Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/)
-   -   Issues after deletes... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2007-up-114/issues-after-deletes-217903/)

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 06:38 AM

Issues after deletes...

Well, I noticed a couple things this morning. Every now and then I thought I was feeling something strange in how the truck was running ever since doing the EGR delete. This AM I decided to keep the radio off and listen to the engine. What I realized is that sometimes when I let off the accelerator to coast to a stop the engine will have a very slight surge. It only lasts a split second then all is fine and it only does this if there is absolutely no load on the engine like if I'm coming downhill and stopping. That is no biggie as long as it keeps running fine otherwise....

Also this morning I started getting the CAT Full Svc Req message every ten minutes. My CAT is not full and it's not on the truck. I see that some have gotten this before and I'm wondering if anyone has figured a way to get rid of it for good?

My OH was all the way up to 17.2 mpg but after a bit of driving around town yesterday with some stop and go it was down to 16.6. Well, it didn't look like I was getting the right amount of miles on this tank to be seeing that mpg and when I topped it off I was only getting 15.6. Still almost 3 mpg better than before the deletes but it's funny that my last tank was higher than the OH (for once) but now it's back to reading around 1 point too high.

And of course, I think they sent me the wrong DP because it just won't fit snug up on the elbow and I get some exhaust smell in the cab on occasion. I pulled everything back off this weekend and ground a bunch of metal out of the DP and it fits better than before but it's still not all the way perfectly flush. I noticed that the outlet of the turbo comes out straight while the DP inlet was slightly tapered. I will probably pull it off again in a few days and grind some more out of it. It's much better now but still there's a hint of exhaust on occasion if you sit with the windows down...

I'm still happy but I guess I'm gonna be one of the guys with all the problems with these things. What's new...........

MikeyB 09-22-2008 07:27 AM

Check the electrical connections to each of the three sensor foolers. Also did you unplug the pressure sensor connector mounted to the transmission?

MikeyB

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 07:31 AM

Yup, I've done all that. Since I did not get the CAT full message before this weekend I will recheck those connections though. The only ones I messed with were the plugs on the O2 sensors.
One question though. Did you leave the hoses connected to the box on the trans? When I was pulling it all off it was easier to pull the hoses off the box and leave them connected to the lines. I'm wondering if I should stick them back on the box just to help keep water out of the box. I am aware not to plug the lines.

J3Cub 09-22-2008 08:40 AM

I did away with the EGR system Friday. I disconnected the EGR butterfly on the right side, above the exhaust. Then I removed the crossover pipe, cut the ends off, and Tig Welded Caps on them, and reinstalled them as plugs. I disconnected the wires to the cast iron piston type valve on the left side. Then removed the butterfly from the VDC unit, and reconnected the wires to it, and the Temp. Probe, and the O2 sensor(I guess it’s the O2 sensor) All is good now, and my mileage went from 17 at best, to 21.
This morning the wire plug came off of the VDC unit (my fault) and the red light for the Throttle position came on, and my mileage dropped. I reconnected it, and its back to 21mpg, with no light.

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 09:49 AM

Well, one thing I have noticed is that anytime I hammer it the OH mileage goes up. On my last tank I never hit the pedal hard and that's probably why the mileage was exactly what the OH was telling me. This tank, however, the truck is louder so I was putting my foot to it more often and that's what probably screwed the OH up. I'm not sure if that's the cause though. Just a theory....

MikeyB 09-22-2008 10:53 AM

I left the rubber lines attached to the hard lines on the stock exhaust. You could attach some rubber hoses to the pressure sensor but I don't think it's necessary.

MikeyB

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 10:58 AM

Thanks. Hopefully I can figure something out to get this irritating dinging message to stop. Unplugging that box is what is supposed to keep that message from popping up.....

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 05:27 PM

Well, I cleared the codes before leaving work and I'm back to having the "SYSTEM OK" message again. We'll see how long it lasts. I guess I may have to clear them every few days. It had been about a week since I cleared them last....

bbturbo 09-22-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by J3Cub (Post 2217996)
I did away with the EGR system Friday. I disconnected the EGR butterfly on the right side, above the exhaust. Then I removed the crossover pipe, cut the ends off, and Tig Welded Caps on them, and reinstalled them as plugs. I disconnected the wires to the cast iron piston type valve on the left side. Then removed the butterfly from the VDC unit, and reconnected the wires to it, and the Temp. Probe, and the O2 sensor(I guess it’s the O2 sensor) All is good now, and my mileage went from 17 at best, to 21.
This morning the wire plug came off of the VDC unit (my fault) and the red light for the Throttle position came on, and my mileage dropped. I reconnected it, and its back to 21mpg, with no light.

