3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wicks fuel filters, How do they compare

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I think that is unfortunate, but history has proven some will deny what ever they can. No big deal. I don't argue on internet boards. I am sure the baldwins are great. I just hate seeing so many people tell other people something will kill their engine or trans or something else just because they read it somewhere. Maybe it was because of your exhaust and they added the filter just for the sake of making it look like there was multiple issues. Anyway, just for the heck of it I just called a local dodge dealer as I don't take my trucks to the dealer for anything and asked them about the filter. Told them I was coming there with a 2007 5.9 and I was worried becasue I had been running WIX filters and I read on some truck boards that they were not approved. Service manager said "good for you, most people run junk filters" LOL oh well, I will jump out of this filter issue. you guys are right.

take care
Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 PM

You must use a replacement part that meets the manufacturers specs or surpasses it. In this case the fuel filter does not meet it so you take your chances by using it . if they are relatively the same price why not use the one that meets ?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is unknown at what percentage that WIX separates water, they won't say, nor will they publish it.. But the info they do publish is enough to void a warranty, so take it or leave it.

Per Dodge TSB 14-007-06 the required specs are 7um absolute per J1985 specs, and 95% free/emulsified water sep. Per Wix their filter for the HPCR is 8um absolute.. doesn't meet spec, end of story. Thou if you call Wix their literal comment is "good enough".. I know several people who have gotten that response.. that lack of caring is enough for me not to run their filters in anything.. they just don't care, they know filters will sell and thats their bottom line.

As far as oil filters, they are better than the OEM filter, but not as good as the Stratapore or Donaldson/Amsoil filters.

No clue on air, trans.

The only filters that meet OE spec are OEM, Donaldson P550800 and the Baldwin PF7977 (same as Hasings FF1260). Of those the Baldwin/Hastings exceeds the OE requirements and is 5um absolute.

But run what you want.. Bosch told Dodge to run 5um, they started at 10um and are now specing 7um, with a 5um in the works... Ever consider why? You may think 8 is close to 7, but its not close to 5um like Bosch wants... And at 23,206psi I want the best filtration I can get.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
As far as oil filters, they are better than the OEM filter, but not as good as the Stratapore or Donaldson/Amsoil filters.

i though that the oems where fleetguards with mopar on them?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ripping r
i though that the oems where fleetguards with mopar on them?
They are.. but the standard Fleetguard, not the Stratapore.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM

They are.. but the standard Fleetguard, not the Stratapore.
ok i get that. but your saying that wix is better?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ripping r
ok i get that. but your saying that wix is better?
They have a better micron rating than the OEM filter, not the Stratapore. So yes, Wix oil is better than OEM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:47 PM

They have a better micron rating than the OEM filter, not the Stratapore. So yes, Wix oil is better than OEM.
ok i would have never thought that to be the case.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM

I`ve always run wix filters. I think they`re a good filter, but my dodge dealer did deny warranty on my 06 because I was running a wix. They wouldn`t warranty a tubo because of it.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM

Not sure how long ago you had to get your turbo worked on, but you can fight it. They can not deny the whole truck because of a fuel filter. The fuel filter has no relevance to the turbo going out.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by banyon
I`ve always run wix filters. I think they`re a good filter, but my dodge dealer did deny warranty on my 06 because I was running a wix. They wouldn`t warranty a tubo because of it.
Oil or fuel? If it was oil then they can void that coverage, not your whole warranty. And if that is the case they need to provide physical documentation of the failure, then with that documentation you sue Wix and they pay for the damages.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Oh yea I didn't think about him possibly talking about a Wix oil filter. I assumed it was fuel because of the discussion prior to.

I have not seen anything that says what micron rating is required for oil filters. You got any info on that AH46ID?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
I have not seen anything that says what micron rating is required for oil filters. You got any info on that AH46ID?
I haven't, but OEM is 35um.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM

I don't ever recall anything requirments for oil filtration, so I would assume the Wix filter he was talking about was fuel. But at this point it is all speculation. It's sickining how a dealer is so quick to turn away warranty work. That is the crap that makes a customer a one time customer, rather than a lifetime customer.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:32 PM

I am a fleet manager for lancaster county, we have over 350 vehicles, diesel and gas vehicles, i have never seen a warrenty voided over a filter, but if you were to call WIX they should have to cover the repairs if the dealership can prove that there filter was the cause of the problem. I have talked with a lot of filter reps about this and all have said that they would have to cover the repair if there filter causes the failure.

Quick Reply: Wicks fuel filters, How do they compare