3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Simple question about lubing

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple question about lubing

I am doing all my maintenance and will be greasing the tie rod ends and the font UV joint with the needle probe fitting. My question is, what type of grease is everyone using? I don't want to go with some cheap stuff by accident so i figured i better find out from the pros on whats the right good stuff to use. Also how many pumps are you guys getting in the tie rod end zerk fittings w/o blowing the boot?
Thanks
Eric
Old 10-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Banned

I use the marine type grease, I figure it will not wash out as well as the regular type. You can buy it at wal-mart for less than most places and is not more expensive than regular grease.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:33 AM

I agree with Bull..
Find a good Aluminum Complex grease and stay away from lithium (soap based) grease.
It has better reversability meaning it sucks back in to an area after it has compressed due to pressure or shock.
It has a much higher film strenght which means that it holds up longer under pressure and heat long after the Lithium greases give up.
It won't wash out...
And it is completely compatible with other greases so you don't have to worry about mixing them. >> Because who is going to clean the old stuff out?

I switched about 4 years ago and notice a HUGE difference on usage...
I maintain about 2500-3000 vehicles and some pretty large fleets and my usage dropped by almost half!!! The biggest place I noticed is in Ujoints on big rigs... They normally take about 30-35 shots with Lithium grease... they now take 15-20 after 6-10K miles... I have also seen a reduction in Ujoint and Carrier bearing failures.
Speaking from experience... I use a specific brand and it is not that much more expensive that the name brand Lithium grease that I was purchasing.
I use Scheaffer Specialized Lubricants Brand... #229 Moly Ultra
I only have 1 complaint about it... The red die seep out if the case is left upside down... other than that... great stuff.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:57 PM

I have been using lithium grease, since that is what the manual called for. I have been using it for the tie rod ends and also for the driveline cardan joint. I usually lube every oil change.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Thank you very much. I will look for that Scheaffer lube. Can it be had in most auto parts stores? or is it a special order thing mostly?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by HorseHauler
Thank you very much. I will look for that Scheaffer lube. Can it be had in most auto parts stores? or is it a special order thing mostly?
It is carried by dealers... a lot of privately own auto parts shops carry it... There should be a link on the schaeffer site for a local vendor.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Christov
I have been using lithium grease, since that is what the manual called for. I have been using it for the tie rod ends and also for the driveline cardan joint. I usually lube every oil change.
I understand what the manual says... but if a better quality product can save me money and provide better protection and keep my customers vehicles out of the shop and rolling... Well.....
I like making more money with the same amount of work.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The factory manual I have specifies that tie rod grease meets Natinal Lubricating Grease Institute's LB standard (the highest standard for chassis grease), but doesn't seem to say anything more specific.

I use Mobile 1's synthetic grease that meets NLGI LB and GC (the highest rating for wheel bearing applications).

I'm sure there are many choices of grease that will provide great protection, but personally I wouldn't use anything that isn't marked NLGI-LB.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:30 PM

I went to the auto parts store today and of course they didn't carry the Schefers grease, but I did pick up the Mobil 1 synthetic stuff, it didn't mention anything about lithium or soap based so I thought that was my best bet. I will keep an eye out for the Schefer stuff though.