Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Bob Wagner and Beta 4.4 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/bob-wagner-beta-4-4-a-155083/)

KKB 06-12-2007 08:00 AM

Bob Wagner and Beta 4.4

First off I want to say thank you to Bob for his help. I wasn't able to download the Beta version to my Smarty ( I must be computer illiterate) so I sent it in and he downloaded it for me. I got it back yesterday and downloaded SW#5. My previous setting was SW#7 with original programming that came with the Smarty. I only had a few minutes of driving last night but I can tell you that SW#5 on the beta 4.4 feels stronger than SW#7 on regular Smarty. Without even flooring it I was up to 90 mph in no time. I couldn't believe it. Power feels very smooth just like others have stated. Smoke was still there when I stepped on it just not sure how bad since it was dark out. With only about 1/2 or 3/4 throttle I was sideways for quite a while. This thing definately puts out the power. At first start up and take off it sounded like there was some timing or injector rattle from 1100 rpm to 1300 rpm, but after driving a little I didn't notice it anymore so maybe I was just trying to hear something.

The power is great, but my main goal was to see if I could get better mileage with it. I will run SW#5 for a couple of tanks to see what it does and then run SW#9 for a couple of tanks to see what I get. I will report back with more info when I have more drive time.

One more big thanks to Bob Wagner for all of his help, he even gave me another 100 grand bar when he shipped it back[laugh] [laugh] .

Olee Poole 06-12-2007 08:51 AM

Bob is a great guy to deal with and is on top of his game!
But i didn't get any 100 grands with my last order of 20 smartys. [laugh] [laugh]

John_P 06-12-2007 09:07 AM

I agree with what Olee has said. Bob Wagner is a great guy who has provided EXCELLENT customer service to me and the Members of this website!

My sincere thanks to the great job he does for all of us every single day here.
The Smarty I got here through Lary and Bob has REALLY woke up my 06'!

My thanks also to Marco for producing and marketing such a great product for our trucks!;)

---------
John_P

soulezoo 06-12-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by John_P (Post 1549667)
I agree with what Olee has said. Bob Wagner is a great guy who has provided EXCELLENT customer service to me and the Members of this website!

My sincere thanks to the great job he does for all of us every single day here.
The Smarty I got here through Lary and Bob has REALLY woke up my 06'!

My thanks also to Marco for producing and marketing such a great product for our trucks!;)

---------
John_P

X2! I could not have said it better...[coffee]

My personal thanks to Bob on the service and product.[guitar]

dodgezilla04 06-12-2007 12:23 PM

Bob, is the man. But be careful guys, you're gonna make him blush if you keep it up.[laugh]
way to go again BOB

HappyGA 06-12-2007 10:31 PM

Good job Bob and Marco. So when is the Beta 4.4 gonna be released so I can finish off my trans???

jgiachino 06-12-2007 11:17 PM

X3

Great Product that continues to improve (not sure how that's possible) and great customer service thru Bob W!

4.4 Rocks!

TORQUE BEAST 06-12-2007 11:29 PM

Totally agree!!!!!!!! It's extremely nice when you have a good product AND good customer service.

Bob and Marco, you have my Thanks too. Keep it up.

Luvnacumns 06-13-2007 12:12 AM

x4 times 10!!!

desertchecker 06-13-2007 12:12 AM

I also agree Bob Wagner is great to do business with ! Bob has always been great & willing to step up and make me happy cant ask for any better & marco for putting out a great product excellent team work....nuff said !!

nick

Ramtuff06 06-13-2007 01:35 AM

those 100 grands are the ****

BossHogg 06-13-2007 11:01 AM

I just dont see why they dont release it already, I mean everone on this site has the 4.4 except me!!

I want it Bob, Please???

own1bigtruck 06-13-2007 11:13 AM

I aint got it either, thought I would really like to give it a whirl!

Bob Wagner 06-13-2007 11:14 AM

can you feel the love ? [laugh]

dodgezilla04 06-13-2007 12:16 PM

No, can YOU? [laugh]

cspot 06-13-2007 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by BossHogg (Post 1551460)
I just dont see why they dont release it already, I mean everone on this site has the 4.4 except me!!

