Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Best programmer for my 07 5.9 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/best-programmer-my-07-5-9-a-266773/)

2002_d 03-24-2010 10:50 PM

Best programmer for my 07 5.9

I have a 07 5.9 4x4 6speed with 5in straight exhaust with a willy's whistler intake. What would be the best programmer for my truck? Thanks

madhat 03-24-2010 10:50 PM

I'm a smarty fan, I believe in it hands down.

You have a few options, what are your goals?

Welcome to the DTR.

bansh-eman 03-24-2010 10:59 PM

I plan on getting a Smarty Jr my self. Knowing what you want your end result to be will help alot.

michael/edge 03-24-2010 11:03 PM

pretty sure your going to get a lot of smarty suggestions here.

2002_d 03-24-2010 11:03 PM

Nothing big just a little more power and mpg. I just want to keep it stock mostly. Thanks

madhat 03-24-2010 11:14 PM

Then I would say a smarty Jr, or and edge juice with attitude.

The smarty has the best programming, IMHO, but the edge has built in gauges and is adjustable on the fly. (so is the PoD version of the smarty)

2002_d 03-24-2010 11:22 PM

I hear alot of good things about the smarty jr! That will be the way i go thanks alot!

madhat 03-24-2010 11:27 PM

No worries. Check out the DTR store, I bet Lary could get it to you by Saturday. ;)

elirandolph 03-25-2010 06:17 AM

Smarty Jr for sure. I love mine. Its a perfect fit for someone who doesn't want to go overboard with supporting mods.

gpshemi 03-25-2010 11:52 AM

This forum is like any other. They tend to get hung up on one brand and turn into an infomercial. Smarty is the common name around here. It's a great unit I'm sure. The tests I saw though showed little improvement over Bully Dog's Triple Dog. I'm running the BDTD. It seems to have misc options the Smarty doesn't...and can be had for cheap on ebay. It's worth considering.

bansh-eman 03-25-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by gpshemi (Post 2733835)
This forum is like any other. They tend to get hung up on one brand and turn into an infomercial. Smarty is the common name around here. It's a great unit I'm sure. The tests I saw though showed little improvement over Bully Dog's Triple Dog. I'm running the BDTD. It seems to have misc options the Smarty doesn't...and can be had for cheap on ebay. It's worth considering.

It also leave a foot print that the Smarty does not. Keep that in mind if you have warranty still.

got_soot 03-25-2010 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by gpshemi (Post 2733835)

If a certain product works really good then you do seem to get hung up on the product.Ive owned the BDTD,was a nice unit, makes the truck run great until you go to try to set the power level down and the unit freezes and scrambles the trucks memory, which might i add that the download was not interupted or nothing and everything was done by the book. called Bully Dog and they said this was a common error and they will send a cummins tech to redo my trucks computer. Smarty so far for me has never done that yet and is very reliable so in my opinion smarty is hands down better. Hopefully B-D figured out the problem why it does that.

2002_d 03-25-2010 01:24 PM

Thanks yall and up i still want to keep my warranty lol this is the best site ever for diesels!! anyone can answer any ?!!! and does the jr smokw alot because i do like the smoke lol

madhat 03-25-2010 05:00 PM

It will in certain circumstances, but not as much as the senior.

If you want some smoke on demand, you can hook up a smoke switch. Just search for it, you'll find how to do it.

michael/edge 03-25-2010 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman (Post 2733849)
It also leave a foot print that the Smarty does not. Keep that in mind if you have warranty still.

any programmer or chip is traceable so it does leave a footprint.