3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Scan tool ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scan tool ?

Hi all, where can a person get a scan tool for 3rd gen's. I plan on having my truck for ever and do NOT want to go to the frendily dealer every time my light comes on, or just want to check things over. I'd like to stay under $400-500 or so depending on the quailty of the tool. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Banned

You can't really get much for your money in the $400-500 range. The laptop scan tools in the $100-200 range pretty much do the same stuff. The ones that do more in-depth stuff (like injector kill tests) run around $1k+.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Google on a DRBIII. This is the scan tool the dealer uses, and would be correct for 2005 models. Not cheap, but maybe you'll find a refurb.....

Chris
Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's an ODBII connector right ? My $70 on sale Sears ODBII scanner can read the codes, which is fine for my needs.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:25 AM

Check out the AutoEnginuity scan software. IF you get the Chrysler expansion, you can monitor just about every sensor. It will also do tests such as the Injector Kill.

The total for mine was $437. I think it is a good deal.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought one from harbor freight on sale for about $50.00(normally $80.00). Works fine for scanning, clearing codes, and tuning off check engine light.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigHornCTD
Check out the AutoEnginuity scan software. IF you get the Chrysler expansion, you can monitor just about every sensor. It will also do tests such as the Injector Kill.

The total for mine was $437. I think it is a good deal.
I have the AutoEnginuity one with enhanced version too, but it won't do the injector kill tests.

IMO the enhanced version is kind of a waste of money. The standard version does enough for most people and I can't even figure out how to read most of the enhanced sensors. If I could go back and do it again I would just spend $1k on a real scan tool instead of almost $500 on one that doesn't do all that much.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
I have the AutoEnginuity one with enhanced version too, but it won't do the injector kill tests.

IMO the enhanced version is kind of a waste of money. The standard version does enough for most people and I can't even figure out how to read most of the enhanced sensors. If I could go back and do it again I would just spend $1k on a real scan tool instead of almost $500 on one that doesn't do all that much.
Yours should do the kill test. It is under Actuations in the Enhanced Powertrain section. You select which injector to kill, then checkmark the box to enable and disable. You can also ramp up your idle, and do some other tests that I am unsure what they are.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1sttruck
It's an ODBII connector right ? My $70 on sale Sears ODBII scanner can read the codes, which is fine for my needs.

I'm with you, that's the one I have and it works excellent.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Yours should do the kill test. It is under Actuations in the Enhanced Powertrain section. You select which injector to kill, then checkmark the box to enable and disable. You can also ramp up your idle, and do some other tests that I am unsure what they are.
The option is there, but when you click it there's something that comes up and says the test can't actually be performed on this vehicle. I think 53Willy's also said his did the same thing.

Have you actually tried to perform the test yet?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Question CR Engine manuals-Scan tool reference

While we're on the subject of scanners and electronic controls, has anyone found a good manual, maybe from Cummins, on the CR engine control system for our Dodge's. What I am looking for is a manual that will provide an overview of the engine control system, the various components that make up the system and their functions as well as how they relate to the ECM.
I'm wanting to learn more about the engine control system so when it quits in the middle of nowhere I might be able to help myself. Thanks, Lektrikman
Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
The option is there, but when you click it there's something that comes up and says the test can't actually be performed on this vehicle. I think 53Willy's also said his did the same thing.

Have you actually tried to perform the test yet?
Yes-it works but you need to use the enhanced connector. If you use the regular OBD connector it will give you that message.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Banned

Yes-it works but you need to use the enhanced connector. If you use the regular OBD connector it will give you that message.
Hmmm...AutoEnginuity told me not to use the SCI connector on a CAN equipped vehicle.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:33 AM
Chapter President

The AutoEnginuity sounds interesting. Actually watch whats going on with the sensor that set the code instead of clear the code and then try to figure out what caused the code.
Or does it actually help you that much? Do they give you the specs for each sensor, or the range of operation of each sensor?
You can't adjust anything other than the programable stuff or can you even do that?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 AM

I went to the Sears website and didn't see any scanners for $70 or close to it so I went to Ebay and there is a whole page of them. How do you know which one to get and which one will work on a Dodge cummins? All I want to do is read and then clear codes and check engine light.

Quick Reply: Scan tool ?