I've been wondering for the longest time why nobody was doing this! I hesitated because I believe that the system injects fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stoke to raise the exhaust temps during the regen cycle. Seems to me the computer will still try to regen?

However if the DPF never requires a regen it won't happen. Or will it? Regen cycles are initiated by back pressure sensors in the exhaust before and after the DPF. Right?

Man would I love to get good mileage!!

Dodgezilla 09-22-2008 08:25 PM

When you do the DPF delete you get fooler boxes to replace the pyro sensors in the exhaust. With those you will no longer have regens.
Dude! It is sooooooo nice getting 16mpg driving around town again. 13 mpg just plain sucks!!! I don't even know what my highway mileage is yet but I predict it will be in the low to mid 20s easily without having to drive 60 or 65 mph all the time...

bbturbo 09-22-2008 08:42 PM

I've got to get a kit.... simple as that.

Sorry to hear about all the issues you've had getting your truck dialed in.

J-man 09-22-2008 09:26 PM

Who sells these kits? As noted in my thread, my boss is planning on buying one of these trucks and I am trying to help him get it set up right form the beginning.

Chubby 09-22-2008 10:42 PM

12000 miles and not a problem

ChrisM55 09-22-2008 10:43 PM

2 companies sell these. H&S and BADP (bay area diesel performance). I have the H&S kit and LOVE IT!!!!! Like Zilla said, 16 around town and on my first long trip I got 18.9 with a quad in the truck and a ton of junk with 4 people!! Probably at least an extra #1500 of stuff on the trip!

H&S kits are about 650.00 for the turbo back and BADP are a bit over a grand. The H&S are aluminized and the BADP are S-S that is what the price difference is for.

I have not had the issues with mine, but I am also running an Edge Jucie W/ Attitude on it and it clears the codes every time it starts the truck.

Chris

J3Cub 09-23-2008 07:54 AM

When I went to remove the butterfly from the VDC unit, I removed the Aluminum intake from the head. I was very surprised to see 1/8 inch of black soot in the pipe, and down in the intake. I cleaned it all out the best I could before reinstalling.
No doubt, this will kill the engine in a short time, so I would highly recommend everyone to delete the EGR system, as soon as possible.

CamperAndy 09-23-2008 08:25 AM

Issues after the delete may include not being able to resale or trade in of the truck. Anyone put much thought into that issue. I know everyone assumes the warranty is void but was wondering if many people thought some of the long term issues.

J3Cub 09-23-2008 08:41 AM

But if you don’t do the deletes, the truck will not be running at the time of sale, or trade, so it doesn’t matter. Ha! Ha!

Dodgezilla 09-23-2008 08:47 AM

Most of us are smart enough to hang on to the parts we are taking off the truck just in case.
I plan on keeping my truck forever so it doesn't matter though...[whistle]

CamperAndy 09-23-2008 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla (Post 2219295)
Most of us are smart enough to hang on to the parts we are taking off the truck just in case.
I plan on keeping my truck forever so it doesn't matter though...[whistle]

Maybe true but seems that a few people have hacked up the system to the point that they would need new parts, which makes putting it back to legal build a bit more of a challenge.

Dodgezilla 09-23-2008 09:35 AM

I agree with you there. I guess that anyone buying a used 6.7 should make sure they do a good inspection before signing handing over the $$$......

mnmlod 09-23-2008 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy (Post 2219318)
Maybe true but seems that a few people have hacked up the system to the point that they would need new parts, which makes putting it back to legal build a bit more of a challenge.

I gutted a couple 5.9 cats and basically straight piped mine. I also saved all of the parts off of mine, dpf and the other 2 cats, for future install when it gets sold or traded in.

ChrisM55 09-23-2008 09:43 PM

mine are on the shelf in the shed with rags on both ends. If it comes time to sell her she will go back to stock and I will sell the goodies after.

