Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Turbo Boost Sensor (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/turbo-boost-sensor-317280/)

Rrloren1 04-04-2014 06:52 AM

Turbo Boost Sensor

I have been getting a code for this sensor for several months, can it be removed and cleaned or does it need replacement?
Truck runs fine with 108k miles on it.

2006BLKMegacab 04-04-2014 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rrloren1 (Post 3231868)
I have been getting a code for this sensor for several months, can it be removed and cleaned or does it need replacement?
Truck runs fine with 108k miles on it.

which turbo boost sensor code?

if it is the Manifold absolute pressure sensor you can clean them, I tried to search for the how to clean info but I'm way too short on sleep to find what I'm looking for [coffee]

Rrloren1 04-05-2014 09:31 AM

P2579 is code I'm reading.

2006BLKMegacab 04-05-2014 03:04 PM

Being as P2579 is a "Turbocharger Speed Sensor Circuit Performance" issue I honestly have no clue as to what can and or should be done to rectify it, hopefully a smarter member than me will chime in and help you out, sorry!

xcc_rider 04-06-2014 05:25 PM

Go here: Posting Links to Copy Write protected is not allowed on DTR
Download the 2008 Factory Service Manual (you'll need it in the future and its FREE!).

Page 2367 is the diagnostics for the code.
Mine was a bad speed sensor and replaced under warranty. Its real easy to do yourself and not an expensive sensor either.

Rrloren1 07-11-2014 05:43 AM

The original code P2579 has gone away replaced by P2580.
The Repair Shop says replace it but the truck runs great, what does the speed sensor do and does it really need to be replaced?

By the way they want $582 for the sensor , I found it for $180 but not sure I need to replace it.

xcc_rider 07-11-2014 08:56 AM

If it is the speed sensor then it will run better if replaced.
Here's an excerpt from the forbidden service manual on the current code: The turbocharger speed sensor is a variable reluctance speed sensor. It consists of a coil of wire and an iron core. The target on the turbocharger shaft is a ground flat in the center of the shaft. As the flat on the turbocharger shaft spins past the speed sensor, a signal is generated. The ECM interprets this signal and converts it to a turbocharger speed reading. If this fault becomes active the ECM will light the MIL light immediately. During this time the ECM uses an estimated turbocharger speed. An engine power derate may be experienced. The ECM turns off the MIL when the diagnostic runs and passes in 4 consecutive drive cycles.
• When Monitored:
When the key is on and the ECM detects a valid turbocharger speed.
• Set Condition:
ECM detects turbocharger speed detected is less than a calibration limit for a calibratable amount of time.

Rrloren1 07-11-2014 10:17 AM

Thanks rider , guess I'll just replace it.

Rrloren1 07-26-2014 10:42 AM

As a followup I just had the sensor replaced and the code is gone but I've only put a few miles on it. Don't really see any improvement in performance.
FYI, the Dealer wanted $582 for the sensor , I bought it on the internet and for $188 had it delivered to my door. It was labeled an OEM cummins part. What a ripoff from Dealer !!