I want it Bob, Please???

concur.....

dodgezilla04 06-13-2007 02:21 PM

the main reason for the several month testing process and several beta versions is the manufacturer's desire for it to be as trouble free for the users as possible.
i have had all 4 versions, and they keep getting improved upon.

jwb600 06-13-2007 04:24 PM

I have good things to say about bob he sent me some programming also and I dont know him. I have not tried it yet. I want to get it put into my downloader but havent had time. I know he had alot of guys putting pressure on him to send them upgrades. I would go nuts[duhhh]

dodgezilla04 06-13-2007 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600 (Post 1551905)
I have good things to say about bob he sent me some programming also and I dont know him. I have not tried it yet. I want to get it put into my downloader but havent had time. I know he had alot of guys putting pressure on him to send them upgrades. I would go nuts[duhhh]

too late. already there.[laugh] [coffee]

ccbooth83 06-13-2007 04:36 PM

If kept on level 3, will the new beta 4.4 be too much for a stock tranny with conservative driving?

bluechrome 06-13-2007 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BossHogg (Post 1551460)

I want it Bob, Please???

10th that, I guess everyone doesn't have it. but it is still frustrating only hitting 404 and 840tq on a mustang when other people who beta test get in the 500's with similar mods.

bluechrome 06-13-2007 04:59 PM

I would test any day of the week If given the oppurtunity. I dont know a better canidate I have 43,000 miles on a 06 and there are trips,trailers,sledpulls,drag racing. You name it I've done it. I spend most of my truck [

jgiachino 06-13-2007 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ccbooth83 (Post 1551925)
If kept on level 3, will the new beta 4.4 be too much for a stock tranny with conservative driving?

Nope...that's exactly what i'm doing....it's perfect.....

Danderson 06-13-2007 07:58 PM

Smarty again.

I've got an '07 6-sp. and after restoring the truck to stock,the "MIL" was on. I reported it to Bob,and Marco had a fix in about 36hrs. There's a genius in Italy and a guy with a lotta patience in Wa who are making this gizmo work for us.:cool:

jwb600 06-13-2007 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bluechrome (Post 1551953)
10th that, I guess everyone doesn't have it. but it is still frustrating only hitting 404 and 840tq on a mustang when other people who beta test get in the 500's with similar mods.

guys say on here the mustang dyno is hard to lay the power down on. I dynoed 461 on a load cell dynojet. no other power adders. it wasnt a new program either. sw9 out of the box.

KKB 06-13-2007 09:32 PM

I did have a rough idle yesterday with the beta 4.4 I had a code of P0602 I believe, but I didn't think that had anything to do with the performance. I cleared the code and haven't driven the truck since then, my wife has had it today and I have called her several times to see if it was idling rough and she said no. Has anyone else had any rough idling issues woth the beta 4.4?

jgiachino 06-13-2007 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by KKB (Post 1552427)
I did have a rough idle yesterday with the beta 4.4 I had a code of P0602 I believe, but I didn't think that had anything to do with the performance. I cleared the code and haven't driven the truck since then, my wife has had it today and I have called her several times to see if it was idling rough and she said no. Has anyone else had any rough idling issues woth the beta 4.4?

I've had a tad of rough idle....not much.....is it hot where you're at? Im in az and i have the ac on full....wondering if that has anything to do with it.....

I dont see it as an issue it's so minor....but in a perfect world, i suppose it wouldnt be there....

gus's 03 06-14-2007 12:44 AM

4.4 vs 4.3 .... ?
smooth... like buta...
i dont think its lighting quite as quick, but ive only got a quick drive on it..
its not explosive like 4.3, but deceptively quick.

tank toped off tonight ill be driving my normal route and reporting back.
fyi : ive been floging the truck for most of the last tank and still kicked back almost 23mpg! trust me.. i defenetly was not concerned about mialage.. good by moskito population!

the only problem ive had to date is verry minor... lol.. bob keeps sending me software for so6... i guess hes telling me to sell my curent version and buy the updated version... lol.. i might just do that...

MikeyB 06-14-2007 07:19 AM

From the seat of the pants the 4.4 feels more powerful than the previous 309 version that I was running. The engine is quieter, smoother and the turbo spools up quicker.
Also the idle hunt when the clutch is engage while the truck is still rolling to a stop is gone. Anyone noticed that?

MikeyB

Smokeman 06-14-2007 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ccbooth83 (Post 1551925)

If you drive conservatively it will be fine. I rolled on the throttle kinda hard climbing a hill, empty at 65 mph and felt the torque converter slip. level 3. I think the horsepower is higher at each level than the previous version I used. Or it could be I just need stock torque management.

JThiessen 06-14-2007 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by KKB (Post 1552427)

You may have some bad injectors. The Smarty, or any other box/programmer, will accentuate any fuel delivery issues you might have.

I just had a bad one replaced, and mine now idles just as smooth as it did when new. I also have very little smoke on #3 now. Prior to getting the injector replaced, I would completley cloud an intersection at only half throttle.

