3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

WHERE DID THEY PUT IT????

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:WHERE DID THEY PUT IT????

This truck- never seen a drop of water, My old 6.9 though I got some bad fuel once and it sputtered and spit and coughed and then I went and tapped off a whole Racor water separator worth of water, believe me just look at the concrete and you can see the water in the fuel as it pours. The truck instantly ran smooth too, it actually injested some water and that is not a good thing. Had to replace both the injectors and the injection pump within a year too so I'm sure it did some damage. Pump for those old boys are in the low 300s and injectors are only 25 bucks new. I do not want that to happen again!

I turned on the fuel pump and used the shrader valve to drain out the line to the pump or it would have been worse. Just to say "Water Happens!" Keep the trap tapped and the fuel filter nice and new now!

I got into it when I ran low in a podunk little town and figured that 10 gallons would get me home nice and easy. I've always bought it at a high volume place ever since.

Monte
Old 10-05-2003, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What i'm saying is I dont believe the stock fuel filter is effective at stopping water. A racor $200 filter is a different story, although I dont think they're ANYWHERE near as effective as they claim to be..
Old 10-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Banned

Yes I drained mine into a jar to check for water. There was none. Of all the diesels I have driven for all the miles I have not lost an injection pump or injectors due to water. I really don't believe it is that big of a deal myself. FWIW
Old 10-05-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's there allright, its just that the cheap fuel filters we put in our vehicles aren't effective at separating water....which is why I think its stuipid that everyone uses a demulsifying additive like stanadyne or powerservice. Since the filters do not effectively remove water, folks should be using an emulsifying additive, to safely pass the water through the system.... Normal #2 diesel averages 70-90ppm of water per gallon... that water is definitely passing through the system...might as well use an additive that safely lets it do so....but this isn't an additive thread...folks can pm me if they want more info on a good emulsifying additive........
Old 10-05-2003, 05:59 PM
Banned

Never said it wasn't there just said I don't think it is that big of a deal (Now that I said that all 6 injectors will probably go south tomorrow on me..... :-X)
Old 10-06-2003, 08:01 AM

Well finally got to drain mine, now that I know where it is...got about a half a cup of liquid out of it. This was the first drain in 3200 miles. Thanks for all the input.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:29 AM

Well, I have never drained mine. 12K. Guess I should do it to be on the safe side.