3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Surging in second gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Surging in second gear

I need some help...06 2500 diesel. 40k mi. I have been experiencing some surging if I leave the throttle at a low setting (basically, travelling in the 15mph range) If I take off from a light and cruise past that mark, no problem. If I have to maintain that speed it surges. Seems like tranny, but ive heard a throttle positioning sensor. Any advice? I had the Bully Dog on for 15k then took it off and problem is better but not cured. Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the DTR! Please, fill in signature ,under User CP, so we know what all you have on your truck.
I'm assuming, from you comments, it's an automatic?
Surging.... as in back and forth shifting (I'm guessing here)??

RJ
Old 11-12-2008, 07:17 PM

i have the same problem

only thing is, i have almost 150k on the stock tranny and it's doing it cause the bands are glaised. it only does it at low throttle, once you give it moderate or heavy throttle it shifts fine since the pressure goes up. hope that's not the case for you, but it sure sounds like it.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM

Surging for sure. I see the word hunting used, but it doesnt downshift or upshift. the rpms rise and fall during this time as well. These bands...what can I do about them. Someone suggested the throttle positioning system, I dont know anything about that though.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 AM

RPM surging... with no corresponding speed change usually means the converter is slipping. Suspect your Bully Dog has over worked your stock tranny.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 AM

same thing here...........

Mine does it as well, only at low speeds as you stated, and only if you maintain that speed. The trucks surges as well tho, not just the tachometer, so to me the tranny is not slipping. IMO anyways.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:12 AM

mine feels almost like it's constantly engaging and disegaging. my whole truck surges and so does the rpm. when i got my truck it was a known problem. i did a band adjustment and they where 12+ turns out. it seemed like days winding it in. i was told that most likly the bands were glaised and basically it was too late, time for a rebuild.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM

I have the same prob with mine. If i keep it at around 15mph in 2nd gear it surges. When i take off from a dead stop it vibrates like crazy until i hit 3rd or let off. I already had the Governor Solenoid and Transducer replaced. Someone said the torque converter could be going out but I'm jut getting frustrated now. If you figure it out hit me up plezzzz.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 AM

I have just about 50k miles on my truck and most of it with the Smarty, and about half of it with ATS TC and VB. if i put the truck in 2 it bucks at idle, if I put it in 1 its fine. going up a 6% grade for about 5 miles caused my trans temp to go to 250*, also I went up a steep hill ( about 30 degrees) and it would just rev up and I couldnt go faster than 27 mph....think I need new clutch packs and bands? a rebuild?

any help/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated..

oh..and I think those whose posted their tranny issues may do well from a band adjustment if they havent done it already.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by uber_dzl
.. if i put the truck in 2 it bucks at idle, if I put it in 1 its fine.
Confusing. Putting tranny in 2nd at idle is same as putting it in first. Second is actually 1st and 2nd. gears only??
How is it in drive at idle?

RJ
Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 AM

For the OP, are you sure it's not when the trans is shifting? My 06 and many others have had issues with "hunting". My particular truck seems to get caught in the 1-2 shift, kinda sits in between for a minute it feels like, and finishes the shift.

There is a TSB for it, and it's two parts for around 100 bucks that can be changed out in about an hour. OR, you can buy a performance valve body and get new sensors with it

I'd lean towards the latter....
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM

Surging

My '03 was surging and would do it some at any steady held speed. It kept getting a little worse, tach wouldn't show it but you could feel and hear it. I took it to a shop I use and they found the fuel regulator on the injector pump was going bad. Apparently Dodge knows this but it is not a call back item. I had the regulator changed, truck doesn't surge any more. But I have another problem, it idles really rough, sounds like an old John Deere tractor, putt, putt, etc. Computer doesn't show anything wrong. No white or black smoke, cranks good, runs good, just idles rough. Started this about 3 weeks ago. Any ideas, anyone?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Confusing. Putting tranny in 2nd at idle is same as putting it in first. Second is actually 1st and 2nd. gears only??
How is it in drive at idle?

RJ

sorry im late to respond, I wrote it backwards, this is what I meant: Its bucks in 1 at idle but is fine at 2, as well as D.

its kinda weird, its almost as if 1st gear is bad so wen u put it in 2 or D it skips 1st.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM

I just spoke with ATS, they suggested that I check the cable( I forgot what they called it) that shifts the truck (P R N D 2 1) for proper adjustment or damage, and if its fine then I should take the truck to a transmission shop, and if the shop finds something wrong with my valvebody, that I can ship my VB back to them and they will fix under warranty (im still covered).

Well I checked the cable and re-adjusted it and now the truck doesnt buck anymore.

Im well satisfied with their customer service, this isnt the first time I've called either, they were helpful last time too.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Mine used to do it and I had the TSB performed that replaces the solenoids and now no problem.

Quick Reply: Surging in second gear