I also have very little of the timing rattle now.

wap 06-14-2007 12:04 PM

I has the 0602 when I first loaded the smarty but it may have been there before, I dont know. I cleared it and it hasnt been back.

KKB 06-14-2007 12:53 PM

I am hoping it is not injector issues. After clearing the P0602 code it has idled fine, but I didn't think the P0602 would have anything to do with idling issues. I don't get much smoke at all just when you hammer it but then it clears when the turbo spools.

jgiachino 06-14-2007 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by KKB (Post 1553331)
I am hoping it is not injector issues. After clearing the P0602 code it has idled fine, but I didn't think the P0602 would have anything to do with idling issues. I don't get much smoke at all just when you hammer it but then it clears when the turbo spools.

I was thinking injector as well...but if i put the non beta smarty on or stock....it goes away.....so i'm pretty sure it's a beta 4.4 thing....that's why i asked the temps / ac usage question....

KKB 06-14-2007 07:58 PM

Yeah it has been 85-90 here and A/C has been on. Today I noticed it idles rough only when in drive and at a complete stop. If you are coasting to a stop it idles fine until you get to a complete stop. If you put it in park it idles fine. The truck just shakes a little more when in drive and at a complete stop, but it doesn't really sound like it is idling bad just a vibration. Could it be changing pressure in the tranny or something causing the vibration?

jgiachino 06-14-2007 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by KKB (Post 1553935)
Yeah it has been 85-90 here and A/C has been on. Today I noticed it idles rough only when in drive and at a complete stop. If you are coasting to a stop it idles fine until you get to a complete stop. If you put it in park it idles fine. The truck just shakes a little more when in drive and at a complete stop, but it doesn't really sound like it is idling bad just a vibration.

Exact thing i'm seeing....it's a very minor detail...but it is beta, so now's the time to mention....beta 4.4 is still awesome!

gus's 03 06-14-2007 10:03 PM

a little feedback from driving / towing 4.4 today

i droped it from my normal setting of #9 to #3 just to be on the safe side (limping clutch till next weekend and stock turbo)
i can definetly tell where the timing map starts to advace.. 2k...
i wasnt heavy, old flatdeck moble home based trailor with a early bronco on it.. im guessing mayby 8k? but rolling down i5 flat ground in 6th i was sitting @ 900 @60 mph/1700 ish. i rolled up to 70mph/2000 rpm and watched the pyro drop to 600, still only making about 8psi..

beta 4.4 seems to make a few psi less boost than the 4.3 did, and the advance seems to come in 400 rpm later.

so my take on it... w/ 4.4 you ether need to tow heaver to make it worth dropping a gear or tow faster.

as far as running around empty on #9 its much smoother, verry easy to drive. i miss the punchy 2 stroke feel that 4.3 has, but for the mainstreem public its probably a good thing. its easyer to maintain traction in the rain than 4.3 was.

as far as economy: ive got about 100 miles on it since toping off last night. 60 of it my normal route, pluss threw in 40 miles of towing above. the gauge still has not budged off the peg. overhead is still above 20.. (normaly within a few tenths of hand calc)

bob & marco : after 24 hours im liking 4.3 better, but ill runnit atleast thru a tank or two, if economy improves over 4.3 ill keep it in longer, it does feel stronger when floging it and playing around above 2500.... i just dont normaly drive in that range..

KKB 06-15-2007 08:47 AM

The beta 4.4 is definately awesome and the little vibration at idle when in gear is not that big of a deal. I will try to go back to stock for a little bit to see if the vibration is gone just to rule out injectors or anything else. Other than the little vibration when in gear at a complete stop there are no complaints from me. This 4.4 version is unbelievable and I have only been on SW#5, I can't wait to see what #9 will do:cool: :cool:

jrussell 06-15-2007 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by jgiachino (Post 1554036)
Exact thing i'm seeing....it's a very minor detail...but it is beta, so now's the time to mention....beta 4.4 is still awesome!

Originally Posted by KKB (Post 1554624)
The beta 4.4 is definately awesome and the little vibration at idle when in gear is not that big of a deal. I will try to go back to stock for a little bit to see if the vibration is gone just to rule out injectors or anything else. Other than the little vibration when in gear at a complete stop there are no complaints from me. This 4.4 version is unbelievable and I have only been on SW#5, I can't wait to see what #9 will do:cool: :cool:

I haven't noticed any (extra [laugh]) vibration while at idle with 4.4. It does seem to idle with a lot more rail pressure. Maybe the added pressure is doing something funky with your injectors?

jwb600 06-15-2007 02:19 PM

I talked to bob today just now on the phone. very nice guy. very helpful even though I didnt buy it from him. cant beat that