3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best cold air intake

Have decided to go with either a 41" or 51" Donaldson muffler. I was just wondering what the best intake would be for my '06.
Also, will the onboard computer make adjustments for these kind of changes, or do you have to go with a tuner to get any power/mileage improvements with mufflers and intakes?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 06Bighorn
Have decided to go with either a 41" or 51" Donaldson muffler. I was just wondering what the best intake would be for my '06.
Also, will the onboard computer make adjustments for these kind of changes, or do you have to go with a tuner to get any power/mileage improvements with mufflers and intakes?
Thanks
ive got quads intake and love it, its not as expensive as others either.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like my s&b cold air intake.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by rjm022
i like my s&b cold air intake.
does the s&b work really good and should i go to cold air intake
Old 05-16-2006, 07:26 PM

AEM Brute Force all the way !!! Just got my first oil sample done and had a Silicon reading of 2 which is FANTASTIC !!! I was worried that the oiled filter was letting crud in but the proof is in da pudding .
Old 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM

Search this forum for the Swiss Cheese method.

This is free, and coupled w/ something like a tru-flow drop in, you may get the results you desire. The great thing about it, is that it's free w/ the exception of the "drop-in"...
Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 PM

I like Scotty's products. I used to be an AFE style fan...till I got over the bling and cared more about how often I had to clean the filter. Scotty/Uni is the way to go.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 AM

I have had my S&B intake installed for about 3 weeks now and really like it. I did not want a open element setup because of turbo noise pulling the 5th wheel. I like the clear top so I can tell at a glance how dirty the filter is.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Banned

06Bighorn,

The AFE Stage I or II is the best for flow and for stopping dirt especially if you get the Pro Guard 7 filter elements. AFE did a dyno day last year and they had a number of guys that had the BHAF type of filter set ups, in fact they had one guy that was fairly outspoken on how his filter set up would out flow the Stage I AFE. They dynoed his truck and then installed a Stage I, got a few more HP. Then they took his intake and put it on a flow bench, then even took his filter off of his tube and flowed it with no filter. Then the Stage I was flowed and it even outflowed his tube and NO filter. This is due to the engineering that is built into the AFE conical filters, they all have a velocity stack in the interior of the opening of the conical filters and it speeds the air flow just like a venturi in a carb does resulting in positive pressure that crates more flow etc. When you get a product that has been "engineered" unlike a lot of the products out there you can get some great benefits in performance.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-17-2006, 10:36 AM

My vote goes to the Scotty Ram Air III. Awesome unit. Truck runs soooo much smoother, and the turbo spools up faster. Wish I could get one for the wife's Liberty CRD!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 AM

Ad removed site violation
Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 AM

I have the Scotty III, I like it but I put together my own system based on the S&B unit. I use the TAG (turbo air guide) a AEM/Fram dryflow filter instead of the S&B oiled filter and then added to the bottom of the box the PSM/Buick cold air intake system. This is the best set up so far. I also have the S&B, BHAF, AEM dryflow, Tag, The new fram system (Won online) and the Scotty III.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Car_nut57
Ad removed site violation
Car Nut, What is cool hose and how much does the TAG III help out? I have been eyeing the Scotty 5 because I don't feel like dropping 450 on an air intake for the AFE.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, touchy around here about posting information. I just ordered a ram air hood from ramairhood.com and it came out to around $1000 with paint job and new grill. It is the SRT-10 hood. they didnt have the airbox so I will have to get one from the local shop. I am pumped. This is all free too cause of hail damage.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter11
I have had my S&B intake installed for about 3 weeks now and really like it. I did not want a open element setup because of turbo noise pulling the 5th wheel. I like the clear top so I can tell at a glance how dirty the filter is.
Not familiar withthe S&B, heard too many bad things about oil filters like K&N, anyone have a link?

Quick Reply: Best cold air intake