3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5-6" lifts available?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the KORE chase system with the bilstein steering stabilizer, rides like a dream...a little pricey but you get what you pay for
Old 10-05-2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by hognutz
Tuff country makes a 6"
superlift makes a 6"
skyjacker makes a 5"
procomps makes a 5"

there are others but these are the lifts I evaluated. I went with a 9.5 wheel so I wanted 6" lift because I hate tire rubbing.

superlift comes with front springs, tuff country does not. neither come with rear springs.

skyjacker comes with fairly complete but it is only 5".

pro comp is 5" but it is like the tuff country uses spacers.

I read about some issues with superlift people so my choice was the tuff country. As new as the truck was I just did not see the need for springs yet. people like the skyjacker because it comes complete but you can buy front and rear spring if you want for any of the kit. the skyjacker is like 5-600 more than the tuff country so you are paying for the springs. Eventually I will get kore billet up shock mounts, front and rear springs, and fox remote resivoir shocks when the new has worn off my truck. I have no vibrations or anything.

I think 6" is mandatory for 37" tires and your bumper. even then you may have an issue. I am unaware of anyone who makes lower control arms for 8" of lift. I have only seen 6" and 10"
I just installed the Superlift kit with a 2.5 spring spacer. The arms have enough adjustability in them to keep things where the need to be. I did modify my panhard bar to make it longer to keep my axle centered as the Superlift drop bracket was not long enough to accomodate the spacers on top of the springs. So far it rides as good as stock. I am expecting the rest of my parts this week. Should have the double/triple shock hoop with Bilstein 5150 and the rear traction bars with Double shocks for the rear as well. I am running a 20"x10" wheel with the Nitto Mud Grappler 37x13.50 tires and everything fits great.

I should have Road Armor bumpers within the next two weeks as well so we will see how much they cause the front to drop if any?
Old 10-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there any advanatage to multiple shocks? or are you doing it more fo the looks aspect. not picking on you but I am not sure I understand the multiple shock stuff as you will see a trophy truck with 1 shock. just a fox or blistien remote setup.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:38 AM

Try www.rockymountainsusp.com I have dealt with them on a couple things and have had good service.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:47 AM

You usually see those guys with one mutiple shocks as well, but they are running shocks that are bogger has multiple by-pass valves and adjustable valving and pressure. With most of the affordable street/off-road applications, you don't get all the adjustability. I would say this is kind of for looks, but at the same time, It is going to help the ride as well. The center on the front might actually get dummied. Meaning it will get drilled out and be there for looks only cause Three shocks on the front is too much!

is there any advanatage to multiple shocks? or are you doing it more fo the looks aspect. not picking on you but I am not sure I understand the multiple shock stuff as you will see a trophy truck with 1 shock. just a fox or blistien remote setup.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:50 PM

they are just selling other peoples stuff. that is a 6" tuff country lift.

they do have some accesories that are made by them it looks like.

Ahh, but the tuff country doesnt come with springs, only spacers, otherwise it is the same kit. I put a 5" on my buddies 97. The springs wouldve been way better
Old 10-09-2005, 02:18 AM

The purpose of multiple shocks is to provide consistent dampening when the shocks get hot and start to fade (monster trucks are the exception). Street driven trucks just don't work a shock that hard. Anybody who runs multiple shocks on a street driven rig is doing it just for looks. Unless the shocks are valved properly, it's gonna make the ride stiffer. Folks might think multiple shocks look cool, but those of us who know better think it's a joke. There's a hundred guys around here running dual Fox/Bilsteins on SD's and Chevys, and I'd almost guarantee none of them even know those shocks can be valved correctly. It's right up there with Toyotas on 44's with 8 shocks on the rear axle and 4 on the front.

I've alway run a single shock set up on my trucks, and they see hard desert use. Never had a problem with not enough dampening or shock fade.

Save your money and buy a decent single shock, at least a 2.0 for street use or a 2.5 or bigger if you plan on beating on it.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cowhand
The purpose of multiple shocks is to provide consistent dampening when the shocks get hot and start to fade (monster trucks are the exception). Street driven trucks just don't work a shock that hard. Anybody who runs multiple shocks on a street driven rig is doing it just for looks. Unless the shocks are valved properly, it's gonna make the ride stiffer. Folks might think multiple shocks look cool, but those of us who know better think it's a joke. There's a hundred guys around here running dual Fox/Bilsteins on SD's and Chevys, and I'd almost guarantee none of them even know those shocks can be valved correctly. It's right up there with Toyotas on 44's with 8 shocks on the rear axle and 4 on the front.

I've alway run a single shock set up on my trucks, and they see hard desert use. Never had a problem with not enough dampening or shock fade.

Save your money and buy a decent single shock, at least a 2.0 for street use or a 2.5 or bigger if you plan on beating on it.

I love this man! Right on the money. More than one shock is just for looks unless you are racing Baja.

Here is my 04.5 with a 4.5 inch Skyjacker and 37's.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Not to thread jack. But what would you suggest one shock or 2 if a person is gonna be putting on 100,000miles+ on logging roads? I know my last truck was a gasser 1/2 ton and the fabtech shocks usally lasted 3 months before they pounded out. Also be hauling like a 250gal fuel tank in the back.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by PG4x4
Not to thread jack. But what would you suggest one shock or 2 if a person is gonna be putting on 100,000miles+ on logging roads? I know my last truck was a gasser 1/2 ton and the fabtech shocks usally lasted 3 months before they pounded out. Also be hauling like a 250gal fuel tank in the back.
Now you're talking longevity vs. shock fade. If you run dual cheap shocks, you'll just end up replacing 4 instead of 2. I'd recommend biting the bullet and spending the money for a good rebuildable shock. Way cheaper to rebuild once or twice a year than to replace 4 times.....

I'd suggest trying the Bilstien 5100's. They're not rebuildable, but they should last longer and ride better then the Fabtech/Rancho/Skyjacker/Trailmaster/etc. At less then $300 a set, they're worth a try. The next step is around $1000+ for rebuildable shocks....
Old 10-09-2005, 09:52 PM

airbagit.com has a "plug-n-play" air compressor,tank,valves, controller, and ect. for 850.00 +\-.

Add four motorhome size bags, trackbar relocate bracket, Weld on 4 link kit for heavy use on both axles, swaybar spacer brackets, and better steering stabilizer and shocks, AND you will have a monster that rides on a cloud!

2 more cents added to the coin purse

James
Old 10-10-2005, 01:34 PM

Very nice looking truck djgaston what brand flares are those?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:05 PM

Is there a company that makes lift kits that dont come with shocks so I can buy good ones. Or should I just run out the ones that come with the kit? Also what about KORE shock systems? I just wanna run 35 or 37" tires.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 PM

I have a superlift 6" with single bilstein shocks. So far I like the ride and offroad handling. BUT,

I don't do this stuff for looks, I acctually drive on BRUTAL logging roads about 30% of the time, and use the highway to get there/go home. I also haul 3000lbs in the box of my truck.

I think after I put a few miles on my truck as is, I will go with the multiple shock setup (also bilstein of course), just to see the difference.

I have a set of airbags in the rear though (pics in gallery) and I am not sure how that will work with dual bilsteins, but, we'll see. I want to see for myself once and for all what difference this will make in the real world of hauling heavy stuff on BRUTAL roads.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 PM

How much did that lift cost you including shocks? cdn$$ I was quoted $1400cdn plus tax for superlift. How much did u pay for the bilsteins? I drive on logging roads most of the time to cause I'm a logger. I 4x4 it hard on my days off. I'm only 20 and still young and dumb with to much money lol.

Quick Reply: 5-6" lifts available?