3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need Help! Standard Output or HO engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help! Standard Output or HO engine

I am getting ready to purchase my first Dodge Cummins diesel. I will be using it mainly for transportation to and from work and towing a small boat on weekends. I can get a 2003 ST model with a SO engine for $3000.00 less than a 2004 ST model with an HO engine. I would like your opinions on which engine I should get. The cost savings with the SO is nice but if the HO is a better engine than I am willing to spend the extra dollars. Thanks in advance for your help in deciding which engine to buy. I can't wait to get my Diesel!
Old 11-11-2003, 10:55 PM

Re:Need Help! Standard Output or HO engine

I don't know what might have changed from the 03's but if I remember right the HO engine is beefed up internaly compared to the SO.

Things like stronger pistons & rods & an oil jet directed under the pistons for extra cooling.
I'm sure there are other diffrences that others will know about.

Also the extra torque & HP will come in handy when towing the boat.

My 03 HO is a daily driver & I tow a 5500# enclosed trailer about twice a month.
I've never driven a SO engine but I can tell you I love the HO weather just driving around or towing!!
JMO
Old 11-11-2003, 11:37 PM

Buy the HO, you will get more than your money back when it comes to sell it.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having test driven both the SO and HO the HO is the only way to go.

MikeyB
Old 11-12-2003, 08:18 AM

If for no other reason, resale is why you need the HO. I haven't seen a SO on a dodge dealers lot since the 48RE came out. No one orders an SO.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:53 AM

After driving both, I can say the the HO is the only way I would have gone. The difference in performance even unloaded was pretty amazing.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:00 AM

Having test drove both myself before purchasing my HO, the HO is the only way to go. I know my dealer only had one SO on the lot. I think I heard that for 04 the SO would go away.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:23 AM

What RamDan03 said. GET THE HO!!! I drove them both also. You won’t be disappointed. I pull my duck boat and it’s fantastic setting the cruse on 75 and not slowing down for the hills on I-70 west.

Buy a 2004 you will save in the long run when you go to sell it.

Check my signature for the deal I got.

I’ll be coming to Slidell to race model gas boats next year. All my friends from here have a blast in your town.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:54 PM

When I was looking way back when, I test drove a 47RE SO and was underwhelmed. Not sure if it was due to the SO or the automatic tranny, or both.

One drive in my HO 6-shooter was a night & day difference. I bought it same day. Not sure how much of a difference the HO makes in a slushbox truck.

If it was me wondering where to plunk my cash down:
Given a choice between a 47 or 48 tranny on an ST, I'd go with the 48; if both trucks have the 48 tranny - save the cash and get the SO and get it optioned out a little nicer.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:17 PM

I had an HO 6spd and I downgraded to a 48RE SO (got money back and 4X4 and a brand new truck out of it). I have to say that I miss the power and the manual transmission a lot. I figured that the SO has roughly the same HP/TQ as the older Cummins', so I can't be that bad, right?

I have been towing a 2000# empty weight trailer around with it and it hauls it no problem whatsoever. I'll be loading it up with a 4000# SUV soon hauling a total of 6000# so I will let you guys know how it goes.

It sucks having some regrets about this truck but when big snow falls and I throw her in 4X4 I'm sure that will all change.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Banned

You can't beat having a HO. (Bragging rights ;D)
Saying that if you could get a S.O SLT for the same coin as a ST HO then the 3g might buy you some more options for the truck?? Your call, your money. HO will be a 6 spd, SO will be a five speed. You are getting a stick, AREN'T YOU??????????
Old 11-12-2003, 07:38 PM

HO baby HO!!

No less than the HO.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per the Cummins site the differences seem to be an additional oil spray on the HO pistons as it runs hotter, programming, and bigger injectors compared to the CARB SO. The CARB SO runs cooler, where I've seen one reply stating that per Cummins it will result in longer engine life, but it evidently also generates more soot as it has the 3750mi severe duty oil change instead of the 7500mi oil change on the other two engines.

If you know you're going to be towing get the HO, if you have the cash get the HO, if you plan on selling it soon get the HO, otherwise don't worry and enjoy it. I have the SO, so far don't use it for towing, and payload doesn't seem to slow it down. I wasn't going to get a truck this year as I couldn't find an affordable short box HO ST with a manual, but I did find a new SO for price that I have yet to see anyone come close to beating. Eventually I'll put some bigger injectors and a mild box on it, but other items have higher priority.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:40 PM

Okay, just got back home from work and am reading your response's. Look's like I'm getting the H.O.! That's the engine I was partial to but I guess I just needed to here it from somebody else. I went to a dealership here in Slidell, La. and they had about (10) 2500 QC's with the diesel H.O. but they all had the long bed. Will look in Baton Rouge this weekend when I go deer hunting to see if any dealer's have the 2 wheel drive with the short bed. Just want to say thank's to everybody that responded and I will let you know when I get my new truck! Hey Clean 10X! I have a couple of friends who went duck hunting this past weekend. All of them were back at the launch by 7:30a.m. with their limits. Was a mix of teal, mallards, gray's and dogris. They said it looks like a good year ahead!

Quick Reply: Need Help! Standard Output or HO engine