3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

LSD after the fact

Old 01-11-2003, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSD after the fact

Has anyone who owned a 2nd gen Dually ever replace the stock rear diff with a LSD. My truck did not come with one and it sure would come in handy when I'm trying to load something on the trailer in the mud and take off.

I assume they have to pull the axles out to install one. I was actually looking to having my dealer install one for me. If its around $600 bones I would'nt mind paying it just to have the head ache of not having to deal with messing with a warrentied vechicle. The Mechanics at the local dodge dealership are pretty good guys and I trust them to work on my truck.

What do you think ??? is this something I could handle in a weekend with a friend or something to leave to the dealership. I'm fairly knowledgeable about rebuilding engines and have the smarts when working on stuff I've just never installed a LSD on a rear wheel drive car, on FWD I have but not on a RWD vechicle. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:53 PM

Re:LSD after the fact

This is just my opinion, but you would have to be out of your mind to install the factory lsd after the fact. From the factory that option is a bargain at under 300 dollars, and the factory model doesn't suck.

After the fact you will be closer to 1000 dollars than 300 (the squealer would probably charge upwards of double that) and a much better lsd like an Auburn could be had for the same or less money.

You should at least consider putting an air-locker in the diff you have.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:04 PM

I'm not a big fan of air lockers. I'm looking for something that will be transparent when I need it. Unfortunatly I did not get to choose options on my truck and never thought about the LSD till I got stuck in the mud one day and the four wheel drive made no difference. If I was ordering my truck I would have gotten the LSD. <br><br>I guess I'll keep my eyes open for an aftermarket unit or sweet talk my parts guy into cutting me a deal on the unit and I'll install it myself. How hard can it be?<br>
Old 01-11-2003, 07:39 PM

Ton<br><br>Why didn't you just waltze down to your dealer and order EXACTLY what you wanted?<br><br>Just curious Hunter
Old 01-11-2003, 11:09 PM

Auburn is a nice units and so is the eaton, they both are rebuildable. Chrysler did use auburn as factory for awhile not sure what they use now GM uses Eaton. either unit should be able to be gotten for under 500.00. as far as instalation it is straight forward as long as u are not changing gears remove the old carrier unbolt the ring gear and reinstall. make sure not to mix up the factory shims and caps. no real break in necessary as the gears are already broken in. make sure what ever unit you use follow there recomedation for LSD addative. My new eaton unit suggests not using synthetic. Hope this helps<br><br>Dan