3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Low Side Pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Side Pressure problem

I have a problem that surfaced recently that is causing some headaches... I used to have a noise problem with my Raptor, making a horrible squealing noise when priming. When it would happen the pressure would build very slowly leading into the CP3, and it would have trouble starting (much like if you didn't prime/bump starter after a FF change). I pulled my filters off, checked them, checked the hoses and fittings on my 2micron setup, and all was well. No leaks. So I put the filters back on, prime the truck, but after about 6 sessions of priming, the low side pressure is showing only about 6psi. Typically it will jump to ~12 while the grids are cycling, and up to about 13 when they stop before start up. I crank the truck and same thing. Once the truck starts, it seems to run just fine. FP gauge shows ~14 at idle and drops a little under wide open throttle. I checked the inlet screen on the pump, it's clean, tightened the fittings on the inlet/outlet sides of the pump, and went on my way. Truck sat for about 4 days, I go to take it to work the other day, and I hear no noise from the pump, and pressure builds real fast, like how it used to. Awesome. Truck fires up like normal and I'm on my way.

Now to yesterday. Truck had been sitting for a few days, was about 15* overnight, truck not plugged in. Get in, let the WTS light go out, no pump noise, pressure up real fast, and it fires up well. Took it to work where it sat for about 8hrs, much warmer, and then I go out to start it to leave and pressure builds very slow, and has longer starts.

So now there's no pump noise, but I am not getting any good pressure while the pump primes. Any ideas? Thanks

-J
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 AM

The pump may be failing, most likely from the squealing. You could check to insure its getting 12 volts to the pump.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Thanks I will check that among other things this weekend. The squeeling is now gone, but the pump is just real slow to build initial pressure now...

-J