3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mixing gasoline with diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd use it to kill weeds in the driveway.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:56 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetwaterguy
I have a gallon of gas/oil mixture for my snowblower. The gas is a year old and I need to get rid of it and put fresh gas in my snowblower.
I've spent the extra buck or 3 and purchase Stabil. I make sure its in the gasoline in the lawnmower, weedeater and generator that I know will either sit for the winter season or in the case of the generator that I start every month, won't see fresh gas for 6 months.

Stabil works on the FM principal to keep your fuel fresh, thus not requiring dumping into a $15k engine.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:16 AM

I'm not saying a little gas in your diesel is gonna kill you. I don't recomend it on a regular basis...and definitely not when your low on that liquid gold we call diesel.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 PM

I know of quite a few farmers that will pump 5 bucks of unleaded into their trucks in the cold winter days to keep the fuel from gelling. I was also told by Mark at TST products that he pumped 3/4 tank unleaded into his truck once before noticing what he did and simply went in and bought a quart of motor oil and dumped into his tank. He said it smoked but ran fine. I have never had to worry about this but from the guys I know that have done it I really trust them and their judgement. As for if it is right or wrong we all know it is wrong but if you're on a highway somewhere and there are no stations that sell diesel near you and you don't want to run out would you try it? I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, if I am ever in that situation. And as far as the gelling goes I run Howes in every tank, every time, all year. I do that because a friend has 326,000 miles on his 03 with the factory injection pump and injectors. He had a lift pump go out at around 285,000 but he runs Howes every tank. Maybe he has just been extreamly lucky but his mileage was enough to convince me to use it. Who knows what makes things last, we all just do whatever we think works. To each his own....
Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 PM

A good buddy of mine filled up his "fraud", and just about killed it.
He is a fitter and turner by trade and was able to do the necessary himself.
Apparently this was a major PIA.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:36 AM

35 gals of diesel to 1 gal of stale pemix...? 2 stroke OIL in the premix? dump it in there or dump it in the creek...NOT...my father used to put gas (1-2 gals)in the over-the-road trucks he made a living with(to assist the combustion)in cold/damp winter weather conditions(9 trucks/all with Cummins engines)... it won't hurt IMO, or dump it in the creek....
Old 12-24-2006, 10:48 AM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
I dont mean to sound harsh, BUT why not put DIESEL in your DIESEL engine!!!!! Man some of the stuff that people put in their deisel fuel tanks. I think on the fuel cap it says DIESEL ONLY. Why the sam hill do people put other crap in their diesel tanks. The components of the high pressure rail system on these truck are not cheap. "My buddy" "My grandapa" "someone I know" put this is his diesel tank does not cut it for me! Sorry about the ranting..

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:21 PM

Yeah hard to believe anyone would even contemplate dumping gas, or old stale 2 stroke gas at that , into such an expensive diesel engine. I might rag on somebody for wasting money on additives but that's no where near as dumb as dumping gas in a deisel unbelieveable..
Old 12-24-2006, 02:37 PM

Volkswagon recommends 20-30% gasoline for cold weather operation of it's diesel engines. Cummins recommends up to 50% kerosene during the winter. Old man Diesel himself said that the true value of his engines wouldn't be fully appreciated until people used alternative fuels. Not hard for me to imagine why people would wonder about different fuel combinations. I have no doubt that dumping a little gas/oil mix in the tank to get rid of it would be completely benign. You'd never know it was there. I've done the same thing myself for the same reason. Better than throwing it in the creek.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:05 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
I didnt see anything in my owners manual that said I could put kerosene in my tank. If its in there im sorry and apoligize. I can see doing that with the 1st gen engines, but with the new fuel sytems I think its not wise. I know if I was a dealer that provided warranty work and I knew a customer was putting gas in the fuel tank or some other thing like 2 stroke or ATF I would have issues fixing a part of the fuel system that failed. On page 281 of my owners manual it says WARNING! do not use alcohol or gasoline as a fuel blending agent. Just my opinion, I know it doesnt mean much
Old 12-24-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BEARHUNTER
Just my opinion, I know it doesnt mean much
my grandpa agrees! lol jk
Old 12-24-2006, 05:28 PM

Why take the chance, save the gasoline for next season, and save the wear that it would cause to your "Diesel Fuel Only" Engine!
You know a little common sense goes a long, long way. Better safe than sorry.
That's my Two Cents.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:02 PM

I didnt see anything in my owners manual that said I could put kerosene in my tank.
In my owner's manual it's on page 276.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:06 PM

I didnt see anything in my owners manual that said I could put kerosene in my tank.
What you pump into your tank at the truck stop or filling station is #2 diesel fuel. Kerosene is #1 diesel fuel. Kerosene has cetane just like diesel and will not harm a diesel engine. All it is more or less is #2 diesel that's refined a little more.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
lots of new guys chiming here.

do a search, lots of old posts about guys filling their tank with gas.

here's what I did:
put in 15 gallons of Super.
stopped, topped off diesel.

drove home, put a piece of PVC on the fuel filter drain canister hose,
opened the valve, and drained ~15 gallons out (3 5 gal cans)

put in a quart of oil (to regain lubricity)
refilled with diesel, ran fine.

do a search, you won't hurt it.

most of the 12v's are burning their used motor oil, and i was burning it in my 04 24v. still lost a lift pump (had always been weak) with all that lubrication.

Quick Reply: Mixing gasoline with diesel