3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

An update on my screw up

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An update on my screw up

Got the results back on my oil analysis. Nothing out of normal limits. I suppose that's good news. Talked with the owner of the local diesel repair shop and he thinks it's an injector issue. Going over some things in my head it starts to make sense. Cold starts have some white smoke and a rough idle for a minute or so. The truck usually takes 3-5 seconds of cranking to start. I had thought this was normal, being as this was my first 3rd gen.
The plan now is to check the exhaust temps at the manifold to see if there's any major difference. Run an injector cut out test, and check the back flow. Then we'll check compression warm and cold. That should tell us alot more about what's going on and get us on the right track. Luckily I can have my injectors tested locally and they also have new Bosch injectors in stock. I'll post the results as soon as we get them.

Last edited by GregC; 02-02-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: left a word out
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GregC
Got the results back on my oil analysis. Nothing out of normal limits. I suppose that's good news. Talked with the owner of the local diesel repair shop and he thinks it's an injector issue. Going over some things in my head it starts to make sense. Cold starts have some white smoke and a rough idle for a minute or so. The truck usually takes 3-5 seconds of cranking to start. I had thought this was normal, being as this was my first 3rd gen.
The plan now is to check the exhaust temps at the manifold to see if there's any major difference. Run an injector cut out test, and check the back flow. Then we'll check compression warm and cold. That should tell us alot more about what's going on and get us on the right track. Luckily I can have my injectors tested locally and they also new Bosch injectors in stock. I'll post the results as soon as we get them.
That does sound like good news. If you had a bearing issue it would have shown up in the oil analysis.