3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

the sound no one wants to hear.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the sound no one wants to hear.......

was heading out for a quick 4 day vacation pulling a 20ft inclosed trailer full of atv's and had my usual 2000lb cabover camper on the truck. I was about 130 miles away from home in the middle of nowhere at about 10pm. we had the windows down and the radio on fairly loud when we started hearing a loud ticking noise over the sound of the truck and the wind. I quickly turned down the radio so I could hear better and it was a metalic unholy rattle coming from the engine compartment. I took a quick look at all the guages and everything read normal. I looked for a wide spot to pull over and the truck was shaking like crazy at this point with a dead miss and I can hear metal parts going through the turbo. the motor sounds like a hand full of nails in a blender and the truck is shaking so bad that its hard to read numbers on the dash. I quickly shut it down and realized we are in the middle of nowhere with next to no cell signal. the truck isnt leaking anything and still will start and run(kinda) . I pulled the air intake off the turbo and it will only rotate about 1/4 rotation because a piece of something is stuck in the exhaust side. so what do you think? dropped valve? did a seat let loose ? anyone else ever even heard of a cummins dropping a valve or loosing a seat? I had the truck towed 150 miles to my local dodge dealer and they told me they will have it apart today to see what happened. Im guessing a valve seat came loose and wedged the valve open and it contacted the piston which shattered the seat and spit pieces into the turbo. at this point im hoping the cylinder got ruined so that they will replace the whole thing. wonder if I can trade it in while its in the shop? by the way the truck was stock and is an 06 with 18 k miles and was on flat ground running 55 when this happened. anyone else ever heard of something like this hapening to a cummins?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard of anything like that, but the good news is you shouldn't have any problems with it being fully repaired under warranty. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:17 PM

I traded mine while the mechanic was on the phone with star.
Check my sig.

Bruce
Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM

The 06 in your sig.? With the Big G Mileage Miser box and intake gutted/silencer ring removed,tone ring mod or another truck thats stock?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM

thats was what i was thinking, hope you took the comp. off before you took it in, good luck
Old 11-01-2007, 05:30 PM

What gauges were you looking at? EGT? or running a fueling box without a Egt or Boost gauge.Thats leads to ruined pistons before a valve seat on a 06.Not trying to give you a hard time but see how a manufacture may look at it.Stock trucks rarely break motors and trannys.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 AM

Man that stinks bro! Hope the dealer takes care of it, they will provided you didnt have any mods on the truck. Ive got the predator now and im thinkin of taking it off before somethin like this happens and im stuck with the bill.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
The 06 in your sig.? With the Big G Mileage Miser box and intake gutted/silencer ring removed,tone ring mod or another truck thats stock?
so you think removing the silencer ring and removing the intake baffles are performance mods? LOL. these are things that dont change performance at all and are actually just supposed to un muffle the whistle sound the turbo makes. the tone ring mod changes the injection timing to the timing which came factory on these trucks just a year or so earlier. you also "obviously" dont know anything about the big G mileage miser either. its a fuel mileage box that doesnt do anything at all to fuel pressure. all it does is optimize injection timing for better fuel economy. and the big g was on my 04 at the time. I have never made any changes to my truck unless they were to gain fuel economy . performance mods are not of any interest to me. and yes , thats a stock truck. thanks for the input..... will be finding out today what exactly came apart
Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 AM

The combonation of ALL of the above is a modded truck I would think in most eyes.Take that truck in most shops with your issue and THOSE NON MOD items you have done and a RED FLAG jumps up.Don't kid yourself.The tone ring mod and the Miser box BOTH do timing and usually mix ok but not always.I hope it is a factory breakage and warrantied.Do you have a EGT gauge? Any idea what temps it was running with ONLY those NON mods?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM

With all respect. . . .the dealers are hurting and not always thinking real clearly and if you open the door with minor mods in your opinion that may be all they need to void a warranty. Hope I am wrong . . .
Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Well man, let us know how you make out. No-one wants to be in that situation (Broke down along the road at night).
Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Any updates?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Supersonic..... So what has the dealer said...... Dropped valve seat? Broken valve? Im really interested cause I have an 06 model too.... And if there are any vendor issues with the parts... I'd like to know BEFORE mine grenades... thansk..
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM

I have five bucks that says the turbo came apart. I'm betting the shaft broke and shucked some veins.

Heck I have to pick that, someone already said broken valve.

one4
Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Just curious, what dealer did you have it towed to?

Quick Reply: the sound no one wants to hear.......