3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code P1451??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code P1451??

Check for codes today and this P1451 came up anybody know what this is, I had no CEL.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

from memory when I had mine strait piped that is dpf system performance. Do you have any other codes or does your over head say anything about cat full message. Have you had all the lastest flashes they took care of 99% of the problems with the dpf. I havent heard of a problem in a while.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM

I did find that code and you are right it is system performance I have the AU flash, and everything is working fine on my truck BUT!! it's -20C here an I went on a 1000km trip and my truck was regening like crazey 4 TIMES !!! in 1000km fuel milage really sucked, Overhead says system OK I was concerned about this when I got this truck,temps are not high enough to keep the DPF clean on it's own with the low temp and it's not that cold here yet and now a rediclous amount of fuel is being dumped into the exhaust. I think I even mentioned this winter time problem a few months ago when the mercury drops this cold the exhaust temp generated by the engine is not enough to keep the soot accumulation down when driving mmy regens were lasting about 15 to 40 min this is nuts only 400 miles to a tank of fuel.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Oh and I just got off the phone with my brother and he lives a hour from me and guess what he has the p1451 code as well!! we have the exact same trucks, but he has a p0128 code and I don't know what that one is.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:03 PM

P0128 is usually the thermostat was stuck open and truck didn't come to temp in time. I just cleared it off and it never came back. P1451...better see th dealer!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

when I had mine strait piped and went back I had alot of problems getting it fixed but, the dealer let me use all there things and the first thing they will do is measure the temp difference between the 3 sensors and if they are not with in 3 * then they will need to replace the senors. Thats what I think is wrong. If it comes up dpf soot accumalation cont remember the code but thats what will have the cat full message and cause problems. SInce your cel came on has the truck still been regenerating and you need to find out if the code is active or just set off.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
1451 is Evap Emission Control Sys Vent Control Valve Circuit

I also have the 0128 which is...Coolant Thermostat Malfunction as mentioned...I bet you its not the actual thermostat and its probably a voltage issue. I am noticing a bit of a trend here...most of us with these codes are in some very cold temps right now. I am in Regina SK.
My wife says the truck is saying its just plain cold outside.

Scotty
Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM

the only code that came up on the key trick is the 1451 and I don't have a cel, It's very well possible that that the problem but this is the first day that I drove the truck on weather this cold, and the last time i dorve my truck it was around the freezing point and I drove 800km I had a catalist message before the 800km trip it was at 90% from driving around town and about 2 hours of idleing but after 10 min of driving on the highway it was at system ok and it didn't regen once for the rest of the trip now that it's very cold outside it's in regen alot.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
1451 is Evap Emission Control Sys Vent Control Valve Circuit

I also have the 0128 which is...Coolant Thermostat Malfunction as mentioned...I bet you its not the actual thermostat and its probably a voltage issue. I am noticing a bit of a trend here...most of us with these codes are in some very cold temps right now. I am in Regina SK.
My wife says the truck is saying its just plain cold outside.

Scotty
does this have anything to do with the g30 recall because I don't have that done yet. How did you find the P1451 code the info I have says it's to do with the dpf preformance and with the systoms I have it seems correct but i'm not a dodge mechanic. Oh and speeking of trend did you let you truck warm up enough when you got the 128 code my brother mentioned to me he was sure the code set because he didn't let it warm up enough, his CEL came on twice. I don't move my truck until the temp is rising on the gauge.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM

im curious if some kind of an exhaust wrap or insulation would help out quite a bit in cold weather. But like some one else stated, i would hope cummins/dodge thought about the cold at some point or another, and they hopefully had a good reason for no insulation.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Top's Younger Twin

A friend found the codes on the bullydog site...its a pdf file...That does not mean its accurate though.
I remember someone posting a link to where the after treatment components on the non C&C is all Dodges stuff not Cummins'. I wonder what to believe nowadays. I had that msg on the overhead come up for the second time in 21000 miles today too. CATALYST STAT 80%. I read about it in the owners manual the first time it came up and decided I would take the truck for a drive and clean it up...I did not even get on the highway and it showed 70% and then cleared off. SYSTEM OK.
I think the cold weather is messing with this stuff. JMO Not to mention that I am idling more now too. As for operating temp...the truck usually idles with the exhaust brake on and set to about 1200 rpm for around 5-10 minutes...whatever time it takes to get loaded up, clear snow off etc.

Scotty
Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
A friend found the codes on the bullydog site...its a pdf file...That does not mean its accurate though.
I remember someone posting a link to where the after treatment components on the non C&C is all Dodges stuff not Cummins'. I wonder what to believe nowadays. I had that msg on the overhead come up for the second time in 21000 miles today too. CATALYST STAT 80%. I read about it in the owners manual the first time it came up and decided I would take the truck for a drive and clean it up...I did not even get on the highway and it showed 70% and then cleared off. SYSTEM OK.
I think the cold weather is messing with this stuff. JMO Not to mention that I am idling more now too. As for operating temp...the truck usually idles with the exhaust brake on and set to about 1200 rpm for around 5-10 minutes...whatever time it takes to get loaded up, clear snow off etc.

Scotty
I agree with you thta the cold is effecting the system, as for the 128 code the 2 times my brother warmed his up for 5 to 10 than drove away than the cel light came on the went off, he said the second time it happened the light came on in almost the exact spot on the road, this is some really good discussion I would like to here from others if they believe the colder temps are making thre truck throw more codes because this IMO is a start of a whole new batch of flashes.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by caper11
I agree with you thta the cold is effecting the system, as for the 128 code the 2 times my brother warmed his up for 5 to 10 than drove away than the cel light came on the went off, he said the second time it happened the light came on in almost the exact spot on the road, this is some really good discussion I would like to here from others if they believe the colder temps are making thre truck throw more codes because this IMO is a start of a whole new batch of flashes.
Nobody start blaming the Canadian trucks either because I bought this one in the USA
Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 AM

My truck only has 2600 miles on it bought it end of nov. Dealer said it had the latest flashes. Temp dropped below 0 yesturday, my wife took the truck to work. Warmed it up for about 20 minutes. Got in it yesturday afternoon and the check engine light came on error codes are p0128 and p1451 took the truck out on the hiway. Overhead didn't say cat 80% but it did go into regen. milage went way down on over head drove truck until milage came back up, about 80 miles. Check engine light hasn't gone out yet. have app. with dealer in two day's. (hope it is safe to drive the truck 3 hours to the dealer). Check Engine light isn't flashing.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Bully Dog's website has a link to most of the codes that can be thrown. Check out their site if you need info on codes.

Quick Reply: Code P1451??