3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Low speed shudder & squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low speed shudder & squeak

My 2004 6-speed 4X4 has 48k on it. I just noticed that in second gear there is a rhythmic squeak and a shudder or vibration at about 6 to 10 MPH. Then I hear a high-pitched bird-song up to about 20 mph. I only hear the noise through my open window, and it seems to be coming from below the truck. I feel the shudder. Before I take it to the dealer, any idea what this might be? Im thinking u-joint. I don't think it's the clutch, because it happens with the clutch out, and if I speed up and slow down it returns. Any suggestion how I could check it myself before I take it in?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:01 PM

I heard exactly the same thing. Then it went away, and then I found that my U joint was gone. What I did to isolate the squeak though was: Lift one of the rear wheels off the ground, put truck in neutral. e brake off. Very slowly turn the lifted wheel until you hear the squeak. I heard mine right away and it was coming from the rubber rings in one of the U joints. Shortly after the squeak went away a low sounding vibration started when ever I lifted my foot off throttle. Now I'm getting a new U joint. In my truck all this happened at about 58,000 miles. I hope this helps. At least the test is free .
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 PM

Thanks, redneck1. I'll check it out in the morning.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Banned

I seem to have developed this today. Took a road trip from RI to Carlisle, PA and now when I slow down, at about 20 mph or so, I get a shudder. No squeak (yet?) and as soon as I touch the gas to accelerate, it disappears completely.

It's only when I'm decelerating, with or without the tranny engaged. 4WD doesn't make any difference. I guess I'll take it in and have them look at the U joints.

Oh yeah, I've got 32K on her.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:45 PM

What did you find?

Originally posted by joel
I seem to have developed this today. Took a road trip from RI to Carlisle, PA and now when I slow down, at about 20 mph or so, I get a shudder. No squeak (yet?) and as soon as I touch the gas to accelerate, it disappears completely.

It's only when I'm decelerating, with or without the tranny engaged. 4WD doesn't make any difference. I guess I'll take it in and have them look at the U joints.

Oh yeah, I've got 32K on her.
Joel, what did you find? My started doing about the same. I did a quick check of the joints but nothing ovius.

Thanks, T
Old 05-11-2005, 04:47 PM

My tiny shudder and squeak developed quickly into a major shudder and vibration at all speeds, so I took it into the dealer. They kept it for six days and replaced the entire driveline and the rear end ring and pinion. What was causing the shudder was a frozen U-joint at the rear end. The service manager suspected that this was caused by the drive line being out of balance, and since it was under warranty, he just had it all replaced. Then when they test drove it they noticed the whine in the rear end. I had heard it, too, since I bought the truck, but I thought (mistakenly) that it was just normal noise. Now that it's all replaced, she's smooth and quiet. The deterioration from a tiny squeek to a huge vibration took just a few days and a few hundred miles. I'm sooo glad it happened under warranty! All I payed was $100 deductible on the drive line. Just crossed 50k miles.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Banned

Re: What did you find?

Originally posted by picdodge
Joel, what did you find? My started doing about the same. I did a quick check of the joints but nothing ovius.

Thanks, T
Ammm... it went away. Hasn't come back, either. I'm confused.