Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Issues after deletes... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/issues-after-deletes-217903/)

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 06:38 AM

Issues after deletes...

Well, I noticed a couple things this morning. Every now and then I thought I was feeling something strange in how the truck was running ever since doing the EGR delete. This AM I decided to keep the radio off and listen to the engine. What I realized is that sometimes when I let off the accelerator to coast to a stop the engine will have a very slight surge. It only lasts a split second then all is fine and it only does this if there is absolutely no load on the engine like if I'm coming downhill and stopping. That is no biggie as long as it keeps running fine otherwise....

Also this morning I started getting the CAT Full Svc Req message every ten minutes. My CAT is not full and it's not on the truck. I see that some have gotten this before and I'm wondering if anyone has figured a way to get rid of it for good?

My OH was all the way up to 17.2 mpg but after a bit of driving around town yesterday with some stop and go it was down to 16.6. Well, it didn't look like I was getting the right amount of miles on this tank to be seeing that mpg and when I topped it off I was only getting 15.6. Still almost 3 mpg better than before the deletes but it's funny that my last tank was higher than the OH (for once) but now it's back to reading around 1 point too high.

And of course, I think they sent me the wrong DP because it just won't fit snug up on the elbow and I get some exhaust smell in the cab on occasion. I pulled everything back off this weekend and ground a bunch of metal out of the DP and it fits better than before but it's still not all the way perfectly flush. I noticed that the outlet of the turbo comes out straight while the DP inlet was slightly tapered. I will probably pull it off again in a few days and grind some more out of it. It's much better now but still there's a hint of exhaust on occasion if you sit with the windows down...

I'm still happy but I guess I'm gonna be one of the guys with all the problems with these things. What's new...........

MikeyB 09-22-2008 07:27 AM

Check the electrical connections to each of the three sensor foolers. Also did you unplug the pressure sensor connector mounted to the transmission?

MikeyB

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 07:31 AM

Yup, I've done all that. Since I did not get the CAT full message before this weekend I will recheck those connections though. The only ones I messed with were the plugs on the O2 sensors.
One question though. Did you leave the hoses connected to the box on the trans? When I was pulling it all off it was easier to pull the hoses off the box and leave them connected to the lines. I'm wondering if I should stick them back on the box just to help keep water out of the box. I am aware not to plug the lines.

J3Cub 09-22-2008 08:40 AM

I did away with the EGR system Friday. I disconnected the EGR butterfly on the right side, above the exhaust. Then I removed the crossover pipe, cut the ends off, and Tig Welded Caps on them, and reinstalled them as plugs. I disconnected the wires to the cast iron piston type valve on the left side. Then removed the butterfly from the VDC unit, and reconnected the wires to it, and the Temp. Probe, and the O2 sensor(I guess it’s the O2 sensor) All is good now, and my mileage went from 17 at best, to 21.
This morning the wire plug came off of the VDC unit (my fault) and the red light for the Throttle position came on, and my mileage dropped. I reconnected it, and its back to 21mpg, with no light.

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 09:49 AM

Well, one thing I have noticed is that anytime I hammer it the OH mileage goes up. On my last tank I never hit the pedal hard and that's probably why the mileage was exactly what the OH was telling me. This tank, however, the truck is louder so I was putting my foot to it more often and that's what probably screwed the OH up. I'm not sure if that's the cause though. Just a theory....

MikeyB 09-22-2008 10:53 AM

I left the rubber lines attached to the hard lines on the stock exhaust. You could attach some rubber hoses to the pressure sensor but I don't think it's necessary.

MikeyB

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 10:58 AM

Thanks. Hopefully I can figure something out to get this irritating dinging message to stop. Unplugging that box is what is supposed to keep that message from popping up.....

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 05:27 PM

Well, I cleared the codes before leaving work and I'm back to having the "SYSTEM OK" message again. We'll see how long it lasts. I guess I may have to clear them every few days. It had been about a week since I cleared them last....

bbturbo 09-22-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by J3Cub (Post 2217996)
I did away with the EGR system Friday. I disconnected the EGR butterfly on the right side, above the exhaust. Then I removed the crossover pipe, cut the ends off, and Tig Welded Caps on them, and reinstalled them as plugs. I disconnected the wires to the cast iron piston type valve on the left side. Then removed the butterfly from the VDC unit, and reconnected the wires to it, and the Temp. Probe, and the O2 sensor(I guess it’s the O2 sensor) All is good now, and my mileage went from 17 at best, to 21.
This morning the wire plug came off of the VDC unit (my fault) and the red light for the Throttle position came on, and my mileage dropped. I reconnected it, and its back to 21mpg, with no light.

I've been wondering for the longest time why nobody was doing this! I hesitated because I believe that the system injects fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stoke to raise the exhaust temps during the regen cycle. Seems to me the computer will still try to regen?

However if the DPF never requires a regen it won't happen. Or will it? Regen cycles are initiated by back pressure sensors in the exhaust before and after the DPF. Right?

Man would I love to get good mileage!!

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 08:25 PM

When you do the DPF delete you get fooler boxes to replace the pyro sensors in the exhaust. With those you will no longer have regens.
Dude! It is sooooooo nice getting 16mpg driving around town again. 13 mpg just plain sucks!!! I don't even know what my highway mileage is yet but I predict it will be in the low to mid 20s easily without having to drive 60 or 65 mph all the time...

bbturbo 09-22-2008 08:42 PM

I've got to get a kit.... simple as that.

Sorry to hear about all the issues you've had getting your truck dialed in.

J-man 09-22-2008 09:26 PM

Who sells these kits? As noted in my thread, my boss is planning on buying one of these trucks and I am trying to help him get it set up right form the beginning.

Chubby 09-22-2008 10:42 PM

12000 miles and not a problem

ChrisM55 09-22-2008 10:43 PM

2 companies sell these. H&S and BADP (bay area diesel performance). I have the H&S kit and LOVE IT!!!!! Like Zilla said, 16 around town and on my first long trip I got 18.9 with a quad in the truck and a ton of junk with 4 people!! Probably at least an extra #1500 of stuff on the trip!

H&S kits are about 650.00 for the turbo back and BADP are a bit over a grand. The H&S are aluminized and the BADP are S-S that is what the price difference is for.

I have not had the issues with mine, but I am also running an Edge Jucie W/ Attitude on it and it clears the codes every time it starts the truck.

Chris

J3Cub 09-23-2008 07:54 AM

When I went to remove the butterfly from the VDC unit, I removed the Aluminum intake from the head. I was very surprised to see 1/8 inch of black soot in the pipe, and down in the intake. I cleaned it all out the best I could before reinstalling.
No doubt, this will kill the engine in a short time, so I would highly recommend everyone to delete the EGR system, as soon as possible.