3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Reverse gear??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse gear??

My 6sp has a definite issue with getting the lever into reverse. Just doesn't slip in, I have to work at it each time. After 1500 miles, I would have thought I'd have it figured out by now. So, the question is, are any of you other 6 speeders having this problem or should I take it in for a little adjusting?<br><br>Also, does your throw out bearing make very audible sound when sitting in neutral?<br><br>I hate going to the ******* for service and if all the manual trannys are this way, then why waste the trip.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Gary
Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 PM
RLS

Re:Reverse gear??

4000 miles this week and reverse has improved but is not real smooth. The first day I drove it I about got killed making a U turn because it would not go into gear. I also had trouble with all of the gears at first. That is almost gone.<br><br>I have no noise when not in gear or anytime except when the RPMs are still up and I push in the clutch. Then there is a weired noise and vibration but this does not occure if the RPMs are down.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:55 PM

RLS,<br><br>Then I'll wait a few thousand miles before I take it in for the reverse thing. All other gears are pretty smooth. I'm sure the throw out bearing is making some racket at idle. But that can wait till the truck gets some miles on it. I'd rather take it in with a laundry list than go ine one at a time for each problem.<br>Thanks<br><br>Gary
Old 04-16-2003, 08:02 PM

hAt first mine was a little difficult to get into reverse, I kept putting it in 5th. I thought it was just me.<br><br>Now it is much better, and I have no problems going to reverse. My truck has around 12,500 miles on it.<br><br>I do have some noise sitting in neutral without the clutch pushed in, but I don't think it's the throw out bearing. I think its just the transmission.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:23 PM

The noise I get is with the clutch out, in neutral and idling. Soon as I depress the clutch pedal it stops. My old school mentality tells me throw out bearing. But who knows, in this gee whiz age of high tech, they may not even have a throw out bearing. But I'll bet it's still there.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:11 AM

Finding R can be fussy once in a while, but its not a big deal to me. Its most noticable if I'm in a hurry, but if I take my time, R is only a LONG push away.<br><br>I'd give it some time and miles.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found that shifting into 5th gear first before going into reverse helps out. Been doing this for about 5 days now and it's much easier.<br><br>MikeyB
Old 04-17-2003, 08:01 AM

You know, if Reverse was easier to slip into, we'd be complaining about how we went to shift into 5th and hit R instead - I think we're better off having to put a little extra effort into shifting into R than grenading our trannys 'cause we hit it too easy! :
Old 04-17-2003, 08:10 AM

Mymaur, it does ondeed sound like a throwout bearing from what you describe. If that is the case, that coulod cause other problems if not looked at. I have had no problems in any gear, including reverse, from day one. I take my time shifting to allow the synchro's to do their job - this is not a speed-shift car transmission, it is a truck transmission of much heavier duty parts which take more time to overcome inertia. I would get the throwout bearing looked at, then take a little more pause going into a gear after depressing the clutch and see if that doesn't clear up some things. My old '78 GMC had that same noise at about 80k, and it was definitely the throwout bearing.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:23 AM

i HAVE TRouble shifting into 2nd from 3rd or 1st gear. have to wait about 7 seconds or double clutch. <br><br>Thinking it needs to be torn apart and get a new synchronizer.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:52 PM

Mine was a real PITA going into R for the first couple thousnad miles. It seems to have gotten a little better, but still isn't ideal.<br><br>I agree that it shouldn't just slip right in, but I think the resistance should come more from the horizontal motion than the vertical. RIght now, the horizontal resistance is twice that of going in to 5 or 6, but the vertical is just ridiculously hard. <br><br>My $.02
Old 04-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Banned

[quote author=GrandpasRam link=board=20;threadid=13686;start=0#128998 date=1050585017]<br>Mymaur, it does ondeed sound like a throwout bearing from what you describe. If that is the case, that coulod cause other problems if not looked at. I have had no problems in any gear, including reverse, from day one. I take my time shifting to allow the synchro's to do their job - this is not a speed-shift car transmission, it is a truck transmission of much heavier duty parts which take more time to overcome inertia. I would get the throwout bearing looked at, then take a little more pause going into a gear after depressing the clutch and see if that doesn't clear up some things. My old '78 GMC had that same noise at about 80k, and it was definitely the throwout bearing.<br>[/quote]<br><br>throwout bearings will usually growl when the clutch is depressed-this is when they are loaded. (bearing putting pressure on the cluth fingers to release the pressure plate from the disk)<br>I would think this noise (I have it also) is an imput shaft noise. Haven't looked at the powerflow of this tranny but I would suspect the cluster shaft rotates with the imput shaft, so lots of stuff is whirrin around in there in neutral. I don't know if it is normal or not, the old ZF I had was quieter than this NV. My tranny was terrible for the first 5k or so, last 7 is getting better but reverse is still a bit sticky. My wife thought I was nuts to buy this &quot;piece of sh*t that I can't shift&quot;. She is spoiled driving cars. I think the more miles the better it will get. I also have a planetary gear whine in 4th. Not bad just there.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if there are any differences in the 5600's from 11/2000 (when the conversion was done)to now but after 136k+ if can be difficult to get into reverse sometimes, I usually go to 1st then reverse. It feels like there is resistance when going into reverse which I believe is to keep from going into reverse when you really want 5th.<br><br>As for the T.O. bearing, mine has always been loud when idling in neutral with the clutch out. <br><br>My shift pattern when not pulling is 1st&gt;3rd&gt;5th&gt;6th.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:24 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

On my six speed the reverse has always been a bit hard to make it slip in. Found out that if I push the clutch in and then wait a few seconds with the clutch depressed before trying to put it into reverse that it slips in real easy.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Spots the noise is from the transmission. There is not any load on the throw out brg. unless the clutch is pushed.<br>I have about 12000 miles on mine and I sort of think that reverse in the six speed is like neutral in a Harley ( there is one but it is hard to find). I also find it better to go to fifth and then go for reverse.<br>Jim O

Quick Reply: Reverse gear??