3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advise Please. Just got a 07 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Advise Please. Just got a 07 6-speed

Hey guys, I have been reading this forum for quite a while now, just never posted. I made the switch, from several 7.3 powerstrokes to a dodge cummings, quad cab slt 6-speed. 5.9. I just installed a muffler delete, and getting ready to order a air intake system, In the past I have always had K and N. Which one should I get, So much mixed info on the net, I cannot make a choice. I want the complete system. One more question, Leaning toward a smarty Jr. I would like to keep my 6-speed stock for now, With that being said, should I stay away from a programmer. The truck already has a bully dog outlook on it, never with a programmer, The previous owner just got it to moniter boost ,egts, and to adjust speed od for larger tires. Thanks guys, Truck is going to mostly be a weekend toy, never pulling much more than quads or maybe a pop-up camper. Thanks. Zeke.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 PM

Smarty Jr will be fine if you arent hard on the truck all the time. The only weak link is the clutch.

Build yourself an intake. K&N = no no. Do a search for *****'s Whistler and build the intake. Im just waiting on an elbow so I can build mine.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Don't get the K&N. They don't filter as good as S&B and AFE wiht the proguard 7 filter. The enclosed air box will give you cooler air inlet temps. K&N filters have a 4 ply where the S&B has 8 plys. I have the S&B and my turbo whistles louder than my buddies AFE. Can't beat S&B for the price and the good filter.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Smokeing Zeke
Hey guys, I have been reading this forum for quite a while now, just never posted. I made the switch, from several 7.3 powerstrokes to a dodge cummings, quad cab slt 6-speed. 5.9. I just installed a muffler delete, and getting ready to order a air intake system, In the past I have always had K and N. Which one should I get, So much mixed info on the net, I cannot make a choice. I want the complete system. One more question, Leaning toward a smarty Jr. I would like to keep my 6-speed stock for now, With that being said, should I stay away from a programmer. The truck already has a bully dog outlook on it, never with a programmer, The previous owner just got it to moniter boost ,egts, and to adjust speed od for larger tires. Thanks guys, Truck is going to mostly be a weekend toy, never pulling much more than quads or maybe a pop-up camper. Thanks. Zeke.
Got the S&B for sale from my 07 5.9. It has about 15k on it...let me know (pm) if you are interested.

Paul
Old 06-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Banned

Ya any kind of half way decent programmer will destroy that stock Luk clutch and ya I made my own intake I just don't get why guys spend so much money on them
Old 06-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
K&N has been known to leave residue in the cold air pipe.

These would be my intake choices

S&B is a good intake and a good price
AFE is the famed (whistler) and well built intake, but pricey
****** Whistler (search on forums) homemade intake pioneered by Mark (53willys)

I would recommend the Smarty Jr because the additional timing it adds will help on fuel economy with extra power and limited smoke. It will also lower your egts in normal daily driving and peaks temps.

As far as the clutch, the G56 is a great transmission, the Dual Mass Flywheel is the weak link though. I would strongly suggest down the road eliminating that DMF for a traditional flywheel and better clutch. I would look at Southbend Clutch for this because they are the elite in that business, and Peter is a stand-up guy, he truly wants happy customers.

Important- Due to seeing so many injector failures on the 04.5-07 trucks and any hpcr truck for that matter, I would strongly suggest you retrofit a better filtration system for your truck (simple filter housing with 2-3 micron filtration, and you can consider a water separator as well) You can find these setups pretty easy (genos garage or Glacier Diesel Performance). I believe Baldwin and Fleetguard have replacement filters for the stock canister down to 3 microns as well.

I think you would enjoy your truck and with the right work you can make it even more reliable.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Yes K&N is known to leave oil in the intake. My friend had a 7.3 Excursion with a K&N and had to replace his turbo. The "dealer" said it was the K&N that caused it by getting oil in the turbo. Can't really listen to a dealer though!