Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Questions about gear ratio swap gone WRONG (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/questions-about-gear-ratio-swap-gone-wrong-260102/)

MJDiesel 12-23-2009 07:24 PM

Nothing was directed toward your posts, so dont get your panties in a bunch! And as far as protecting myself, what the @#$% do you think I am doing by seeking advice from all different angles. I hope I didn't hurt YOUR feelings.......[laugh]

scottsjeeprolet 12-23-2009 07:26 PM

I thought the carrier break was going from the 3.73's to 4.10's. Could be wrong.
Call these guys. They know rears![laugh]
http://www.ringpinion.com/

MJDiesel 12-23-2009 07:39 PM

Will do! Thanks. Thats a great site!

MJDiesel 12-23-2009 07:45 PM

It sounds like they will be closed for the holiday season until Monday.

no_6_oh_no 12-23-2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by MJDiesel (Post 2661524)
I have also heard that there is no such thing as a 3.08 axle ratio for these axles, but the shop foreman claims that they are available. I find it hard to believe what he says.

Shop foreman is lying thru his teeth, Period. The 3.42's just became available this year for the AAM 11.5 axle, before that the highest was 3.73.

The several perople I know never had any machining done to swap to the 3.42's. The 3.08's WOULD require maching or a different carrier IF they were available. Thats all Dana info he's spouting.

Go back and tell him to reasearch what he's talking about then figure out if they will make it right for you. Obviously if you paid whats right for one axle then you should have to pay for the other axle. You know what the bill was so that syour decision to make.

MJDiesel 12-23-2009 08:42 PM

Thats really what I need to figure out, is if they charged me for both gear sets and not just one. One little problem is that my reciept does not list individual parts. YES, people, I know, I know, thats a bad thing and it should have been straightened out when the vehicle was picked up. BUT, i was given a quote for a gear change in both the front and rear and the bill was very close to it, so I didn't worry. Lesson learned on my part, so there is no need to post about how I screwed up, people.

The big issue is that I did not AT ANY POINT express that I only wanted the rear ratio changed, and this is something that any shop should discuss at length if that was the case. In fact, I was surprised that this shop did in some cases install mismatched gears, but it should have still been very clear to them that I do not have a beat up 1983 Chevy farm pickup and I don't want my ride cobbled together. I could have broken the living crap out of something, since I did not know that the ratios were mismatched![verymad][verymad]

From what I have gathered here, it sounds like the shop might be joshing me around in an effort to save themselves the most money (while appearing to be honest) in this ordeal. I have to try to get to the bottom of this.

I sent AAM an email.

Lost Lake 12-24-2009 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MJDiesel (Post 2661580)
Nothing was directed toward your posts, so dont get your panties in a bunch! And as far as protecting myself, what the @#$% do you think I am doing by seeking advice from all different angles. I hope I didn't hurt YOUR feelings.......[laugh]

Well, it will take a while to untangle my panties.... [coffee]

I can see how this would happen.... Now you sit with a screwed up truck and they hold the cards... Maybe drop hints about your psycho brother that is getting out of prison next week after doing 15 years for killing the checkout girls because she rang up your groceries wrong.... [laugh]

MJDiesel 12-24-2009 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake (Post 2662031)

I can see how this would happen.... Now you sit with a screwed up truck and they hold the cards... Maybe drop hints about your psycho brother that is getting out of prison next week after doing 15 years for killing the checkout girls because she rang up your groceries wrong.... [laugh]

That might work![coffee]

NickBeek 12-24-2009 05:57 PM

Well I am no expert on gear changes, but I did do some investigating when I first got my truck about switching to 3.42 gears. When they first came out they were only available for the rear diff. Then they came out with gears for the front, but they required either a spacer or a new carrier. If I recall correctly it was about $3K - $4K to get both axles done parts and labor. I didn't have that kind of cash available so I never pursued it further. If you're estimate was for that much and says both then they owe you a front diff change. If not you may be up the stream. I also NEVER read about any machining needed for the rear carrier to use the 3.42 gears. Good luck and keep us posted.

LeaperV12 12-24-2009 06:34 PM

Not yet.
thats great info, sounds like i'll get done in a lot cheaper
thanks

and i should add, MJDiesel as longlake said: never intended or blasted you, its just that my blood boils when i see crooks taking undue advantage and making a mockery out of a simple swap and then not admitting it.

Originally Posted by Lost Lake (Post 2661571)
Well I hope you aren't crying that I hurt your feelings... I don't see anything you did wrong so I'm not blasting you. But you were screwed so it's time to man up and protect yourself. Don't let these crooks take advantage of you!

And just because a place is recommended I wouldn't put my unbiased faith in them! Obviously your situation shows you that....

And hey LeaperV12, do you have bigger tires yet? Going from stock to 33" is a change just like changing gears to 3.55's. I just put on 34" Nitto's and calculate I'm running 93.5% of stock (614 revs per mile vs 657) while the difference of going from 3.73 to 3.55 gears is 95% of stock. [coffee]

MJDiesel 12-27-2009 04:22 PM

The last time that I talked to them, they were trying to figure out how to get the front 3.42s. They were talking about trying to find an entire frontend from an 07+ model. I would really prefer to just get my 3.73 rears back, but they claim that they cannot do that, since they machined the carrier. Of course, It doesn't sound like they needed to do that. I don't know

If it really does take 3-4K to change the front and rear, then I probably only paid for one. It would be nice if they would have figured this out beforehand. I think that they did not know what the swap would actually need when I recieved the quote.

Equalizer 2 12-27-2009 11:24 PM

A radio station I listen to called an auto repair shop and asked how much it would cost for a fallopian tube and how long it would take to replace it. The guy on the phone wasn't sure but the boss was familiar with the procedure. The DJ asked if the fallopian tube was a return line to the fuel tank and the guy told him yes it was.

I wish they had said the name of the shop so the people that listened to the station would know not to go there for anything.

MJDiesel 12-27-2009 11:59 PM

. . [laugh]

DBLR 12-28-2009 03:20 PM

Wow it was not that long ago that I read some where or talked to someone that it would cost $2500 to switch over both front and rear gears to 3.24, so now reading its cost $4,000 makes one wonder what to believe.

nvr-enuf 12-28-2009 06:03 PM

Cost for conversion

break it down into simplicity:

Gears - $399 X 2 (front and rear) additional $250 if you want new axle bearings / seal / etc.
Labor - $500 X 2 (front and rear)
Misc - gear lube

That ends up being less than $2000 for complete change, front and rear.