Chris

BroncoHound 09-23-2008 11:02 PM

I just plain wouldn't buy a used 6.7L. You never know what someone has done with the truck beforehand. For every owner out there that maintains a vehicle like i do, there are 10,000 that beat the heck out of it knowing that long before something wears out it will be traded in on the latest and greatest. It's either buy brand new or so old it needs a complete overhaul so i will know every bolt on it before it hits the road.

And when i sell my truck it will be sold as-is. I still have every piece of stock equipment and will return it to stock if the buyer desires but the buyer will know how the truck has been modified before purchase. I don't believe in deception for personal gain.

MikeyB 09-24-2008 07:04 AM

My Dad just informed me his truck just posted the DPF full after installing the H&S kit. He cleared the codes and will see if the error comes up again. He did drive it for a little while with the pressure switch connector still plugged in.

MikeyB

mastercaster 09-24-2008 12:14 PM

LOL, if i were to buy a used 6.7 down the road, i'd love for the previous owner to have had the wherewithal to get the crap that actually kills the truck off of it!! when and if i sell mine, i'll crawl up in the attic grab all of the oem bull$h!t and either reinstall it for the new owner, or just hand it over for them to stick in his/her attic. no troubles. truck sure runs good without it though.

BroncoHound 09-24-2008 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla (Post 2217924)
My OH was all the way up to 17.2 mpg but after a bit of driving around town yesterday with some stop and go it was down to 16.6. Well, it didn't look like I was getting the right amount of miles on this tank to be seeing that mpg and when I topped it off I was only getting 15.6. Still almost 3 mpg better than before the deletes but it's funny that my last tank was higher than the OH (for once) but now it's back to reading around 1 point too high.

I think your last fillup (with just the EGR unplugged, around 90 miles worth if i remember correctly) could have skewed your perception of gains a bit. With that little amount of fuel used (wasn't it around 5.xx gallons?) a slight amount of variance could cause a fairly steep increase or decrease in calculated MPG. Say, for instance, you went 100 miles and filled up with 5.25 gallons of fuel. That's 19.05mpg. However, say you only added 5.00 gallons of fuel. That's 20mpg. 5.5gallons of fuel? 18.18mpg. As little as a 1/4 of a gallon can cause a drastic change in your figures and is probably why, for that one fillup only, your hand calculated mileage was better than your overhead.

I've actually been thinking on this a bit and, even with a full tank of fuel, there is still a fairly substantial room for error. So, i haven't been calculating my mileage at the pump lately. instead i've just been keeping the small receipts that show gallons pumped, writing the mileage for that fillup on them, and throwing them in the center console. After two or three thousand miles, i'll calculate total miles versus total gallons and that should give me a much more precise figure for average MPG.

As for the "Catalyst Full" message, i think the computer starts thinking the steady signal being sent by the fooler box that tells it the catalyst is not in need of a regen, after it goes so long without a regen, is actually telling the computer that the catalyst is full, thus the message. i think clearing the codes probably resets the parameters so it should probably be done once a week or so to keep the message and, more importantly that demonic dinger, from bugging you while driving.

As for the DP, i honestly don't know what to tell you. Mine needed a little shaving but was nowhere near the headache that it sounds like yours is turning out to be. I guess the adage is right; some people have all the luck. You just happen to have all the BAD luck when it comes to non-OEM equipment on your trucks. That's got to make you want to [duhhh]

Dodgezilla 09-24-2008 04:02 PM

You got that right. I had the same problems trying to BOMB my 07.
I totally agree about the mileage too. It was time to install the DPF delete though so I figured I would fill up right before doing it. Lots of variables to consider, as you said. I am by no means saying I am unhappy with a 3 mpg increase though.. ;)
If it's not raining Sunday then I may pull the whole system back off one more time and grind until the DP sits totally flush on the elbow. I may even pull the elbow off so I don't have to keep putting the DP up in the truck to see if it fits right....
I'm just gonna start clearing the codes every three or four days. I think that the ECM just sees these codes continuously for a certain amount of time and just figures that something must be really clogged and gives that message. No biggie though.
I'm hooked up to the trailer and I took a vacation day tomorrow and I'm doing a small household move locally. We'll see how the mileage is around town. The absolute best I got with it before the deletes was 10 mpg.....

coolbreeze 09-24-2008 07:33 PM

I appreciate your candor. I'm definitely not interested in buying parts and then modifying them to fit and I really hate the smell of diesel smoke.