the codes, whatever that means...

RonsRig 10-15-2004 12:29 PM

Put the stock program back in and drive it for awhile. I think you have to cylce the engine on and off so many times (not sure how many) and it will clear the code. You might want to take it back to the dealer and ask them what is wrong with your truck. Is it still under warrenty?

DRV 10-16-2004 04:59 AM

I you do not feel the power you must have a bad one. This Thing goes wild, lLove to hear my wastegate going. Monitor your EGT it cooks the motor. Not happy with their explanation about the extreme temps. Returning the pup next week.

Did you selected the correct type of truck at initial set up ?

AK RAM 10-16-2004 09:57 AM

Not the first person that has reported getting code 633, SKIM Key Not Programmed in PCM. Has anyone here with the chipped key security feature tried the downloader and not had this problem? I'm assuming the chipped key feature is the "SKIM KEY".

wadem 10-16-2004 11:28 AM

funny... in reply to drv's comment, it did not give me the option to select a specific
truck. the side of the box simply said for Dodge cummins 2003/2004. i spent about 40 min on the phone with a bullydog tech and he never said anything about mabe not having the right box. he said that the program would either
take, or it wouldnt. would the box program be different dor the 600? you would think it would..theres no way that two boxes would be faulty. and like i said before, on extreme the egt's should be way high, and there not.

just a note of interest, when we were loading the 2nd box at the shop, a long time customer came in and wanted to buy a chip/fuel box. so they loaded the first
downloader that i had tried, and set it on performance, the90hp setting.
and it made a huge difference, heres the kicker, it was an 04 with a 600 ENGINE!!!

so there may very well be a different program for the 600's, or once again it may be my truck.. anyway i have returned both bullydogs and am going to drive stock for awhile......thinking mabe of trying a Van Aaken set up.

Briman 10-16-2004 10:29 PM

It says right in the paper manual that the skim will be erased. That is normal.

AK RAM 10-17-2004 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Briman
It says right in the paper manual that the skim will be erased. That is normal.
So if I hear this right, by using the downloader, we basically disable our fancy chipped key security feature and will always have the code telling us the skim key is gone?...unless we go to the dealer and get it reprogrammed?

abb 10-17-2004 08:10 AM

Wadem what kind of exhaust temps where you getting with your predator say empty and towing and I'd like to know why you changed out the boxes? I have the stage 2 and it's ok don't have the gauges in yet and I also here a lot more of a rattle then before and any imput would be a help thanks abb

ckennedy 10-17-2004 08:35 AM

AK RAM - that is a good question and I am waiting for a confirmed answer to it [eyecrazy]

wadem 10-17-2004 09:12 AM

i was more than happy with the predlll performance and operation, my truck actually sounded quieter with the box installed. the acceleration was amazing
but with my foot in it ie, 1/4mile run or just playing , i saw egts approaching the 1500 degree mark, i here the 2 is a little cooler. also all this talk about extreme high rail pressures, and hurting injector seals, bothered me. iam just not sure about what the long term damage[if any] may be. two other guys around here with the exact same trucks have developed leaky injectors and blew a pressure relief valve. iam sure that the pred and other rail increasers are just fine, but iam just not at the stage of the game where i want to sacrifice my warranty for the power increase.....its not like these things are under powered to begin with

AK RAM 10-18-2004 09:45 AM

Originally posted by AK RAM
So if I hear this right, by using the downloader, we basically disable our fancy chipped key security feature and will always have the code telling us the skim key is gone?...unless we go to the dealer and get it reprogrammed?
I called Bullydog this morning for clarification, and they said that the SKIM code is erased when you reprogram with any of the three power options, disabling the chipped key security feature for those with gray keys. However, the key code is kept with your original program and will be restored as if nothing happened when you put your stock program back on. If you intend to load one program and stick with it and you REALLY want the chipped key security feature to work, your dealer can reprogram the key code without affecting the downloader's performance enhancements, but you will loose it again if you change the program in the future.

I guess with that said, can someone with a gray key and using the downloader answer a few questions for me?

1) If you clear this code, does it just come back the next time you insert your key and the truck tries to use this feature?
2) If the code does come back the next time you insert your key after being cleared, does the dash light come on each time as well?
3) Assuming the dash light does come on when this code is set, does the light go out after a few starts like it does with other codes or does it continue to stay on because the condition that caused it is reoccurring every time you insert your key to crank the truck?

Sorry for the list. The tech at Bullydog couldn't answer these questions for me.

Thanks.

Briman 10-18-2004 10:03 AM

1) The 633 (SKIM) code did not come back after each start.

2 & 3)On my '04 I never had any dash lights in any event. This may only happen on earlier ECMs.

The 0602 code does come up after every start and according to Bullydog (this morning) it will go away with reloading the stock program. Bully Dog did mention that the dealer could still see things had changed if they knew how/where to look.

wadem 10-18-2004 10:13 AM

well, here's what is happening with my truck. the first time it saw some codes i got an abs light and a park brake light. this is supposed to be normal anytime you program the ecm or mess with it[that came direct from chrysler] it will reset and go off when you drive very slowly for about 200-300 feet. this also has set off some instrument cluster codes[the ones you get when you hold in the trip meter
button and turn on ignition] the 602 code and the 633 code never did set the
check engine or indicator light. The only reason i discovered they were there was
that i did the on/off ignition trick 3 times and saw them. without doing this you would probably never suspect a thing. the trouble with the instrument code are
that they seem to change every time i get them.....i have a list but some don't seem to be on it.

RamWheelsBy4 10-18-2004 10:54 AM

I will add what I know about the Code P0633 - SKIM KEY NOT PROGRAMMED IN PCM.

I had this Code show up when I did my gauges along with others. I cleared all of the others with OBDII scanner. The P0633 was not even seen on the scanner.

I took it to the dealer to look at. The dealer computer tech said that this code was set because at some time something interferred with the Key Chip communications. This could have been caused by many things, outside radio waves, etc. The code remains as an indication that the problem has happened. This code is stored history. The tech said he recommended leaving the code for any future problems with the Key Chip. This would show that the problem has existed before. He also said that he would have to reset the entire program to remove code history.

Bottom line is that the code p0633 is not one that I worry about. It still is on my readout.

manganos 10-18-2004 07:08 PM

Yep I got the downloader tonight and loaded up the performance (90 hp ) program. Runs great. ABS and BRAKE light are on. Tried to remove them with the DTC functions but it didn't work. Cycled the key about 8 times. Still on. EGT's there were no issues. Flat out up hill the max I saw was 1150 degrees. Overhead computer states over 76 mpg now. [eyecrazy]